Forums

Help › Forums

Distance Calculator (program)

Fri, Nov 17 2023 11:20 AM (110 replies)
  • Zzyzx01
    1,251 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2021 11:03 AM

Jimmie -

Obviously you have put a lot of time, effort, and thought into this app and I am interested in trying it out; however, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so could you spend a bit more time and put together a README file as a tutorial to get the most out of the app.

Thanks in advance.

....henry

• jimmiespencer
    254 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2021 5:30 PM

Will do.

Credit to WGT players  because the calculations used were from comments in the forums.

Such as the wind table constant of 0.58 mph.

divide 3 by 4 rule with feet.

Young46 putting calculation and wind degrees image.

I wrote the program what I thought might be helpful to me. I find that it is so I thought I would share. Its only a reference tool that might help you adjust your shot.

Will it get you 2 feet from the pin each time, probably not. 

I will write a "Readme File" describing the input fields, button options etc. on  how I use the program that makes sense to me and post it here. Also I will post it on my profile page.

Jimmie

• jimmiespencer
    254 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2021 10:20 PM

Thank You 

I just finished the help / manual for my distance program.

You can view it at the link below.

view?usp=sharing 

• jimmiespencer
    254 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2021 6:59 AM

Help Manual is here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ina35wiyIcHePEI6LIxZ-sfh8tRtrjeT/view?usp=sharing

• jimmiespencer
    254 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2021 2:09 PM

The latest program is here, just release it. 

This one is total rewritten for course management.

view?usp=sharing 

Jimmie

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2021 9:16 AM

Congrats for you effort, your time and the will to share!!

Tried your program which i found extremely easy to use with many handy features. I did a sort of comparison with a one i use (a very old one that i found here in the forum). I believe is necessary to clear couple of things about the offset (aiming point) according to various winds. Playing with my balls (TM 93s) and with my clubs, the suggested aiming point is ok for flat shots, not for full back spin shots (which you have to give way more especially on the side winds).

I don't know with what equipment did your tests but i reckon that the aiming point (aka offset) is changing accordingly to your type of shot and the equipment used.

However, congrats again for your try!

• jimmiespencer
    254 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2021 9:43 AM

Thank you for trying and your response.

The offset (aim) is rather simple. 

1. Adjust the wind speed  with the 0.58 rule found here in wind table discussion.

2. Offset = Adjust wind speed times the yardage % times the wind vector sine angle

3. Vector sine angles are located inside the Wind Settings for each clock position.

I could add more sine angles for specific shots I guess to be more accurate.

What do recommend for different shot type? Backspin and Topspin?

I'm always looking for ways to make this program better.

Thank You

Jimmie

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2021 11:07 AM

I don't use rulers. Yes, i mean full back spin shots, half back spin, top spin. When u change your type of shot, you need to change the aiming point as well.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2021 11:21 AM

Just an advice...don't waste your time to make the sheet extremely detailed, i will explain why....every ball plays differently, every club plays differently, a full back spin shot has a different apex point therefore trajectory and a different aiming point than a flat/top or half spin shot. There are so many factors involved which i believe it's a waste of time.

The excel sheet can only be a guide for everyone which has to adapt it to his way of playing.

• NrEighteen
    956 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2021 2:02 PM

Yiannis1970:

There are so many factors involved

There are a few factors I would like to discuss with you, I sent a friend request so I can message you directly. I hope that's okay with you?

cheers

RSS