Forums

Help › Forums

Find A Ball You Can Afford And Never Change It

Sat, Feb 27 2021 8:51 AM (25 replies)
  • Chrynch
    568 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2018 3:49 AM
    Finding a ball you like and can afford on WGT is important. There are now so many choices of balls to purchase and use, there is a ball for everyone who plays WGT. Once you are comfortable with a ball don't ever change it. Getting used to playing the same ball is one of the keys to shooting consistent better scores. Map your clubs with the balls you will be using. This way over time you learn how much backspin you need to hit and hold a green. You will also get the benefit of having the same meter speed when putting. If you constantly change balls you will never understand why shots go long or come up short. I tell this to players all the time, but some just never seem to get it. If your going to play WGT your going to purchase and use balls. It's the way it is on WGT. Stop complaining about the price for the higher end balls. Don't use them if you can't afford them. Find a ball you like and can afford and never change them. This is the key to having fun and shooting better consistent scores on WGT.    

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2018 10:45 PM

Mostly true for the average player. You have to see the ball spending as an entry fee.

I'd like to add that the choice should be checked with new clubs (irons / wedges). With better clubs, a better ball may make a difference. This is based on the fact that high level balls are wasted on low level clubs.

OTOH, for top players, the choice of balls may go more frequently with the choice of clubs and with the course played. It remember a guy (once upon a time) who compared balls while playing a record score on KIA. 49 for 18 was a sensation then!

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2018 11:15 PM

I mostly agree, particularly about affording the ball!  I did want to get a combination of ball and clubs that would allow decent backspin and I think I am there now.  

I had mapped my clubs to the earlier combination of ball and clubs with little spin so now I am remapping with the new combo.  I don't want to do that again for a long time - if ever!

After remapping, I just need to play a lot more to refine the mapping and update my notes for the courses I have played.

Now, off to moderation purgatory for me!

• JonJoney
    8 Posts
    Tue, May 1 2018 7:30 AM

I would just like to afford good balls without spending sooooo much money on them when they dont last so long.

• sodakknight
    700 Posts
    Sat, May 26 2018 3:20 AM

Chrynch:

Getting used to playing the same ball is one of the keys to shooting consistent better scores. 

+1

When you upgrade clubs, you may find the need for a different ball.  Once you find one that works, stick with it!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 26 2018 7:31 AM

sodakknight:

Chrynch:

Getting used to playing the same ball is one of the keys to shooting consistent better scores. 

+1

When you upgrade clubs, you may find the need for a different ball.  Once you find one that works, stick with it!

Totally agree. Sticking with one ball is the only way you're going to really understand your clubs and what they can do. Each ball has its own characteristics and unless you play with the same one all the time you won't be able to discern how deviation applies to your setup.

Was that WTF shot a result of deviation or the ball you just switched to? You won't know unless you've been playing that ball all along.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, May 26 2018 8:31 AM

Why when you rock up in a random Alt...

Find ya p,  using a freebie Lexus ball ( for example )

Know ya goin to be in for a 'rough ride' ;)

Their yardages will be Waay off.....

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, May 26 2018 9:14 AM
    A great thread. I hope some of the lower tiers use this thread, It would go a long way to helping their games.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 26 2018 10:18 AM

DonCaron:
    A great thread. I hope some of the lower tiers use this thread, It would go a long way to helping their games.

On that note, the most expensive ball is not the answer. I cringe when I see players using a $10 ball when they don't know how to pitch or putt. The ball isn't going to magically fix poor shotmaking or decisions. That's where the OP's advice plays.  :-)

• sodakknight
    700 Posts
    Sat, May 26 2018 2:01 PM

YankeeJim:

On that note, the most expensive ball is not the answer. 

Very very true!  In almost all cases!

RSS