Help › Forums

Eliminate wedges on greens

Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:27 AM (141 replies)
  • Mbarrettwcc
    81 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 5:36 AM

Robert1893:

Mbarrettwcc:

I really can't believe all the fervor over this post! I read these replies in large part and just laugh, as

the point

goes

wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

over most

heads.

Ummm, that would be a "no."

Simply because people disagreed with you does not mean the point was lost upon them or went over their heads. 

Ummm, when the primary responses were "it's legal!" and "Phil did it once", then yes, the point went over their heads.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 7:50 AM

Mbarrettwcc:
    Ummm, when the primary responses were "it's legal!" and "Phil did it once", then yes, the point went over their heads.

I stand by what I wrote. The point did not go over "most heads." 

• headhacker
    98 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 8:06 AM

I was standing on the green trying to putt, someone used a wedge, and it went WAY OVER my head.

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 12:09 PM

Foursome playing a par 5 and all four golfers just manage to make the green and looking at 100' putt.First three golfers will putt the ball and then there is the 4th golfer.He grabs his wedge and lines up his Shot looking at a triple break and double elevation change but he chips away and gets it within 2 " because he just avoided all the stuff on the green.

It aint Cheating but he just cheated his 3 buddies and that is not whats Golf is about.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 12:17 PM

Tigerpaw509:

Foursome playing a par 5 and all four golfers just manage to make the green and looking at 100' putt.First three golfers will putt the ball and then there is the 4th golfer.He grabs his wedge and lines up his Shot looking at a triple break and double elevation change but he chips away and gets it within 2 " because he just avoided all the stuff on the green.

It aint Cheating but he just cheated his 3 buddies and that is not whats Golf is about.

It's always amazing to me that, in these scenarios, the guys putting are so bad at putting but the person using the wedge is so good with the wedge. Funny how it always works out that way. 

Alex, I'll take "Things that make you go hmmmmm" for $500. 

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 12:42 PM

Tigerpaw509:
    It aint Cheating but he just cheated his 3 buddies
    This is the predacious no-cheat cheat, isn't it? Or else...

I'd say he excelled his mates in mastering the green - they might as well have learned to use the wedge to their advantage!

All of you who cry "cheat!" seem to be running over the golf course with blinkers (blinders), condemned to think "I must putt on the putting green!" and leaving out an opportunity for amelioration here as well as in other situations.

I'd rather imagine all the options available, using all the clubs and all the shot to my advantage, limited by the rules and common sense (which starts with harming no items more than appropriate (e.g., we all produce divots) and no one.

What is Golf about? The Spirit of the Game is explained in the beginning of the rules' Etiquette section, and it's not about no-cheat cheats!

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 12:48 PM

Some claim it aint cheating the other Golfers and if I forfeit against these players I am cheating them but Wgt does give you a button to concede or sometimes even a pop up thats ask if you want to concede so like you say its in the game.

If your chipping I'm Quitting

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 12:53 PM

I'm a little confused, some people keep using the term " spirit of the game" , " not what golf is about"  etc.  Just out of curiosity can anyone explain how these terms fit into this conversation?   Golf is defined, as a game , played on a large open air course, in which a small hard ball is struck with a club, into a series of small holes in the ground.  The object being to use the fewest possible strokes, to complete the course. 

4 people on a green, 100 feet away, 3 putt, 1 wedges his shot, he didn't cheat the other 3, he was wiser of the 4, he knew what the odds were, and beat them. The other 3 cheated themselves, beat by the odds. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 1:50 PM

Just another thought, how is disrespecting another player by quitting, in any way,  in the spirit, of anything, other than poor sportsmanship? 

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 2:10 PM

Tigerpaw509:

Some claim it aint cheating the other Golfers and if I forfeit against these players I am cheating them but Wgt does give you a button to concede or sometimes even a pop up thats ask if you want to concede so like you say its in the game.

If your chipping I'm Quitting

Thank you for self identifying as a quitter... if you pop up as a random, I will just boot ahead of time so you don't ruin the game for the other three players.:))

RSS