Help › Forums

Coin Rooms Strategy

Thu, Dec 31 2020 11:31 AM (30 replies)
  • SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 3:51 PM

JasCooper:

SlickHunter:

You’re a champion, should have an edge against most opponents. 

Being at Champion is meaningless. Once you reach saturation, your average only goes down. And actually lower level players often have clubs that give more forgiveness. Lots of legends play more carefully or remember how the greens break. While I’ve been playing from the red tees with fast greens in low wind.

so when I’m put back on the hard tees, I’m lost trying to figure out how a 200 yard shot with a 60ft drop with a 20mph wind affects what club I use. And if I’m used to Cally 33 balls, it’s a long learning curve adapting to a ball withmore distance and spin.

i think I need to stay in the 36k Rio room for a lot longer. At least until I’m wining more games that don’t come down to tiebreakers. Which are often won by playing last and only having to hit the green to win.

Of course a Champion has an edge over most, because of the experience to become one. Especially in coin rooms, players tee off from the same distance. Although I have sufficient funds to play the higher coin room, I choose Rio. Like you said, winning percentage is higher, and it’s just as fun as any room, but that’s just me. 

You know, we make the same shots over and over, yet the outcome is almost always different, found yourself shaking your head. That’s computer games for you, glitches etc.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 4:59 PM

#JasCooper.... I think I get where you are coming from here and Sid (Mythanatos) gives some good tips...

You also point out a key difference when you are trying to adjust to playing with or without sponsor apparel and how equipment will play differently.  Different people take different approaches in order to adapt to these changes... finding what works for you is key....

For me, I only play a low end Srixon ball L13 on mobile because the sponsor apparel and equipment I play doesn't really require anything more for the coin rooms I spend most of my time in.  I have adapted to how that ball plays for me and it becomes easier for me to remember because I only play that on mobile platform.  If I change to the desktop, I will load in a slightly better ball which lately has been the L61 TM.  Doing this allows me to keep the two platforms separate.   And in some ways, not all... the L61 ball plays similarly enough without sponsor apparel as the L13 Srixon does with Sponsor Apparel I use... so I seem to like the way I have it set up at the moment.  

The same principles typically apply for yardage and wind adjustments whether you move up or back... the only difference is you are now hitting longer irons more often, which will be effected a little more by wind especially if you are using a lot of BS on the L33 Cally… also... those irons will play differently than what you are use to because of the apparel choices you make... and that is the other factor you have to take into consideration.  

It does sound like hanging out in the mid range coin rooms is a good idea for now though.  

#slick … I think you missed the point regarding being a champion... if I understood him correctly, he feels like a red tee champion and since not all "champions" are created equal... he doesn't feel his game in on par with other champions that earned their promotion from playing default tees... so in his case it is possibly a misleading "label"... he is likely still a strong player … after all he still had to shoot low scores... make the putts and hit good approaches…  the game just plays differently now...

• Mjm626
    9 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 5:33 PM

Hey Jas,

Google search WGT Wind Chart and you will find one from Longknockers Club and another from Battlefield.  This will help reduce your variance and help dial in your distances for sure.

Your goal maybe should be just to improve and wins will follow.   Play the shots not your opponents.   WGT variance will have lower tiered players making amazing shots and its just part of the game.

If you can play consistently the coins will come and you can bank enough to play in bigger rooms.  Shanghai a good one as 9 holes will erase most of the variance you see in Rio but you will have to get to -4 or -6 under to win vs most of the players there.

Good luck!

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Wed, Aug 1 2018 4:44 AM

I would imagine you have pretty much all the possible shots and calculations, to become a champion..I just don’t get it.

• Rushore100
    29 Posts
    Wed, Aug 1 2018 8:20 AM

Honestly, I think the best thing for you to do is to just hit the courses.  Forget the competition for awhile, and just go play the regular tees with the high winds and fast greens until you get used to them.  You've kind of "cheated" the system playing the shortest tees with no winds in order to get to champion, but in reality, you've cheated yourself out of becoming a good player, which is fine if rank is all you want.  But you've obviously found out that it hurts you when it comes to competition.  Once you've practiced and mastered the winds, you won't be so worried about losing a little bit of coin when you know you can get it back soon enough.  Then you'll be ready for higher coin rooms.

• JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Wed, Aug 1 2018 11:09 AM

SlickHunter:

I would imagine you have pretty much all the possible shots and calculations, to become a champion..I just don’t get it.

