Forums

Help › Forums

Eliminate wedges on greens

Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:27 AM (141 replies)
  • newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 7:29 AM

You think that is lame, try getting hounded out of a club you enjoyed being it because of chipping on the green

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 10:26 AM

Mbarrettwcc:
    4 - The full wedge on greens in WGT is abused. It isn't even debatable.
    This postulation without any arguments contra previous arguments (rules, harm etc.) shows that you have a religious POV on that matter - impossible to reply to belief with reason. I'm stopping here without regret.

One last word:

Mbarrettwcc:
    It is used because it is easier to judge longer distances with a wedge than it is with a putter,
    Well, this would be perfectly fit to the rules and spirit of golf. Rule 2-1 and rule 3-1 both mean to say "You win when you need less shots than the other". Making it easier for oneself (within the rules) shows better wit and better skills - you lose!

(and since you think that the wedge shot on the green is surreal, think of those dart shots with 3I, stopping on the dime - not surreal?)

At the end of the day, it's but a computer game!

Have fun!

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 10:28 AM

newcastleb:
    You think that is lame, try getting hounded out of a club you enjoyed being it because of chipping on the green

Blasphemy is in the eye of the beholder.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 11:32 AM

She talks about the spirit of the game, ok , your opponent gambled and it paid off. Back to the spirit of the game , what about those greens, where the grid lines are totally untrue?  Most of us know where they are, I use the wedge, because of the spirit of the game , moves my putt completely in a direction that the grid never thought of showing me.  Untrue grids, is that in the spirit of the game?  How about 365 yard drives from a man that's 66 yrs old,  in the spirit of the game? Even the idea, that at my age, shooting better than my age, really, all in the spirit of the game too?  52 yrs ago, my high school golf coach, taught us to use the flop shot, because it takes all the influences, of the green out of play, you'll get it close if not in, that concept has been taught for more yrs than you have been alive, let alone playing golf! People like Phil, have been coming up with shots to win, they always will, so compliment ur opponent for a job well done, and remember that's it's just a game, realistic or not. 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 12:13 PM

Let's face it, if Nicklaus or Tiger or Phil or any one on top would never use a putter again, and made great scores using only a wedge on the green, we would follow suit and mock anyone who did otherwise. 

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 12:59 PM
    ..........In reply to Mbarrettwcc's post on page 3. You have not been here long .....enough to remember some of the discussions (cleaned that up) concerning the .....use of something other than a putter to hit a ball on the green....Many show-offs .. ..used.drivers, 3 woods, etc. to putt with, many were very sucessful..................... ..........# 1. In your own words you have ended your argument.................................. ..........#2. Long before those people mentioned were part of the golfing world, or .....even.born. There were such world renowned golfers as Jones! He was one .....of the very first of the golfers who made self-help, and demonstration films so .....that a player could better use any of their equipment to lower their scores. .....Including, chipping, pitching on the green (Not Putting Green). Have seen them .....many times on older programs related to golf and also the Turner Classic Movie .....Channel.................................................................................................................. ..........#3. I would think, and rightly so, that those shots, and 99% of all shots are .....done out of necessity. You say "They were clear exceptions to the rule." What .....rule is that? yours ?................................................................................................ ..........#4. Several statements, I will take them one at a time..................................... .....Wedge on green being used in place of a different piece of equipment is highly .....debatable, as proof in this forum entry......I for one have used many swings to .....improve my wedge on green ability, I see many others who will do the same .....thing. Can we all not "comprehend the or accept the ludicrousness of the shot" .....Well I guess not.....You refer to "then may God have mercy on your brain" .....religous matters, and references to such, are barred from the forums and other .....forms of communicating here at WGT as spelled out in the Terms and .....Conditions......The "spirit of the game and the shot itself" seems to be very well .....identified by the rules of the game its self.............................................................. ..........#5.....I have to pratice my wedge on green shot to get close to the hole just .....as I pratice my putting to get closer to the hole, whether or not one is easier .....than the other must lie with each player, the choice of which type of shot and .....which tool he uses must be theirs as there are no rules stipulating what must be .....done......You say "the intergrityof the game"and just what is the "intergrity" of the .....game ? if it is not in the rule book then every player will be able to make that .....decision for themselves, as it should be. Not everyone thinks of golf in the .....same way......You say that, "When you intentionally violate the intregrity of the .....game, that is a form of cheating". You can not cheat if you do not break a rule, .....it is just that simple................................................................................................. ...........You made several comments in your two postings that stipulate who and .....what you are, and who and what everyone else are, who are in disagreement .....with you.................................................................................................................. .......... Those things of that nature uttered by yourself and others are not germain .....to the point of whether or not a wedge (or other tools) can be used on the .....putting.(your word) green....................................................................................... ...........From all the arguements for and against, it is simply not covered by the .....accecpted book of rules for the game of golf.. What is also quite clear is that .....there are no grounds for the orginal post, end of discussion.....my nickle
  • ladyfromdallas
    1,221 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 1:40 PM
    I agree with you Tigerpaw509. Whoever is against not using wedges on greens more than likely uses the wedges. You should know when you speak the truth you will get bashed for it.
  • Mbarrettwcc
    81 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 1:51 PM

balmerino:

watch Phil M. on youtube....than you can start calling everyone cheats.. or have you ever played the real game

Maybe you should read the whole. Thread before pointing to the one lame example that has been retreaded 10x already, and responded to? 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 3:02 PM

The wedge on green strategy is not necessarily abused, it may be perceived to be but it often depends on the circumstances.  Also, it is also more likely used more often in mobile games because the last I knew you could still apply spin.  Mobile games are also more likely to give you long putts in a playoff hole.    But I would refer to this more as a strategy than cheating especially in a situation where you may be giving your opponent valuable information to increase their chances of making a better shot. 

The goal is usually to avoid giving your opponent information on the same line and to leave yourself with an relatively short par save.  The fact someone made an unlikely shot … is not cheating... but part of the game... it happens... people make HIO, and hole outs, it doesn't mean they are going to do it every time.  I mean I have seen lower tier players drop 30 and 40 foot putts with their putter, something that will statistically happen less than 1% of the time, but it happens … sucks to lose like that but there is always another game waiting...

If I recall correctly, this strategy was laid out in the TPC mobile thread and tips and suggestions for mobile players.  It is information you could easily have accessed to  yourself if you chose.  However it appears you have changed clubs since then.  

RSS