Forums

Help › Forums

Eliminate wedges on greens

Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:27 AM (141 replies)
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 4:22 PM

Mbarrettwcc:

Yeah, this went just about as I expected it to go, which is why I typically avoid the public forums... It is filled mostly with sycophantic WGT apologists and people without the mental nuance to discern drizzle from a hurricane, simply because both make you wet.

To the clown (EDITED) accusing me of being a fake, I am probably one of the only people on here who has met multiple other players in person. My picture is recent and I didn't become a legend in 18 months, it more like 6. I am a also a 6' tall female who once played to single digit handicap and I hit it out there with most guys. I am sorry you are at level 104 and are still a Master, but your fear of intelligent women won't help you there.

To the rest of the people who replied with idiotic comments that completely missed my point, please take note:

1 - YES, I know any club can be hit anywhere.

2 - YES, I know Phil once flopped a wedge on a green under extenuating circumstances. Rickie Fowler did it recently as well. 

3 - The above shots were in the spirit of the game and done from necessity. They weren't hit for any other reason. They are also clear exceptions to the rule.

4 - The full wedge on greens in WGT is abused. It isn't even debatable. Who in golf would elect to pitch or attempt to flop a ball from 80 feet away on a green with a clear run to the hole and no severe breaks? And if they did, it certainly wouldn't be easy. Heck, most golfers wouldn't do it from a fairway! It is absurd and if you can't comprehend or accept the ludicrousness of the shot, then may God have mercy on your brain. It clearly violates the spirit of the game and the shot itself. 

5 - It is used because it is easier to judge longer distances with a wedge than it is with a putter, especially on slick greens with break, end of story. And because of that, the integrity of the game is violated, as a putt would be the play in golf. When you intentionally violate the integrity of the game, that is a form of cheating.

WGT could care less about anything but money, so I know nothing will be done. They can't even fix the missing pins on mobile games, as they are too worried about adding new ball effects and other ways to take your money. I know it won't change, but it had to be addressed.

What made me post this was a guy who hit a wedge on a green from about 20 feet and holed on the first quick check release. I am not even sure what shot was used, but it was a wedge. It was a left to right, side hill putt, with maybe 2 feet of break. Very hard to make the putt, but he knew how to hit that exact distance with whatever wedge shot he perfected, and he nailed it. I couldn't believe what I saw.  It was a situation where you'd never ever see anything but a putter considered. But, he played the odds. If that is what this game is about to come to, where holing wedges on greens is easier than putting, then I think it is safe to say there is a problem looming.

Referring to last paragraph ^^^^^^^,   like I said earlier in this thread,  Someone got beat by someone who wedged a shot from the green, and now they are pissed!  And crying foul!!!!!

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 4:39 PM

"Yeah, this went just about as I expected it to go, which is why I typically avoid the public forums..."

If you refer to opposing views as "idiotic", then it's best you continue to avoid the forums.

ct

ps: Chris DiMarco faced a long uphill putt against Tiger Woods and wedged it to within a few inches...why?...because he is better with the wedge than the putter. Woods applauded the shot.

• Mbarrettwcc
    81 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 6:34 PM

ct690911:

"Yeah, this went just about as I expected it to go, which is why I typically avoid the public forums..."

If you refer to opposing views as "idiotic", then it's best you continue to avoid the forums.

It's also probably best you stop quitting games everytime someone doesn't play by your rules...very childish.

A - I won the game where the guy chipped in

B - I never quit a game because someone wedged it

C - Anybody can cite outliers of wedge usage... it doesn't change the original point that they are often used against the spirit of the game here. If you can't accept it, than that is your issue.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 7:13 PM

In all fairness, the OP does have a point. Be it a glitch in the programming or whatever, the wedge shot on a green is too easy.

I played a guy the other night who used it on all but two putts, Nice guy, and I did win the match, mainly because for once I was putting lights out. But he said it was just plain an easier shot to get close, and he did indeed get close on every one from long range.

So the real question is not whether the shot is legal. Of course it is. But the programming could use review.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 7:39 PM

K7JBQ:

In all fairness, the OP does have a point. Be it a glitch in the programming or whatever, the wedge shot on a green is too easy.

I played a guy the other night who used it on all but two putts, Nice guy, and I did win the match, mainly because for once I was putting lights out. But he said it was just plain an easier shot to get close, and he did indeed get close on every one from long range.

