Forums

Help › Forums

Coin Rooms Strategy

Thu, Dec 31 2020 11:31 AM (30 replies)
  • JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 10:23 AM

I’m at a point where I need advice on playing coin rooms. Specifically which ones to play. I’m a mediocre player, although I’ve reached Champion playing red tee tournaments and acquiring the top tier clubs (not with money, but watching/playing thousands of videos for free credits. You can get 200+ credits while watching a rerun of a Breaking Bad episode).

So, I play Rio (36k prize, one hole, back tees) when I want to earn coins, and Chelsea 900 prize, one hole, default tees) if I’m just trying to accumulate apparel points. I probably win about 60% of my games, and in over two years have just over 3,000,000 coins in my bank.

Here’s my question. In the weekly division games I’ll typicall build up a few tier promotions, maybe getting a small purse. Then I’ll skip a week and get bounced back to a lower tier, where the purses are smaller but easier to win. But while I’m moving up 36k (or maybe 108k in a 30 minute sponsorship), there’s almost always someone jumping 500k at a time.

Chelsea has maybe 600 players in it typically. Rio around 100-120. But moving up, the big money rooms have only 10 or 12 platers, if that much. I’m somewhat frightened to risk 250k, 500k, or more at a shot and draining the kitty. There are good days and bad days, and I can win 3 or 4 games without a loss, but just as easily lose 5 of 6 games.

What should I do? Are those 10 players going to be ones that usually win, except for the errant shot everyone makes now and then? I’m playing with Cally 33s, or maybe a 400 credit Volvik at most. Do I need to invest in balls with slower meters and get used to them to at least get closer to ‘dinging’ shots? Play games not 1 hole, to even the odds (although most of the winning games seem to come down to a decent approach shot or a tiebreaker where just staying on the green is all it takes sometimes to win).

i know my club mates are winning coin games in amounts that can’t happen 36k at a time. But they’re also usually ahead of me on leaderboards of tournaments that are single play (no time to figure out the elevations, or winds of any particular hole). I rely on luck when a hole is 80 ft. down, or a 200+yd par 3 (I did mention I got to Champion playing red tees, didn’t I?).

Any suggestions? Should I risk a pile of coins and head toward the deep end? The 9 hole 90K Shanghai doesn’t seem much better than the Rio for risk/reward. So the choices are more to risk 250k on a one hole game, or 500k on a three hole game? How much should one be willing to lose before staying back on the porch? Or move up to slower meter balls first so those way off-ding shots might be less frequent?

All opinions welcome. 

I doo have my SE hat, so 310yd drives are not uncommon...

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 10:56 AM

I don't know what to say, except, out of those 10 or 12 players in the higher rooms, only 5 or 6 win! They all cannot be winners! The old saying goes, " can't win if you don't play"   Unfortunately, by reaching champion, on red tees, is definitely going to hurt you, in rooms like Tokyo,  and up.  There are alot of tour pros playing in those rooms, and they are really good players, at really high levels, with the best equipment.  I played one tour pro that was at level 103. Being a champion, you will be playing from the tips, against tour pros, hitting from closer tees. Best advice, go back to practice courses, alot. Learn the game, to where you need to be ,at your level and tier, then go after the professional coin gamers. You will have a lot better chance, at winning, and you'll enjoy the game more, by simply executing better shots!  Good luck to you! 

• AussieMick11
    1,275 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 12:56 PM

JasCooper:

i know my club mates are winning coin games in amounts that can’t happen 36k at a time. But they’re also usually ahead of me on leaderboards of tournaments that are single play (no time to figure out the elevations, or winds of any particular hole). I rely on luck when a hole is 80 ft. down, or a 200+yd par 3 (I did mention I got to Champion playing red tees, didn’t I?).

Hi Jas. I think you misunderstand "single play" tournaments. They are regular ranked rounds just like an unlimited play tournament except you only get 1 go at it. There's no timer on each shot so your comment about having no time makes no sense. If a single play tournament runs for a week you can start the round on day 1 and take all 7 days to complete it, if you wish. 

As far as your coin room strategy goes I have no idea. But it's just golf, treat it like golf. Think about getting the ball in the hole instead of what's at stake. 

Luckystar5:

Being a champion, you will be playing from the tips, against tour pros, hitting from closer tees. 

Hi Luckystar5. Opponents tee off from the same tees in coin rooms, regardless of tier. Tap the "i" displayed at the bottom right of each room and it will tell you which tees players will play from in that room.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 4:00 PM

Thank you, I stand corrected,  I thought that it was the same as in the H2H games.  Regardless, op needs to learn to play from the tips, with  faster greens, etc, most of the bigger coin counted rooms aren't easy, for a reason!  :^)

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 4:49 PM

AussieMick11:
    Hi Luckystar5. Opponents tee off from the same tees in coin rooms, regardless of tier. Tap the "i" displayed at the bottom right of each room and it will tell you which tees players will play from in that room.

This is not true in the lower end coin rooms, but you are correct tapping the I for information will tell you whether default tees are used or whether both players are playing the Hard or Hardest tees.

