Forums

Help › Forums

Question for the members

Sun, Jul 26 2020 9:49 AM (140 replies)
  • alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, Jul 15 2018 2:55 PM

I understand you - me, too, don't want to make playing online golf a math problem solving exercise.

But my point is, we all to the math, if only by comparing to shots from our experience's roster, just omitting the formulas and the spreadsheets and such.

Have fun!

• abbielb
    1,800 Posts
    Sun, Jul 15 2018 4:07 PM

well its been a long thread........so we have feel players......and we have players that use rulers.........nobody should use autodings......and the wgt world rolls on.......happy hitting everyone.....

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, Jul 15 2018 4:32 PM

ujjbnjk:

kavvz:

ujjbnjk:

Hi Ujj...was wondering if you could perhaps chime in a little bit about what kind of method(s) you might use when lining up a shot?  

There's been a lot of chatter about feel vs. calculations and I was wondering if you do ANY sort of calculating at all when deciding what to hit, how hard and where to hit it?

I've watched some of you rounds and there's certainly no visual aids although I suppose they could on another monitor, but do you do any mental calculations / math in your head?

thx,

brad

Sure thing not much to tell tho... Playing by *feel* it's not a good way of explaining it... I would call it memoery n experience... Can't say i never use math but it happens very very rarely... Would say 97-98 % of my shots just go on auto-pilot... Had every shot n putt so many times so not much to think about... Played the game for over 8 years so I guess that helps:)... Im pretty sure most top players could play like I do but they prefer using this tools to get the exact right number on every shot...im just way to lazy for anything like that... Like to play fast... N if I gonna start calculating every shot... It will take forever and get boring real quick :) use whatever works for you as long as wgt is cool with it:) Cheers//Peter

Ty Peter for that.  I hope after 8 years of playing this I'd be able to ditch the excel sheet more.  Sure there are shots I just know but this early in my WGT career I still refer to that spreadsheet more often than not.  

Cheers!

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 4:57 AM
    The real secret of peter is 2-3girlfriends for week.. so he play wgt to relax.. that s why he get low scores.. for everyone with only 1 girlfriend or wife ...28 29 max.. for single no way... eh pete? Tell them..
  • bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 5:22 AM

Pity the game wasnt around when i was in my 20s then as i may have given Mags and Co a seeing to.....steady....i meant in the game. ;-)

• abbielb
    1,800 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 5:35 AM

pmsl

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 5:49 AM
    bubbsboy:

Pity the game wasnt around when i was in my 20s then as i may have given Mags and Co a seeing to.....steady....i meant in the game. ;-)

😂😂😂
  • Rushore100
    29 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 7:04 AM

I have zero problem with someone who uses spreadsheets or rulers or visual aides in order to help calculate their shots.  Pro golfers and caddies do basically the same thing in their yardage books and preparation.  I, for one, don't go nearly that far.  I made a single sheet club mapping a couple of months ago, which helped a great deal, and I ended up memorizing it, so I no longer need it.  I also play exclusively mobile, and I don't really have a way or place to keep that stuff handy. 

The way I see it, people who live and die by that level of specificity tend to just get more frustrated when their shots aren't dead perfect, so I feel like I get more joy out of the game by simply doing the math in my head and executing to the best of my ability.

Where I have a problem is with the ability to buy a better shot.  I'm not talking about buying clubs or balls that go longer, fly a little straighter, or spin a little faster.  Those are all part of real life golf.  I have a problem with the ability to buy a slower swing meter through equipment, balls, or any other means.  To me, that's like being able to buy an instantly better swing on the real golf course.  While a real golfer can buy lessons, they still have to put in the work and practice in order to get better.  They don't just pay money and step out on the course with a better swing.  I believe that the swing mechanics should remain the same for all players, regardless of skill level.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 9:02 AM
    I don't understand anyone saying they don't use maths to work out shots. For example, if the green is a certain amount of feet up it's divided by 3 and added to your distance. Distances get added or subtracted according to the amount of wind. Everyone uses basic maths in this game don't they?
  • micheldess
    819 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 3:35 PM

I'm a feel player, i never use a ruler and i play all the shot in 10-20 seconds.

So i try the technic of having 3 girlfriends a week, the problem is i still can't score like peter (he's a top 10 on wgt). The swedish girlfriends probably help more mentaly  an do "some  extra things" with the body, just maybe.

RSS