Forums

Help › Forums

Eliminate wedges on greens

Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:27 AM (141 replies)
  • Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 9:50 AM

I watched the Pga tour this weekend not once did someone chip while on the the green.Weird Huh.

Can you imagine if one of these Pro's chipped on every green,they would be  Laughed/Boo'd at.

Next time your at your favorite golf course and your in a foursome go ahead and chip only on the greens,I bet some says WTF you doing.Seems some here think Hey it ok it's in the rules.

Excellent response TyMacni

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 9:54 AM

Mbarrettwcc:

ct690911:

"Yeah, this went just about as I expected it to go, which is why I typically avoid the public forums..."

If you refer to opposing views as "idiotic", then it's best you continue to avoid the forums.

It's also probably best you stop quitting games everytime someone doesn't play by your rules...very childish.

A - I won the game where the guy chipped in

B - I never quit a game because someone wedged it

C - Anybody can cite outliers of wedge usage... it doesn't change the original point that they are often used against the spirit of the game here. If you can't accept it, than that is your issue.

You again have mentioned that anyone who differs from your opinion is wrong.  Why do you think the rule book was written?  It was written to force those playing outside of the rules to be penalized for unfair play.  There is no penality otherwise.  An opinion is worth less than the effort used to utter it.  You had no basis for any comment what so ever, except to voice a conterdictory opinion which by all other entries on this subject is in the minority.  You are aloud to make posting on the forums as anyone else may.  It is in a public WGT domain and there are rules that will penalize those who post outside of those rules, the same as in golf.  I think it is unfortunate that you are of such a mindset that your opinion should take presidence over all others, and that they are something less than who you think you are, did someone die and make you Quenn?  I certainly hope not!  my nickle

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 10:55 AM

To Mbarrettwcc

"B - I never quit a game because someone wedged it"

Sincere apologies...I attributed a statement by Tigerpaw to you.

ct

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:28 PM

I'm wondering what the op would have done if she had played golf, back in the 50s and 60s?  Many golf club manufacturers made a 10 iron, which was very commonly used as a putter, but by today's standards would be considered a wedge. ( Look up Lady MacGregor Par Master clubs.)  It appears that her mind is closed, to what anyone else may think, therefore it won't be changed.  She is entitled to her "opinion" , and that's fine, but what she doesn't understand, is that it doesn't seem to matter, to wgt, or many people on here.  Pga  and lpga, rules do not apply here, ( its a video game)  even though the use of a wedge on the green isn't against their rules!  My suggestion is to learn to accept it, or your career here is going to be miserable.   You have every right to express your ideals, but you have no right to attack all the really good people that offered up suggestions for you, to learn to accept the things you cannot change. People will always be coming up with new, and innovative ways to use their clubs, my favorite is Tigers wife with the five iron, but until it's ruled illegal , it will be utilized.   That's what makes golf interesting. 

• HOLGAR1
    11 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:40 PM

To Mbarrettwcc- I 100% agree with your observation, the WGT game is too easy and definitely not realistic in the respects to which you refer.  But you have to realize that they do have to make money and incentivize the purchase of expensive superspin clubs and balls which make such cartoonish shots possible.

This can largely be avoided if you play uneven lies (this is all I play anymore).  With the uneven lies it is much more difficult and in some cases impossible to make the shots you speak of, which in many cases have the appearance of throwing a bean bag at the pin.  Plus hardly anyone plays uneven lies (presumably it is too intellectually rigorous and difficult) so your chances of success in the WGT sponsored tournaments is dramatically increased.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 3:09 PM

Mbarrettwcc:

In many ways, WGT is already too easy. Bunker play and 40/50 rough outside 100 yards notwithstanding, there is no shot a good player can't hit close every time. Chipping and pitching is so easy it is a joke. The one truly hard shot out here, even in mobile with the putting meter, is the long putt.

Somewhere along the line someone figured out the wedge formula for full shots on greens, and now I can't go a day without seeing someone use it from distance. This is not standard play, it is cheating. Make no mistake -- it is CHEATING! No need to worry about elevation or break, you just wedge it tight every time.

Having to pitch if you can't see the stick or you are obstructed is one thing, but circumventing the spirit of the shot and integrity of the game is another. WGT needs to allow only putters on greens, no exceptions.

What is truly ridiculous is you can't putt from the fairway 12 feet from the hole, as the ball will go a few inches, but you can take a full swing from 100 feet away on the green and knock it inside 2 feet every time. How does that make any sense? How is either shot remotely realistic to the game of golf?

Just a quandary here,  "you can't putt from the fairway 12 feet from the hole"   but using a putter from the fairway, isn't that contradictory, when complaining about a wedge on the green? You must have tried it, as you know the outcome of it. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 3:14 PM

Luckystar5:
    I'm wondering what the op would have done if she had played golf, back in the 50s and 60s?  Many golf club manufacturers made a 10 iron, which was very commonly used as a putter, but by today's standards would be considered a wedge

LOL - I have a real 10 iron, but I don't carry it in the bag because - wooden shaft.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 3:43 PM

HOLGAR1:

To Mbarrettwcc- I 100% agree with your observation, the WGT game is too easy and definitely not realistic in the respects to which you refer.  But you have to realize that they do have to make money and incentivize the purchase of expensive superspin clubs and balls which make such cartoonish shots possible.

This can largely be avoided if you play uneven lies (this is all I play anymore).  With the uneven lies it is much more difficult and in some cases impossible to make the shots you speak of, which in many cases have the appearance of throwing a bean bag at the pin.  Plus hardly anyone plays uneven lies (presumably it is too intellectually rigorous and difficult) so your chances of success in the WGT sponsored tournaments is dramatically increased.

It has absolutely nothing to do with being " too intellectually rigorous  and difficult " unless ur speaking of the programmers.   Uneven lies are not an available  option for the mobile platform!  

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 3:58 PM

HOLGAR1:

I was about to say take a look at the leaderboards and same win UELs (where credits count) that do the usual even FW game.......

Certainly, don't need much of a run up - well played................Guess excited and came to the forums:)

Putting wise you can get close enough to win any putting tourney by putting and same any game.  Learn to putt - it's more reliable also, IMExperience.

• thesupernova
    7,331 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 4:03 PM

I've been in a game where the player opted to use a wedge instead of putting and just rolled my eyes.

I don't agree with your assessment that it is easier than putting.

You still have to use the correct speed.

I do see using a wedge as being lazy.

Instead of efforting to  read the  contours of the putt

the player uses the wedge.

It's comical to me.

Saying  that, WGT allows it .

The action could be interpreted as being resourceful.

To cry cheat 

Scream foul

Well ,

Sour grapes.

a cheap shot.

Get over it 

:)

RSS