Not even close. I’m good at playing Kiawah front 9 from the easy tees. Rushore’s post got it right. Except for moving to higher coin rooms. There used to be a lot more poorer players in Rio with clubs that barely got them to the fairway from the hard tees. Seems like higher tier players with balls that cost credits and have distance and spin are more prevalent lately.

Or maybe it’s because I’ve worked my way back up to the Platinum league, and I need to stop playing coin games so I get bounced back to Bronze where there may be more hacks and amateurs playing out of their depth. 

In any case, I think Tokyo is a long way off. By then I’ll be dressed to the nines in a whole new wardrobe. If only you could buy clothes with coins (or wire transfers from Cyprus banks).

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Wed, Aug 1 2018 11:51 AM

I just never thought a Champion would be asking for advice, instead of giving. Well, now I know..sorry if my comments sounded so negative against the OP.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Aug 1 2018 11:54 AM

JasCooper:

SlickHunter:

Not even close. I’m good at playing Kiawah front 9 from the easy tees. Rushore’s post got it right. Except for moving to higher coin rooms. There used to be a lot more poorer players in Rio with clubs that barely got them to the fairway from the hard tees. Seems like higher tier players with balls that cost credits and have distance and spin are more prevalent lately.

Or maybe it’s because I’ve worked my way back up to the Platinum league, and I need to stop playing coin games so I get bounced back to Bronze where there may be more hacks and amateurs playing out of their depth. 

In any case, I think Tokyo is a long way off. By then I’ll be dressed to the nines in a whole new wardrobe. If only you could buy clothes with coins (or wire transfers from Cyprus banks).

So again, I'm going to ask you, "why aren't you on the black tees, in practice rounds?"  Use the search in here, get windage charts, putting speeds, mapping your clubs with top, no, and full back spin. I have alot of that info posted on my club forum, for my members to use, getting to champion tier isn't hard, (as you have seen) but being competative at that tier is a bite, even with all the info and charts.  Learn to adjust to the ever changing conditions, that the game throws at you. 

Will it really do you any good, to back off playing, so you go back down to the easier pickings?  I was always told " that you can't beat them, if you don't play against them!"  

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Aug 1 2018 12:23 PM

Being a champion, tends to challenge you more, with alot of changes. Playing this game, can be very trying, all the time.  You have to commit to learning and playing what you learn,  and then tweaking that knowledge to suit your game.  There can be alot of things that will influence your play.  I don't play extremely well in H2H games, cuz I tend to pay more attention to chatting, rather than playing golf.  In the coin games, I try to recruit,  for the cc, my concentration is then shot, chatting instead of figuring the shots, then I have to hurry my shot, with time clock running out.  You have to decide where your commitment lies, and go from there.  No matter what, only you can fix you, we can give you all the formulas, charts, and info, but if you don't use it, practice, and tweak it to fit your play, and equipment, you will never get better. Every instructor, in real golf, will tell you that the most important thing that you can do, is PRACTICE, PRACTICE,  AND PRACTICE,  then go back and do it again!   Good luck, you can succeed! 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Aug 1 2018 1:43 PM

Some of what's being said here is a pet peeve of mine. 

over the last few years i've gotten several friends involved in WGT and often they come over to the house and we sit on my back porch drink whiskey and smoke cigars while we play WGT.

Sometimes we play each other sometimes we are off in different coin rooms.

What I find is irritating is when level 90+ Legends, TLs and Champions are playing in The lower rooms. 

Rio is the biggest problem here. 

You're most often competing against  Masters and TMs and a few Tour Pros. And most of them are below 80.

The problem here is that the Rio room is played from the Masters/TM tees and the higher level guys have much better gear that's designed for Back tees.

It's a huge competitive advantage when you can reach just about every par 5 in two. Drive more greens. Every approach is 15-50 yards closer.

I just think it's lame to drop down rooms lower than your gear.  yes the game allows it.

I still think it's lame.

A week or so ago one of my buddies was telling me that it's really gotten bad. that now about 50% of his matches are against 90+ players in the Rio room. 

Around level 85 i had accumulated around 20 million coins and started playing Manhattan for 500k each.  (Tokyo didn't exist back then).   

People talk about tiers but i rarely pay attention to it. More champions are red tee champions than aren't. 

The level and clubs being used  is the difference here.

Im sure it will fall on deaf ears. But these people should be playing in the top 3 rooms. If they actually wanted competition instead of trying to make easy coin.

just my 2 cents. (from a lowly Legend)

RSS