Help › Forums

Question for the members

Sun, Jul 26 2020 9:49 AM (140 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 6:17 PM

lonniescott711:

kavvz:
    If you do, then you don't play by feel and by extension you are playing the exact same way as a player who types that information into a spreadsheet to get an answer.  Doesn't matter if the math is mental or not, the method is the same.

There is a big difference in thinking for yourself and using an instrument to think for you . There is a very big difference between using your brain and using a spread sheet .When we say playing by feel , we mean that we dont use any gadgets or anything other than our brains to play the game . No rulers spread sheets calculators or anything outside of our human abilities is used to play the game .

Everything we do or figure out is all done mentally . From club and shot selection to distance judging and ball striking .Nothing to help us other than by memory and by what we are thinking . That is what it means to be playing by feel .

Not really, where I was going with this Lonnie. Calculators, mapping clubs, and notes are fine. Its when excel formulas factor in everything from wind factors for tail and head, to the apex of the ball for that particular club, and how far to move the aimer. Then formulas to tell you where to move the aimer on a putt, all by just entering a few numbers. People think that these excel sheets just do simple math, well some do, but others are very complex and lengthy formulas. How is this fair to the guy who does not have the know-how on how to do such a thing? I am just saying its getting way out of control. Not calling anyone who uses a spreadsheet a cheat. I think its just not making it a fair playing field.  So how can a guy or gal who uses these helpers say to them self  " Man that was a good game" when they should be saying thank you Microsoft

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 6:47 PM
    Well... i use my own spreedshet... i use a protractor and a ruler... why? Simple.. this game is based on a math alghoritm.. if we count players that use simple or complex math or people that play by feel how many players (by feel) are on top? 1 or 2.. and i m sure that as someone said before this concept of feel doesn t exist because a player like UJJ has tons of game on his shoulders and this feel is just experience.. a lot of experience.. because if u are talking about this it means that no one of you understood that the difference between top and normal players is only in what u are able to play on the green. Are u able to putt ? Yes.. u can become a top player.. you are not able to putt? U won t be a top player. That s it.. people like fmagn y46 ujj or others are top player because they know how to put the ball in the hole . No matter if they land at 3-4 -5 yrd.. they get birdies. The spreedsheet doesn t make any difference. U won t be able using a spreedsheet to land always close the hole and it means that on 9 hole u will land sometime at 3 other at 4 other at 1yrd.. this is the same for me for fmagn for y46 and for everyone. Feel or spreedsheet the result of a game depends by the green.
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 7:00 PM

All I can say is start playing without the spreadsheets, for the Tee, and approach shots, lose the protractor, and the rulers,  and the spreadsheet for telling the break on the green. If I am wrong, then I am sorry, but I don't think I will be.

Calculators, notes, mapping of clubs, wgt shot pal and wgt putter pal are all ok to use.

One more thing make the shot in a reasonable amount of time. Like 60- 90 seconds

• WaLk0fLiFe
    285 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 7:08 PM

"how the game was intended to be played"

What makes you so sure the game was intended to be played the way you think it should?

a) A spreadsheet simply does quick math. People have and always will share their own formulas and calculations and they can be done without a spreadsheet. There is nothing wrong with calculating shots.

b) A ruler/measuring device. Again this is a matter of convenience as you can't stop or police a person physically measuring their screen. I could use a hand held ruler and measure my wind aim, not a soul would ever know I was doing it nor would anyone be able to police it. Using a desktop ruler is just more convenient.

c) Some people like to play by "feel" others like to calculate every detail and both ways can be very successful. Some would argue this  is a computer game and not REAL golf so the feel aspect of it doesn't even exist and even "feel" players use some degree of calculating/repetition of seeing the same situations thousand of times.

d) This is a computer game and games are meant to be solved. I could argue wearing a glove in real golf is cheating or having a caddie calculate yardages goes against the way I THINK it should be played.

