Forums

Help › Forums

Eliminate wedges on greens

Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:27 AM (141 replies)
  • Mbarrettwcc
    81 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2018 10:47 AM

In many ways, WGT is already too easy. Bunker play and 40/50 rough outside 100 yards notwithstanding, there is no shot a good player can't hit close every time. Chipping and pitching is so easy it is a joke. The one truly hard shot out here, even in mobile with the putting meter, is the long putt.

Somewhere along the line someone figured out the wedge formula for full shots on greens, and now I can't go a day without seeing someone use it from distance. This is not standard play, it is cheating. Make no mistake -- it is CHEATING! No need to worry about elevation or break, you just wedge it tight every time.

Having to pitch if you can't see the stick or you are obstructed is one thing, but circumventing the spirit of the shot and integrity of the game is another. WGT needs to allow only putters on greens, no exceptions.

What is truly ridiculous is you can't putt from the fairway 12 feet from the hole, as the ball will go a few inches, but you can take a full swing from 100 feet away on the green and knock it inside 2 feet every time. How does that make any sense? How is either shot remotely realistic to the game of golf?

• xz05fm
    2,353 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2018 5:37 PM

In the real world you're allowed to use any club from anywhere on the golf course, including wedges and woods on the green, so banning wedges on the green would not be true to the game.

I agree with you on the putting from off the green.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2018 8:10 PM

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2018 9:13 PM

Haven't you seen Phil Mickelson "cheating" yet? It's on youtube,
    and no tournament officials object!

The rules of golf do not even speak of different clubs (and not how to use them in different situations). I see only rule 25-3, Wrong Green, which prohibits any play.

Obviously, Phil and any other reasonable golfer would only pull this shot (and damage the green) when there's something at stake - in a casual round, it's decent to avoid it and to accept an extra stroke. But, with a good reason - why not?

Mind you that there ain't no damage on WGT's greens. There's not even the indication of divots as there is from pitches around the green (they stay until you finish the hole). Thus, no rule infringement plus no damage => no objection.

So why do you object? Is it that you lack the skills to perform such shot and pull the moral card to cover your shortcoming? Would you also try to bar me from putting from the bunker or from using driver on the FW? Performed both yesterday on a real course, successfully! (Nice Par putt after the bunker shot, BTW!)

• gherkinhead1
    245 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2018 11:57 PM

lol

your 30 year old photo of some girl is ridiculous.

Your stats have no credence

also,  you have become a LEGEND in 18 months.

Case closed

• abbielb
    1,800 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 3:34 AM

regarding the long putt being difficult i would have to disagree.....if you know your distances....downhill .58 flat .65 uphill .75 .....for me the wedge shot on the green you cannot apply spin....so give me the flat stick anyday.......as for rules.....its not against the rules to use any club on the green so its not cheating.....is it frowned upon yes....

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 4:43 AM

Frowned upon due to the probable damage, /methinks, nothing else.

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 5:37 AM

This topic has been discussed (many times) before. I don’t see WGT changing anything. 

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 5:45 AM

Robert1893:

This topic has been discussed (many times) before. I don’t see WGT changing anything. 

There was a time you could use ball spin with a wedge on the green. WGT eliminated that option. I don't understand why as the PGA pros can obviously use spin if required. 

ct

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 5:55 AM

ct690911:
    There was a time you could use ball spin with a wedge on the green. WGT eliminated that option. I don't understand why as the PGA pros can obviously use spin if required. 

ct

A while back, on the mobile platform, they changed that. On mobile, a player can apply backspin. 

RSS