Help › Forums

inconsistency

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 29 2016 9:55 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • HardTicket
    2 Posts
    Fri, Oct 9 2009 3:00 PM

I don't think i've ever played a golf game as inconsistent as this 1....I know I know....I'm just an amateur and I need lots of practice blah blah blah but lets be realistic about that....how do some get as good as they are? gotta be secrets or dare I say, naw I guess I better not......when you hit a club a certain distance with all variables being perfect and have a good reult (ie, 5 ft from the hole) and then you hit the exact same shot with the exact club and variables and the ball ends in the rough or a trap 50+ feet away. I mean COME ON !!!!!!!!!  that's so freakin frustrating and you just don't get good with game play like that....it just don't work that way. oh and the terrain for the shot was flat in case any1 thinks of that LOL...hmmm....back to the drawing board I guess.

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Fri, Oct 9 2009 3:18 PM

What you are whining about is called "the beast" ... for more information (have you got a year?) check out the search box on the top right portion of your screen.

People get extremely good at this by playing a lot and understanding the minute details of the game. Tibbets, for instance, has been a member since January 2008. That's 22 months to perfect his game on the exact same course (courses since a few months ago).

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Oct 9 2009 3:37 PM

HardTicket:
    how do some get as good as they are? gotta be secrets or dare I say, naw I guess I better not......
    Another cheating accusation... how very common.

Look, when you've been here over a year and have played and RECORDED over 500 rounds, then you can come out with the weak-ass 'they're cheating' talk.

Until then, practice, learn the game and get better at it.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Fri, Oct 9 2009 5:16 PM

Hey HardTicket- There are several answers and I`ll try to give you a general idea without sounding jaded or condecending. First of all, I see that you`ve  played 7 strokeplay rounds and ten times that in Closest To The Hole(ctth) rounds. IMO the ctth`s have their own parameters of deviation(the Beast) compared to strokeplay. Ctth`s in general are like pinball games. You can nudge it here and there(with some skill) but in the end, the ball is going where It wants to. Some are set-up so your skill will show, others(Bali Hai) are So ridiculous that it`s embarrassing to even admit. Therefore-do not judge by these. That being said, you Will find deviation in strokeplay. This is to make it as realistic as real-life-golf. No-one hits a perfect shot, every shot, and lands it in the same place every time, period. In time and Alot of practice you`ll learn the game, courses, and your clubs. Learning these will improve your play(unless you`re completely inept) exponentially. There are a few things you can do to improve your game right away. Practice and PAY attention( if I haven`t put you to sleep yet) to how your shots react in different conditions(wind,course,specific hole,etc.). Read tips in these forums (use the search box-top right of page) to short-cut Alot of hard learning done by other players. You can up-grade your clubs and balls also, BUT don`t expect that improvement to be immediate. You`ll have to re-learn your new equipment as well. Most importantly, enjoy the ride! Good Luck! 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 11:19 AM

Nice piece, mef. If I may take it a step further, think about how pro golfers on the tour play. The real good ones scramble their collective butts off to keep their game under control. You have to do that here. Ding the drive off the tee and have it go somewhere you didn't expect-isn't that what really happens to us in real life sometimes. "Dang it-I did everything right and still got hosed." It happens in life and it happens here. The challenge is to handle it when it happens.

How many of us react when we lip the putt out or legitimately pull the shot and wind up in the rough, or worse? I know I do, both here and on the real course. It happens to be a natural reaction. What happens after that determines what you're made of. The good ones deal with it and the others look for excuses. Which one are you?

Entirely my own personal opinion...........I enjoy the fantasy.

YJ

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 12:53 PM

Good points as well YJ (we`re up 2-0!!). Another point that I`ve been meaning to make is, remember to thank the "beast" when you hit a truly ugly shot and PRESTO- the beast kicks in and saves your a$$. I do it all the time(too often), but all I read are complaints about it. If your honest with yourself, you`ll notice when this happens and appreciate it a little atleast. Cheers....and GO YANKS!

• TarheelsRule
    5,455 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 1:22 PM

It seems to me that the BEAST comes out to play more in CTTH than in stroke play.  Rarely go 9 holes without seeing him or her.  One area that I think WGT has some issues is putting and I realize that making putting as difficult as possible is the way to defend par.  If you believe David Peltz and his short game schools, a PGA tour pro makes under 50% of his putts from 8 feet, in this game I would suggest that there are players who make 90% of those (not me for sure).  I notice in this game I tend to have 2 or 3 lips out per 18 holes, one in real golf at the most.  Short putts, inside of 3 feet, in real golf I rap hard and straight without looking at them, in WGT I have to line them up and hit them perfect.  I understand the concept but it makes it not like real golf.

• hdfb16
    2 Posts
    Fri, Dec 23 2016 3:39 PM

I totally agree, especially out of the rough and putting...it's pretty much guess work!

• pmm711
    5,494 Posts
    Fri, Dec 23 2016 8:42 PM

This post is so old...crazy it resurfaced...

FYI...the OP (HardTicket) never tried to improve...

http://www.wgt.com/members/hardticket/default.aspx

No fortitude....

• shing1
    443 Posts
    Sat, Dec 24 2016 2:53 PM

total shite lately

wgt are a bunch useless tossers

got there own staff playing comps n bracketts winning credits

total sham i say

• PAGES
RSS