Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven Lies Video @ Pebble Beach

Tue, Oct 16 2018 1:23 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Oct 14 2018 8:03 AM

Am sure that helps, but I have also watched FMags and JoeM on UEL and they are not necessarily hitting "garden spots" all the time.  

I recall one hole on Olympic where I think Mags caught a tree on the right of hole 10 into heavy rough, punched out, went through the fairway into the rough again, but still managed to save par on the first hole!  That while it may have been a little ugly was an outstanding par save from what would likely be a bogey or double for a lot of people.  He then went on to make a stretch of birdies... 

Doesn't mean those garden spot rounds don't happen but knowing how to minimize or being able to minimize and rebound from those bad lies is absolutely crucial to saving a round.  

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2018 7:38 AM
    DonCaron:

I'm a retired carpenter, can't you tell. Try doing a stairway door. lol

Don

lol :)
  • MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2018 7:42 AM

pmm711:
    If you know all the “Garden Spots”, and can hit them, UEL becomes a regular round of golf. That’s why players can shoot great scores in UEL because they take the UELs out of the game.

hitting a garden spot doesnt mean a flat regular lie, there are a lot of holes that the garden spot still has a good size side slope or something tricky, good scores are gained by doing the right thing at the right time

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2018 11:22 AM

MartyFlanagan:
    hitting a garden spot doesnt mean a flat regular lie,

Marty, I understood Paul to suggest that "garden spot" meant the flat black lies you can occasionally get or at least the flattest portion of the fairway... so at least I read his reference to mean trying to optimize a flat regular lie.  

I would not classify something as a garden spot if it wasn't a relatively flat or "level black" lie which is about as good as you can hope for in UEL.  I think you may be suggesting that some holes simply do not appear to offer any legitimate "garden spots" so you will almost always have holes where you have a reasonable slope to deal with.  

In those situations, I have seen some creative options as laying well back off the tee and not necessarily bombing driver on every hole, which also sounds a bit like what you are suggesting as proper course management with UEL.  

ugh... don't know how my posts got stuck on all bold font, but I can't fix it. sorry

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2018 12:42 PM

I always just assumed the garden spot meant you had landed on the fairway, irrespective of the lie.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2018 1:58 PM

i agree #nicole for some that may all garden spot means, but I felt in regards to the discussion of  UEL "garden spot" also directly implied a "sweet spot" particular flat spot of the fairways.

seeing as very few people try to plant a garden on a slope as it would wash the seeds and plants away quickly in a rain... hence finding the "garden spot" also implies aiming for the flattest part of the fairway which will give you the best possible lie without slope.

for UEL if you get a "black lie" indication you are definitely on a "garden spot" as I understand it.  a lot of "green lies" are also pretty good but when you get into yellow, red, etc...even on the fairway...you are usually playing for safety.

at least that is how I interpret it, others can do so differently...

btw, I have tried several options to turn the bold type off and haven't been able to do so. I don't know how it got started but it won't seem to go away

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 11:25 AM
    el3n1:
    for UEL if you get a "black lie" indication you are definitely on a "garden spot" as I understand it.  a lot of "green lies" are also pretty good but when you get into yellow, red, etc...even on the fairway...you are usually playing for safety.
    rather than confusing people that are trying to learn the game, if you're not sure of what you're talking about please just read the forum and don't make comments. I was looking for that black,green, red spots to land my shot and there isn't any such color indications. I'm trying to learn and you're wanting to increase your number of forum responses Siders Best PS: Yes, I know after I land the indicator lets me know what type of lie I have gotten myself into based on color and pitch
  • duffputt
    314 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 12:47 PM

You just need to know the individual holes and write it in a notebook.

Example Olympic no 4.

Standard rule is aim 10Y left of green and add 15Y to the remaining distance. And from that point you take wind into consideration. Pouff! Inside 10 feet everytime

This goes for the entire Olympic course mostly. Fairways tilts the same from right to left. So you always have the same UE point to aim for. 

Also use the pitch shot at bit more since sideway movements arent so extreme as using 60Y wedge full shot type.

And no full backspin on an upslope. Play neutral spin. This goes for wedgeplay.

And KNOW the gardenspots, its essentiel

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 1:23 PM

SidersBest:
    if you're not sure of what you're talking about please just read the forum and don't make comments. I was looking for that black,green, red spots to land my shot and there isn't any such color indications.

seems you misread my post.  I never stated you receive those indication before you hit the shot.  but you "get those indications" once in the fairway.  

As #duff and others have stated... you have to learn the "garden spots" or level lies to give yourself easier approaches.  -- takes notes, map the fairways to remind yourself...

I care not whether I increase my forum responses, and typically only post if I feel I can clarify what I have read about in the forums or learned by playing.  I don't speak or write in definitive terms or assume what I have learned is the only way to play.  Others may have something more to offer or clarify what I have shared.  

And yes, you can, just as I have learned a great deal from the forums.  it is the execution and putting all you learn into play that is the more challenging part.  

• PAGES
RSS