Forums

Help › Forums

Very disappointed in Merion...

Sun, Apr 22 2018 11:47 PM (36 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Thu, Apr 19 2018 5:45 AM

duffputt:

One thing HAS changed about a year ago. The trees on first and tenth hole are "gone". U cant hit them anymore. That means U can go directly at flag on no 10 with way more eagles to come

A couple of weeks ago, I still managed a way to hit a tree. 😀

The ball came right back at me. But you’re correct. The tee shot seems a lot easier these days. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Apr 19 2018 6:21 AM

In the history of Augusta no one has broken par in all 4 rounds.................Revenue is always needed and the horse bolted long ago on that, but somehow any new version needs to remember stuff like that, IMO. 

TG think very differently to even the latter-day WGT.  

Same for all of course:)

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Thu, Apr 19 2018 7:00 AM

duffputt:

One thing HAS changed about a year ago. The trees on first and tenth hole are "gone". U cant hit them anymore. That means U can go directly at flag on no 10 with way more eagles to come

This must have changed before I started playing because I have never hit a tree on either of those holes. 

However, the OOB beyond Hole 10 is even in play into a headwind especially on mobile with the drivers on steroids. The high stakes coin games should be on the back tees according to the description and I backed off driver what I thought was a reasonable amount and still went long...made no sense but it isn't the first time WGT decided it was time to take a ball back... it only annoys me because I made the adjustment and still ended up well long into a headwind, if I hit the green got a bad bounce and kicked out of bounds would have made sense but to carry in the air well past the green OOB felt like WGT decided to throw the coin match.  

Am just finding the mobile game becoming far too gimmicky and more inconsistencies compared to the desktop version. 

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, Apr 19 2018 12:06 PM

el3n1:

This must have changed before I started playing because I have never hit a tree on either of those holes. 

Oh you missed out on some fun there : )

On #10 I dread to think how many balls were lost that hit the trees and landed a few yards in front of the tee.

I have to admit I hadn't noticed it had become harder to hit them, I don't play the course unless I have to.........

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Thu, Apr 19 2018 12:43 PM

"Very disappointed in Merion..."

Me too...  never did quite get what she seen in that prat in the lincoln green hat.

MainzMan:
    ... I don't play the course unless I have to.........

Noted.  :-)

• QuikDrawlMcGraw
    4,337 Posts
    Fri, Apr 20 2018 5:01 PM

ive always gone for green On 19 u just hooed it around the tree

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Sun, Apr 22 2018 12:52 AM

My brother, Andy, and I grew up very close to Merion and caddied there for many years.  The course is way harder to play IRL so quit your “bit-chin”.  I love this course on WGT as I’ve been in 90% of the houses you see during play...many a backyard BBQ and beers.  If anyone on here lives in Merion Golf Manor off of Darby Road I’d love to talk with you.  I miss my days up there since I moved to Atlanta, GA in 1996.

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Sun, Apr 22 2018 2:45 AM

pmm711:

My brother, Andy, and I grew up very close to Merion and caddied there for many years.  The course is way harder to play IRL so quit your “bit-chin”.  I love this course on WGT as I’ve been in 90% of the houses you see during play...many a backyard BBQ and beers.  If anyone on here lives in Merion Golf Manor off of Darby Road I’d love to talk with you.  I miss my days up there since I moved to Atlanta, GA in 1996.

So, we have to quit ''bitchin'' cause in real life Merion is way harder?

Unbelievable!!

Is it so hard to grasp that this is not a real life golf but a computer simulation?

Is it so hard to grasp that bugs or errors in a computer simulation game can be corrected via software meanwhile IRL play there's nothing of this kind?

When you play golf, you don't have dots for putting, neither putter pal for the speed, you don't have to ding to make a shot, neither wind stable directions. Furthermore...IRL you don't apply 30 different spins on the ball, you don't use rulers to find where to aim, you don't have a 90+% fairway on your driver.

Lastly, i shouldn't even have to mention that but for the shake of the conversation:

What's the reseblance in RL scoring and in WGT scoring? Absolutely none!!!

A computer simulation game has nothing to do, absolutely nothing, with the real play. Yes, WGT is an excellent simulation game with a lot of work behind it, but that's it. When you go to the courses, you play golf, here you play a simulation game.

So, please...let us ''bitchin'' when something needs to be fixed!!! After all, this is a forum about WGT game, not a RL golf performance. So simple.

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Sun, Apr 22 2018 4:46 AM

Yiannis1970:

pmm711:

So, we have to quit ''bitchin'' cause in real life Merion is way harder?

Unbelievable!!

Is it so hard to grasp that this is not a real life golf but a computer simulation?

Is it so hard to grasp that bugs or errors in a computer simulation game can be corrected via software meanwhile IRL play there's nothing of this kind?

When you play golf, you don't have dots for putting, neither putter pal for the speed, you don't have to ding to make a shot, neither wind stable directions. Furthermore...IRL you don't apply 30 different spins on the ball, you don't use rulers to find where to aim, you don't have a 90+% fairway on your driver.

Lastly, i shouldn't even have to mention that but for the shake of the conversation:

What's the reseblance in RL scoring and in WGT scoring? Absolutely none!!!

A computer simulation game has nothing to do, absolutely nothing, with the real play. Yes, WGT is an excellent simulation game with a lot of work behind it, but that's it. When you go to the courses, you play golf, here you play a simulation game.

So, please...let us ''bitchin'' when something needs to be fixed!!! After all, this is a forum about WGT game, not a RL golf performance. So simple.

On March 30th you shot a “simulated” 29 on a “simulated” Merion F9...I think you’ve figured out Merion’s quirkiness on here.  So you especially should quit your “bit-chin”.  If anything needs to be “fixed!!!” on here it’s the “difficulty” of the “simulation”.  And IRL Merion’s greens aren’t consistent either.  The greenskeepers there vary conditions to make play very perplexing for even for their scratch members.

A question just for chits and giggles...if you play a round on here without all your “aids”...do you shoot that much worse?  I’d much rather play 18 holes on here in 20 minutes vs. all that BS you do for 90 seconds on each shot.  I take it when you pinch a loaf today you’ll do so with the Sunday paper in hand, eh?  

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sun, Apr 22 2018 5:34 AM

duffputt:

I had forgot about the tree until I hit it today :)..

Although, it was a shorter tee with a shorter driver, so possible the reason for missing the tree might be the better equipment flying the branch which was in play with lower trajectory clubs. 

Going back to original topic, Merion is among the easiest courses to shoot 60. Gets much easier playing on 13+ greens.

RSS