Forums

Help › Forums

a tip for speeding up play

Mon, Dec 22 2008 10:46 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2008 1:53 PM

we need to have a G button available.lets say u leave your putt an inch from the hole, your opponent preeses the button to give u the putt.A Gimee button.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2008 2:34 PM

This was suggested before but, it was met with staunch opposition from the players themselves.  The time it takes to tap in a 1 foot putt isn't nearly as long as the time it takes to auto-replay.  That would be the quickest immediate fix for the speed issue.

• Bugmaster
    25 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2008 4:18 PM

Did you even comprehend salamii statement?

What does auto-replay have to do with this comment.. What does opposition have to do with this comment.. The choice is up to the OTHER PLAYER, not the person putting the ball.. If the other player says, ok lets go to next hole, he hits the gimme button and play proceeds faster to the next hole.. If the player dont want to give the shot, then simply doesnt hit the button...

This is very typical real life approach in sudden death and match play games.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2008 5:09 PM

Had you been bothered to read the thread I linked the first time (this one) then you would understand.  Quite a few players in that thread mentioned how they'd like to NOT see gimmes.  A lot of players feel these should be putted out in stroke play, no matter what.  Whether it's your opponent that offers it or not is irrelevant to that point since at this moment we do not have a match play format.  

I then went on to present an opinion of what I thought would speed up play the most; getting rid of auto-replay.  All pretty simple and straight-forward I thought.  There really is no need to accuse me of not understanding the question and/or being stupid.

Please make sure that you comprehend what you've read instead of wrongly accusing me of the same thing.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2008 7:27 PM

Hi Bugmaster & nivlac, you both have strong opinions and that is fine here in the forums, but please refrain from personal attacks, including following each other's posts for the purpose of attacking each other. We will delete posts of this nature, and if these posts do not stop, we may have to temporarily block you from the forums. We hope you understand, and thanks for your cooperation.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2008 7:41 PM

Fully understood.  Though I wish to point out that I did not make any attacks nor did I follow.  All of my posts were in direct response and defense.  I am simply trying to help uphold the community guidelines that you have set in place for us, as I always have.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for having to deal with this.

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2008 11:27 PM

Rule 2. Match Play

Definitions

All defined terms are in italics and are listed alphabetically in the Definitions section.

2-1. General

A match consists of one Side playing against another over a stipulated round unless otherwise decreed by the Committee.

In match play the game is played by holes.

Except as otherwise provided in the Rules, a hole is won by the Side that holes its ball in the fewer strokes. In a handicap match, the lower net score wins the hole. The state of the match is expressed by the terms: so many "holes up" or "all square," and so many "to play."

A Side is "dormie" when it is as many holes up as there are holes remaining to be played.

2-2. Halved Hole

A hole is halved if each side holes out in the same number of strokes.

When a player has holed out and his opponent has been left with a stroke for the half, if the player subsequently incurs a penalty, the hole is halved.

2-3. Winner of Match

A match is won when one Side leads by a number of holes greater than the number remaining to be played.

If there is a tie, the Committee may extend the stipulated round by as many holes as are required for a match to be won.

2-4. Concession of Match, Hole or Next Stroke

A player may concede a match at any time prior to the start or conclusion of that match.

A player may concede a hole at any time prior to the start or conclusion of that hole.

A player may concede his opponent's next stroke at any time, provided the opponent's ball is at rest. The opponent is considered to have holed out with his next stroke, and the ball may be removed by either Side.

A concession may not be declined or withdrawn.

(Ball overhanging hole - see Rule 16-2.)

2-5. Doubt as to Procedure; Disputes and Claims

In match play, if a doubt or dispute arises between the players, a player may make a claim. If no duly authorized representative of the Committee is available within a reasonable time, the players must continue the match without delay. The Committee may consider a claim only if the player making the claim notifies his opponent (i) that he is making a claim, (ii) of the facts of the situation and (iii) that he wants a ruling. The claim must be made before any player in the match plays from the next teeing ground or, in the case of the last hole of the match, before all players in the match leave the putting green.

A later claim may not be considered by the Committee, unless it is based on facts previously unknown to the player making the claim and he had been given wrong information (Rules 6-2a and 9) by an opponent.

Once the result of the match has been officially announced, a later claim may not be considered by the Committee, unless it is satisfied that the opponent knew he was giving wrong information.

2-6. General Penalty

The penalty for a breach of a Rule in match play is loss of hole except when otherwise prov

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2008 11:41 PM

Good to know the rules of course.  However they don't apply here yet, since we only play Stroke Play in multiplayer.  Perhaps if the game is expanded to include Match Play, there can be options to concede the putt/hole etc.  Until then. 'gimmes' have no place in a Stroke Play format.

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2008 11:47 PM

WHAT HOW DENSE ARE YOU. I AM TALKING ABOUT REGULAR ROUNDS U PLAY EVERDAY WITH NEW FRIENDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD.NO OF COURSE YOU ARE NOT GOING TOO GIVE A SHOT UP IN STROKE TOURNAMENTS. OBVIOUSLY, i NEVER SUGGETED IT BE IN TOURNAMENT PLAY, JUST REGULAR ROUNDS.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2008 11:56 PM

Regular rounds we play everyday in the current form are in Stroke Play format.  As I said, if the game expands to Match Play, and you want to do Multiplayer rounds with friends, then sure, have the concede option. 

You're talking about practice rounds with friends, not ranked rounds.  At current, multiplayer only allows for ranked rounds to be played, and as you well know(since you have played golf for so long), if your round is being ranked in Stroke Play, there's no such thing as a "gimme".  Those are the rules.  I'm not willing to accept someone recording a score of 30 with a host of 'gimme' putts given to them by their opponent.  I putt them all, so should everyone else.  Period.

• PAGES
RSS