Forums

Help › Forums

Eliminate wedges on greens

Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:27 AM (141 replies)
  • pmm711
    5,509 Posts
    Wed, Sep 5 2018 6:45 PM

thesupernova:

Guess we won't see his picture next to the definition of humor in the dictionary.

Nope...Only room for just one...

• alpenpirat
    1,122 Posts
    Thu, Sep 6 2018 12:37 AM

Mbarrettwcc:

In many ways, WGT is already too easy. Bunker play and 40/50 rough outside 100 yards notwithstanding, there is no shot a good player can't hit close every time. Chipping and pitching is so easy it is a joke. The one truly hard shot out here, even in mobile with the putting meter, is the long putt.

Somewhere along the line someone figured out the wedge formula for full shots on greens, and now I can't go a day without seeing someone use it from distance. This is not standard play, it is cheating. Make no mistake -- it is CHEATING! No need to worry about elevation or break, you just wedge it tight every time.

Having to pitch if you can't see the stick or you are obstructed is one thing, but circumventing the spirit of the shot and integrity of the game is another. WGT needs to allow only putters on greens, no exceptions.

What is truly ridiculous is you can't putt from the fairway 12 feet from the hole, as the ball will go a few inches, but you can take a full swing from 100 feet away on the green and knock it inside 2 feet every time. How does that make any sense? How is either shot remotely realistic to the game of golf?

Yes. eliminate everything that is fun.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Sep 6 2018 12:43 AM

ScottyAKing:
    Haha, well it does mention in his profile that German humour is no laughing matter....
    So at least you got the humour in that ;)

• headhacker
    98 Posts
    Thu, Sep 6 2018 5:46 AM

So here are a few items from the world of the PGA Tour .. just to see how folks in the real world making real money handle the situation.

Exhibit #1 - Phil Mick on a Par 3 - Does what appears a full swing with a wedge - WITHOUT PENALTY - on the green. Twitter is one place you can see this ... no account required. This shot was not only legal, it was required and he apparently practiced it earlier and knocked it to 5 feet or less.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/833030384392691712/video/1

Exhibit #2 - Seung-Yul Noh on #11 in 2014, ball lands on #2 green. NOTE IT IS A DIFFERENT GREEN. He hits a sweet full wedge onto #11 green and thought he saved par. Wrong - two stroke penalty. Article link follows:

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/11393907/seung-yul-noh-chips-green-gets-rare-2-stroke-penalty-barclays

According to Rules of Golf, any club may be used at any time, including wedges on greens, but a hitting ANY shot from a different green is a penalty. I don't know if WGT enforces this penalty or not, and I really don't plan on finding out.

IMHO - I still think a wedge on a green also requires skill, and even though I don't do that as a general rule and I only around do it around obstacles - short lower right on OLY #3 for example - if you like go for it. I can regularly get a 100ft putt within a foot or two and will put my putting against any wedger.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Sep 6 2018 8:29 AM

headhacker:
    hitting ANY shot from a different green is a penalty. I don't know if WGT enforces this penalty or not, and I really don't plan on finding out.
    You won't see it here because such green would be OOB in WGTland ;)

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Fri, Sep 7 2018 7:28 PM

That's a shame! 

We used to play where you could just use the closest green and move on.............

:)

• headhacker
    98 Posts
    Fri, Sep 7 2018 11:26 PM

LMAO

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Sep 8 2018 6:40 AM

headhacker:
    Exhibit #2 - Seung-Yul Noh on #11 in 2014, ball lands on #2 green. NOTE IT IS A DIFFERENT GREEN. He hits a sweet full wedge onto #11 green and thought he saved par. Wrong - two stroke penalty. Article link follows:

WGT does not have split greens, meaning two different holes using the same green. If we did, it would be interesting to see how they handle it.

• pmm711
    5,509 Posts
    Sat, Sep 8 2018 11:23 AM

DonCaron:

headhacker:

WGT does not have split greens, meaning two different holes using the same green. If we did, it would be interesting to see how they handle it.

On St. Andrews there are many double greens...the game doesn't call the other OOB.  I wonder how that "wrong green" rule works on those double greens in RL?

• headhacker
    98 Posts
    Sat, Sep 8 2018 11:33 AM

Here are the double greens on St. Andrews ... more a function of the original 'out and back' than an intentional design to make huge greens. These greens are technically considered one green, as there is no delineation between one shared green and the other. That opens up the much discussed wedge play as an option if you so choose.

2 and 16
    3 and 15
    4 and 14
    5 and 13
    6 and 12
    7 and 11
    8 and 10

Hence you can have a 260 put in CTTH from #11 (as it were) into the center hole on #7. 

Shared greens are not unique to St Andrews, we have a few here in PA on Wyncote and a few other courses. 

As far as WGT is concerned, if they showed other players live, like a MMORPG, we may see others on the shared green. Thankfully we do not as it would be a huge distraction given the numbers playing at once. : )

RSS