Mon, Oct 5 2009 10:25 AM (9 replies)
  • TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 4:22 PM

seems to be for pros who sandbag.

• jasondement
    322 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 8:29 PM

ya dude your right there is alot that do but the ladder matches really are a good ranking system cuz as ya know cream rises to the top.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 8:54 PM

Can't confirm that absurd notion.    But we talked about it in the other forum, didn't we?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 9:09 PM

Wow.. you must've been beaten on the ladder by a pro.  Why else would you bring this whine to the forums over here at WGT.

Speaking for me, being a pro, I am still striving to make Master... and yes, i have beaten a Master or two on the ladders (although many more have beaten me).  What I have found out is this...  the Masters, who are truly skilled Masters and deserve their rank will win... the ones who ran to Master Tier by only recording their best rounds will not... and the latter will be the "masters" who get beaten by the "pros" regularly.

Oh.. I see you're a Master, Taternater..  I wonder which one of the above.

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 4:59 AM

lol snaike. look im no koolaid drinker ive lost 5 matches. my prob was that 3 of the "pros" were -4 or -5 on #9 and didn't putt out. thats all i'm saying.as for what kinda master i am lets hook up. jason i agree with u totally. i think the ladder system is better than the wgt ranking system y i joined over there. there are those however taking advantage of their pro ranking!! thats my point.

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 5:12 AM

faterson i read the link u left. understand completly. but u are not adressing my point.philboom, iceats hit hit on the nose and u guys want to dance around the issue.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 11:49 AM

We have addressed your point profusely. The thread has also received new replies since last time, so you might want to read up on it. 

Also, Mark has just posted a special announcement topic to deal with your issue, called Sandbagging / Putting Out, where he says, among other things:

Mwh65:
    Any player who disconnects, eg doesn't complete the 9 or 18 holes, must post a loss, no matter whether that player was 10 shots up.

With regard to players who do not putt out please Name & Shame these players on the WGTLS forums if you feel strongly enough about it to do so.

(my colour emphasis) I believe, TaterNater, that that is all that needs to, or can reasonably be done to address the sandbagging issue. 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 12:42 PM

I'lll be glad to play a round with you anytime, Taternater..  I would welcome the opportunity.

As I re-read your post after some 14 hours of (desperately needed) sleep, I have a clearer picture of your original point.  The reason it didn't make sense to me in the first place is that it is unthinkable for me, as a pro, to NOT putt out at -4 or -5.  I would make every effort to record that game as it could only help me in my quest to be a Master.

The games I do not putt out usually involve scores around +6 and higher.  When i have absolutely no chance of winning, I will finish the game (sans the final putt), congratulate my opponent(s) and run to post the loss.

This is what I thought you meant when you said that Pros do not putt out.  My apologies for misunderstanding your intent.

I think Mark has implemented a great tool for helping alleviate your concerns and i applaud him for that.  Another tool in the arsenal for discouraging sandbagging and quitting can only be a good thing.

Hey, I have an idea... What say we get a petition to get Mark Holiday (MWH65) over here to run WGT?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 3:17 PM

Mwh65:
    Any player who disconnects, eg doesn't complete the 9 or 18 holes, must post a loss, no matter whether that player was 10 shots up.

With regard to players who do not putt out please Name & Shame these players on the WGTLS forums if you feel strongly enough about it to do so.

Good stuff.  Was wondering about that myself.

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2009 10:25 AM

ty snaike for taking the time to reread what is was trying to get across. i appreciate it very much. i read the other post u left fatterson, good stuff to quote nivlac. i guess i just ran across a couple of the bad apples so to speak. the ladder site is well done and has made the game much more fun and competitive again for me. great job to all who run it.

RSS