So the real question is not whether the shot is legal. Of course it is. But the programming could use review.

You said he got it close,  on all but 2.those Par 3s? On the par 4s, that means he scored  pars? Par 5s birdies? Best he could have shot was 4 maybe 5 under, if that.  (Probably more like minus 3?)You didn't say that he made any wedge shots, that being the case his score really wasn't anything to write home about.  Also tells me that his avg distance to pin, wasn't that good either, if he was using a wedge to get close.  I guess what Im wondering is, what was the advantage to the wedge? 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 7:41 PM

PS, not doubting, just can't figure out why he would use the wedge, for anything under say 30 feet

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 8:07 PM

I asked him that, and his answer was pretty funny. He said it put his "rounds with 12 putts or under" stat off the charts, as he said those shots don't count as putts.

He was using range balls, so the extra hits didn't bother him.

Truth be told, he scored pretty well for using range balls from the tips.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 8:19 PM

K7JBQ:
    I asked him that, and his answer was pretty funny. He said it put his "rounds with 12 putts or under" stat off the charts, as he said those shots don't count as putts.

I always wondered if those shots were counting as putts for statistics. I saw one guy who had his putting average per hole at less than 1.0. But I think his one-putt percent was less than mine. And he said he used wedges on the green.

• TyMacni
    1,573 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 8:37 PM

Dear Mbarrettwcc 

To the clown (EDITED) accusing me of being a fake,  (1) I am probably one of the only people on here who has met multiple other players in person. My picture is recent and  (2)  I didn't become a legend in 18 months, it more like 6. I am a also a 6' tall female who once played to single digit handicap and I hit it out there with most guys. I am sorry you are at level 104 and are still a Master, but your fear of intelligent women won't help you there.

(1)  I think it is great that you were able to meet fellow players in person. It is something I would find enjoyable.

(2)  I sincerely  congratulate you on your success in both the Real and Virtual Worlds of Golf.

Regarding use of the Full wedge on the Green:  

1.  It is legal, weather or not someone agrees with it is irrelevant.

2.  Weather or not it is unethical, violates the spirit or integrity of the game, or is a form of Cheating is an opinion.   For the record, I believe each of us is entitled to their own without criticism.  

To the rest of the people who replied with idiotic comments that completely missed m point, please take note:   Fact or Opinion, I understand each of your 5 points.  For points 4 and 5   I have presented a counter point. Weather I agree with your point or the counter point both are opinions.

1 - YES, I know any club can be hit anywhere.  Is Fact.  I understand the point.

2 - YES, I know Phil once flopped a wedge on a green under extenuating circumstances. Rickie Fowler did it recently as well. Is Fact.  I understand the point.

3 - The above shots were in the spirit of the game and done from necessity. They weren't hit for any other reason. They are also clear exceptions to the rule. Is Opinion.  I understand the point.

4 - The full wedge on greens in WGT is abused. It isn't even debatable. Who in golf would elect to pitch or attempt to flop a ball from 80 feet away on a green with a clear run to the hole and no severe breaks? And if they did, it certainly wouldn't be easy. Heck, most golfers wouldn't do it from a fairway! It is absurd and if you can't comprehend or accept the ludicrousness of the shot, then may God have mercy on your brain. It clearly violates the spirit of the game and the shot itself.    Is Opinion.  I understand the point.  Counter Point:  In any situation in Golf, and being within the Rules, who in Golf would not elect the option they find most successful ?

5 - It is used because it is easier to judge longer distances with a wedge than it is with a putter, especially on slick greens with break, end of story. And because of that, the integrity of the game is violated, as a putt would be the play in golf. When you intentionally violate the integrity of the game, that is a form of cheating Is Opinion.  I understand the point.    Counter Point:  Again,  In any situation in Golf, and being within the Rules, who in Golf would not elect the option they find most successful ?

A question for all:  Is the use of full driver of the Tee in WGT abused.

Answer:   Any answer, Yes or No, with all the supporting reason and logic, is an opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.

My Best Wishes for Continued Success,

TyMacni

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 9:32 AM

Reply to TyMacni:  To bad you didn't read my counterpoint entry, would have saved yourself a lot of typing.  my nickle.....

RSS