Forums

Help › Forums

Tiger Woods haters just had it forcefully and permanently stuck in their craw

Tue, Apr 16 2019 12:44 PM (77 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 1:31 PM

Robert1893:
    OK. Fair enough. It's just with your knowledge of the game, I was really interested in your opinion on number of wins he might get to.

I watched every shot of every round of his this tournament (thanks to iPads,Masters.com and sound piped through the shop stereo-LOL)) and I'm not sure he can maintain the incredible focus and patience he did this time.

You didn't see the typical disgusted looks and posture dumps that usually accompanied poor shots. It was like he was already into the recovery after he made a poor shot. No histrionics, no disgust, just a determination. He wanted this.

I don't think that level of intensity is possible every time out at his age but thinking it might be is something to look forward to. :-)

• joebenner3
    188 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 1:47 PM

The thing i hate woods is that quite awhile ago when Stewart pane died everyone was playing in a tournament and they all decided to quit golfing to go to his funeral...all but woods! he said it might ruin his concentration...now come on now that's what i call a low life!

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 1:57 PM

wasn't Faldo down by 6 shots in the final round when he beat Norman....Baldrick was down...what 3? at the max....

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 2:19 PM

YankeeJim:

I watched every shot of every round of his this tournament (thanks to iPads,Masters.com and sound piped through the shop stereo-LOL)) and I'm not sure he can maintain the incredible focus and patience he did this time.

You didn't see the typical disgusted looks and posture dumps that usually accompanied poor shots. It was like he was already into the recovery after he made a poor shot. No histrionics, no disgust, just a determination. He wanted this.

I don't think that level of intensity is possible every time out at his age but thinking it might be is something to look forward to. :-)

The website (masters.com) and the app were fantastic. I didn't even watch any on TV. It was better with my laptop and iPad.

I think you're correct about the focus and determination that he had for this tournament. His reaction on 18 was absolutely terrific. And for the crowd to respond like they did. It was all definitely magical. And the shot at 16 was reminiscent of Nicklaus in 86. 

Really good stuff. 

Still, with the US Open at Pebble Beach... it would be something to see him go back-to-back.

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 2:22 PM

America's cup....USA down 8-1 in a best of 17...won

ALCS 2004..Red Sox down 3 games to 0...won

Patriots down 28-3 vs the Falcons in the SuperBowl...won

there are dozens of others that outrank this.

this tournament is milleniums away from being the greatest comeback in sports...

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 2:23 PM

Ducati916:
    wasn't Faldo down by 6 shots in the final round when he beat Norman....Baldrick was down...what 3? at the max....

You do realize that this thread goes back to last year, yes? The original post is referring to when Tiger won at East Lake (i.e. the Tour Championship). 

The reference to Tiger's comeback is not referring to him him coming from behind to win this year's Masters. It's referring to his overall comeback. 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 2:24 PM

Ducati916:

America's cup....USA down 8-1 in a best of 17...won

ALCS 2004..Red Sox down 3 games to 0...won

Patriots down 28-3 vs the Falcons in the SuperBowl...won

there are dozens of others that outrank this.

this tournament is milleniums away from being the greatest comeback in sports...

See my post above. Respectfully, you're missing the point.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 2:28 PM

Robert1893:
    Respectfully, you're missing the point.

Exactly.  Years in the making versus a single triumph doesn't compare. 

p.s., @Ducati- The Bills' comeback against Houston in 1992 AFC Wildcard game trumps every one of those.  :-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 2:39 PM

Robert1893:
    You do realize that this thread goes back to last year, yes? The original post is referring to when Tiger won at East Lake (i.e. the Tour Championship).

That's my bad. Rather than starting a new thread, I went looking for a post I remember from a while ago that trashed Tiger saying he was washed up, done, a nothing burger these days but stumbled across the post.by Lucky that epitomized what I wanted to point out.

I knew the naysayers would show up.  ;-)

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:01 PM

YankeeJim:

That's my bad. Rather than starting a new thread, I went looking for a post I remember from a while ago that trashed Tiger saying he was washed up, done, a nothing burger these days but stumbled across the post.by Lucky that epitomized what I wanted to point out.

I knew the naysayers would show up.  ;-)

Good on you.

And looking back on my post on the first page, I take that one back now. I think Tiger's comeback is greater than Hogan's. It's remarkable. And this win ranks up there with the greatest wins of all time. 

RSS