P.S Do you ever post anything non controversial LOL

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 7:22 PM
    It seems u have a crisis of identity.. are u the same player that scored 52 53 or other super low scores some months ago? Did u remember it or not??? U were able to score so low thx your spreedsheet?
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 7:25 PM

WaLk0fLiFe:

"how the game was intended to be played"

What makes you so sure the game was intended to be played the way you think it should?

a) A spreadsheet simply does quick math. People have and always will share their own formulas and calculations and they can be done without a spreadsheet. There is nothing wrong with calculating shots.

b) A ruler/measuring device. Again this is a matter of convenience as you can't stop or police a person physically measuring their screen. I could use a hand held ruler and measure my wind aim, not a soul would ever know I was doing it nor would anyone be able to police it. Using a desktop ruler is just more convenient.

c) Some people like to play by "feel" others like to calculate every detail and both ways can be very successful. Some would argue this  is a computer game and not REAL golf so the feel aspect of it doesn't even exist and even "feel" players use some degree of calculating/repetition of seeing the same situations thousand of times.

d) This is a computer game and games are meant to be solved. I could argue wearing a glove in real golf is cheating or having a caddie calculate yardages goes against the way I THINK it should be played.

P.S Do you ever post anything non controversial LOL

If you don't think some of these formulas for calculations are not complex and lengthy, then I don't know what you been looking at. 

WaLk0fLiFe:

Now you're just being silly

WaLk0fLiFe:
    A ruler/measuring device. Again this is a matter of convenience as you can't stop or police a person physically measuring their screen. I could use a hand held ruler and measure my wind aim, not a soul would ever know I was doing it nor would anyone be able to police it. Using a desktop ruler is just more convenient.

How is it you will always find a way that someone will do something underhanded. I just don't understand that.

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 7:30 PM
    Gary i can bet what u want that even if i give my tool to other players they won t be able to make low scores.. i gave my tool to a lot of players in my club but they still don t have my results because every hole or course play different so u have to know where add or leave..when a hole needs more aim.. when a putt have lie dots.. as walkoflife said the spreedsheet is just a fast way to calculate the shot. I can make the same math behind the tool with a normal calculator.. but it require time. The tool give u a fast idea but i don t play always what the tool suggest because as i said there is a lot of memory behinds the shoots.
  • WaLk0fLiFe
    285 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 7:36 PM

I didn't say measuring the screen is underhanded I think it is perfectly reasonable, and I don't always find a way people will do underhanded things.I have never spoke to you enough for you to even think that. I was just stating an obvious point.

I can do my calc without a spreadsheet and I will bet you whatever you want it will be within 1 yard of everyone else's calculation no matter how complex it looks (even Tasor's) A formula on a spreadsheet can look long and complex but it might be doing something simple. For example if you don't know a lot about spreadsheets (you didn't know much a few months ago) a function like  vlookup might look crazy to you but it's not doing anything very complex.

The glove point is not silly. You have it in your head using a spreadsheet is wrong and just because you think it's wrong doesn't make it wrong. You think me thinking using a glove is cheating is silly, I think you thinking that using a spreadsheet is wrong is equally as silly..that was the point.

Play the game..have fun...If people spent less time worrying about what everyone else is doing they would probably get a lot better at the game.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 7:46 PM

WaLk0fLiFe:
    I have never spoke to you enough for you to even think that.

OK we won't bring up the secret recording

WaLk0fLiFe:
    I can do my calc without a spreadsheet and I will bet you whatever you want it will be within 1 yard of everyone else's calculation no matter how complex it looks (even Taser's)

I never said you could not do that, you are probably as good as Tasor< tell me that wasn't a smart butt remark.

WaLk0fLiFe:
    .If people spent less time worrying about what everyone else is doing they would probably get a lot better at the game.

Does this go for all people that creep on other players profile, then report them thinking they are a multi. Or am I not understanding when you say spend less time worrying about what other people are doing?

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 7:58 PM
    Ok goodnight guys..
RSS