Forums

Help › Forums

Eliminate wedges on greens

Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:27 AM (141 replies)
  • pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Mon, Sep 3 2018 6:14 AM

Last I heard this is WGT golf and NOT the f-ing PGA Tour.  And even if it was the PGA Tour I can use ANY CLUB on the green...even the putter.  

So, in terms of golf etiquette/rules, I have not violatied any rule if I choose to never use a putter on any green.  Just think of the PGA Tour professional who first decided to put a 5 foot putter in his bag and levered it off of his chest.  I’m sure he heard, “WTF are you doing” but he wasn’t breaking any rules.  Then other professionals adopted that putter.

Overuse of a “valid” shot is not a violation.  If it bothers you if your opponent plays this way then maybe you need some therapy or some anger management sessions.

For instance, I suck at the punch shot which is more accurate than the approach shot methods I use in this game.  So am I supposed to quit if my opponent uses the punch shot over and over during our round of play and knocks them within 2 feet?  No, I just have to realize they’re better than me in strategy and execution...plus, maybe I should take some time to practice the punch shot.

BOTTOM LINE: Use the tools you know, and learned how to use best, in order to finish the round in less strokes than your opponent.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Sep 3 2018 12:06 PM
    I remember Justin Thomas chipping over a spike mark or a scuff on the green. It was only about 4 feet away. He played the shot that gave him the best chance of getting it in the hole. That's what golf is about. Playing the shot that gives you the best chance.
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Sep 3 2018 1:53 PM

The thing is...that if Nicklaus and Phil never used a putter again and skillfully took clean chips off the green to excel , the question is:

Why would we not applaud them?

Places don't allow chipping because people aren't as skillful as the real pros - as the hosts even mention in the 'Phil flop off the green' TV clip.  

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Sep 3 2018 8:57 PM

JFidanza:
    Places don't allow chipping [...]
    Do they forbid it? Please show proof, as I have still to see that a local regulation would curtail on the rules of golf.

Furthermore, real greens may be damaged while WGT greens won't.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 5 2018 7:57 AM

alosso:

JFidanza:
    Places don't allow chipping [...]
    Do they forbid it? Please show proof, as I have still to see that a local regulation would curtail on the rules of golf.

Furthermore, real greens may be damaged while WGT greens won't.

That's a good point. I've only heard that some local places forbid it, but I've never seen the sign or indication of that on any course IRL.

• thesupernova
    7,331 Posts
    Wed, Sep 5 2018 9:48 AM

Wedge vs putting

Bottom line.

You still have to use speed and reading skills to knock it in.

My take on this thread is there are some that will complain about the most trivial aspects of life.

Those people  at a young age would get upset while playing with others......

wasn't getting their own way.....

Got angry  took their toys and went home pouting.

Excellent arguments supporting the use of wedges on the green

I have yet to see a valid argument from the opposition .

I don't use a wedge .EVER on the green

But that is my choice

Hell , a player can use the handle of a shovel for all I care

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, Sep 5 2018 12:19 PM

thesupernova:
    You may not care but the rules do:

AFAIK, you must hit the ball with the clubhead. At least, you must not use the other end of the club, "billard style".

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Sep 5 2018 12:43 PM

alosso:

thesupernova:

AFAIK, you must hit the ball with the clubhead. At least, you must not use the other end of the club, "billard style".

Really?    I'm sure that nova, was just using a figure of speech!  Last time I was in the pro shop, I saw no cue sticks, shovel handles, or crochet mallets for sale! But if they were there, then they would be legal to use. 

• thesupernova
    7,331 Posts
    Wed, Sep 5 2018 12:57 PM

Luckystar5:

alosso:

thesupernova:

Really?    I'm sure that nova, was just using a figure of speech!  Last time I was in the pro shop, I saw no cue sticks, shovel handles, or crochet mallets for sale! But if they were there, then they would be legal to use. 

Ha ha ha ha 

I have the same reaction 

Guess we won't see his picture next to the definition of humor in the dictionary.

He missed my intentions totally.

I pay attention to my game.

I certainly don't lose any sleep to what others do or don't do

Footnote

although I know that in the film Tin Cup,

When Roy beat Bo with a shovel ,a rake,a hoe and a baseball bat,

I knew it was fiction and not PGA rules.

Just have fun all.

Allie

• ScottyAKing
    175 Posts
    Wed, Sep 5 2018 6:14 PM

Haha, well it does mention in his profile that German humour is no laughing matter....

Allie, I understand what you mean about still having to learn the skill.  However, I spent a bit of time on the putting green with a wedge, for research sake, and it took relatively little time to get a handle on using it, as opposed to reading long putts (which I’m still rubbish at). 

Allow me to be annoyed by this for a while.  I’ve just moved on from letting forfeiters get under my skin.  Just like that, it’ll pass.... ;)

btw, Tin Cup is fiction?!? 😮

RSS