I NEVER play anything below RIO but, I believe Casablanca is also off of the same tee regardless of tier (Hard, hence Master tee boxes). 

Playing below that is setting yourself up for a huge disparity off the tee boxes when playing against good lower tier players with hi end equipment and maxed apparel sponsorships.  I would not advise it at all especially with the OP bankroll.

In my old club we discussed coin room strategy at length, but I don't have time to go into it all here.  I can touch base or send a friend request and we can chat but your observations sound accurate and you seem to have a realistic sense or understanding of where your game is... which is key.  

Sorry I can't share more at the moment...as for those in the various "divisions" sandbagging and playing well below their coin room abilities... you can't do much about them... you can find players doing that all the way up into the diamond divisions where players will drop down a couple divisions and then play one round in Bellagio to secure the 1st place weekly coin bonus... 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 4:56 PM

actually the lower rooms you play from your tee box but Rio on up has specific tee boxes. 

in regards to original question. I'll be honest. 

Tokyo Manhattan and Bellagio have the best players in them. 

people that aren't good simply don't last that long.

3 holes are better if you are wanting skill to be more of a factor. 

If you can win around 70% of the time in Rio then give Tokyo a shot.  You need to have enough bank to absorb the losses tho. i don't care how good you are. anyone can lose 4-5 one hole matches in a row from time to time.

also to be honest i think your stated win % is probably off. with any coin boost apparel at all you should be accumulating more than  3 million coins in this length of time. 

For me Tokyo has the best coin return over time. Manhattan is a simple math loss to Tokyo. 3 holes with 500k up is 33% less efficient than 1 hole for 250k each.

Bellagio can be better but sometimes you wait longer. EVERYONE who plays bellagio is really good. I casually know virtually all the guys that play bellagio and without the TW bonuses probably all of us float between a 55/45% win %. 

i've told people that you should have at least 20 bets of whatever room you're playing in to be safe. 

also to do well in the upper coin rooms i would recommend a birdie % of over 50% from the back tees. if you don't. You will definitely lose money over time.

and this is just a guess on my part and i've said it before but the top 100 coin guys probably control 95% or more of the coins in circulation.

those are the guys that play Manhattan and Bellagio.

• JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 11:02 AM

AussieMick11:

Hi Jas. I think you misunderstand "single play" tournaments. They are regular ranked rounds just like an unlimited play tournament except you only get 1 go at it. There's no timer on each shot so your comment about having no time makes no sense. If a single play tournament runs for a week you can start the round on day 1 and take all 7 days to complete it, if you wish. 

Maybe you misunderstood my point. In a single play match, you have one shot to make a good score. In unlimited play it’s your best score that shows up on the leaderboard. So if you score 36 a dozen times and 20 once, you’re score is 20 when the purse is handed out.

I’m also convinced that WGT has an unpublished player forgiveness factor. One day every drive bounces into the brush or rolls off the green; game after game. Then one day it’s just the opposite, and you don’t come close to the ding on the wrong side of the wind direction, and your ball lands a gimme putt from the pin.

You never know what it will be when you tee off a single play tournament. With unlimited play, there’s always tomorrow. And you never know if that lucky or unlucky will last a week or an hour. It’s Golf, not horseshoes. If you miss a 2 foot putt and your opponent sinks a 98’ putt, you sill lose.

Youll always find the better players at the top in unlimited play tournaments. Not always in single play.

• AussieMick11
    1,275 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 11:32 AM

I definitely misunderstood your point, my apologies. When you said "no time" you really meant "no second chance". Just like real golf! 

I understand now, thank you for clearing it up Jas.

el3n1:

AussieMick11:
    Hi Luckystar5. Opponents tee off from the same tees in coin rooms, regardless of tier. Tap the "i" displayed at the bottom right of each room and it will tell you which tees players will play from in that room.

This is not true in the lower end coin rooms, but you are correct tapping the I for information will tell you whether default tees are used or whether both players are playing the Hard or Hardest tees.

Thank you for the info el3n1!

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 12:52 PM

In 80 days, more os less, have been playing the Rio Coin room, manage to make 18 million silver. You’re a champion, should have an edge against most opponents. They’re useless coins, but I like the competition, only way I can get a match.

I even forfeit a match if it’s against bottom tier opponents. Just this morning alone, I gave up 100k in forfeit, so it’s very easy to build the coin bank.

• JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 2:24 PM

SlickHunter:

You’re a champion, should have an edge against most opponents. 

Being at Champion is meaningless. Once you reach saturation, your average only goes down. And actually lower level players often have clubs that give more forgiveness. Lots of legends play more carefully or remember how the greens break. While I’ve been playing from the red tees with fast greens in low wind.

so when I’m put back on the hard tees, I’m lost trying to figure out how a 200 yard shot with a 60ft drop with a 20mph wind affects what club I use. And if I’m used to Cally 33 balls, it’s a long learning curve adapting to a ball withmore distance and spin.

i think I need to stay in the 36k Rio room for a lot longer. At least until I’m wining more games that don’t come down to tiebreakers. Which are often won by playing last and only having to hit the green to win.

RSS