Forums

Help › Forums

Elevation of ball on green?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 18 2021 1:11 PM (6 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 11:31 PM

I have noticed that sometimes the elevation at the ball location on the green is not zero.  When not zero, it is usually -1.

As I understand it, all elevations shown should be relative to the ball location (anywhere on the course, actually), so how could this be?

More importantly, should we ignore that or just use relative numbers in this case?

For example, if I have a putt that shows a drop of 6 inches (-6 at hole), but the elevation at the ball is shown as down 1 (-1), would you assume a drop of 6 inches or 5 inches?

I use the relative distance (-5 inches in the example), but don't have enough experience to know if this always is better.  Anyone have any input?

I suppose I should get on the putting green and see if I can duplicate this and test it.

Enquiring minds want to know!

• DeirdreO
    90 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 9:31 PM

That is very interesting.  I’m an inquiring mind, so look forward to someone answering your question.  I sure don’t know.  

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Thu, Aug 30 2018 5:25 PM

There are some heavy hitters that frequent this forum!!  Where are they when you need them??

Come on, guys and gals!

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Sat, Sep 1 2018 6:27 PM

Good stuff Goldeena. For enquiring minds thirsting for information... sips of water just don't cut it. The best remedy is a nice fire hydrant. -Keith

• GeorgeMaskee
    35 Posts
    Sat, Apr 17 2021 9:39 AM

I noticed the same problem too. On current PC app the ball is always at -1 inch. But on practice green it is 0.0 inch. Very confusing.

During tournaments when the hole is at -0.5 inches it is actually a 0.5 inch uphill putt. It is hard to read those putts. WGT should do somethink with it!

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sun, Apr 18 2021 1:11 PM

GeorgeMaskee:
    During tournaments when the hole is at -0.5 inches it is actually a 0.5 inch uphill putt. It is hard to read those putts.

A couple things to try:

1.  Click on the 4-way arrow on the screen and look at the dots moving north-south.  On some putts, you'll see the dots (aka the grain) moving toward you.  That's a good indication that you should add a little to your distance to compensate.

2.  Move the aimer box between your ball and the hole and note any elevation changes along your intended line.  Sometimes when you have a putt that (at the hole) shows -0.5 inches, you see that the elevation actually goes uphill first and then downhill... or downhill and then uphill.  

Hope this helps.

RSS