Forums

Help › Forums

Another way to Putt

Sun, Dec 10 2023 2:44 AM (100 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2020 1:43 AM

Dex000:

The different size grids (207, or 163) also = a different size hole, but no matter what size (or camera angle) we get, the constant is that there are always 7 cups. Correct?

Correct.

Dex000:

One question... for aiming simplicity, wouldn't it be easier to use 6 since technically there are 6 full cups from one end of the grid to the other. Before your head explodes, let me explain... You say 7, but then you subtract a full cup (17.5 - 17.5) to make your math work, since the two cups on the edge of the grid in your example are split in half. Why not, from an aiming standpoint, just count from the center of the cup to the grid line and make it six and remove the step of having to subtract the two halves that go over the grid lines?

Hole = 35 pixels. Grid = 207 pixels. 35 * 6 = 210 pixels. Six cups. I don't see the reason for counting it as seven holes when you subtract one of them at the end. 

You are correct again, but consider one thing. Our starting aiming point is the vertical grid line which has to be placed exactly at the center of the cup. So, unavoidably, half of the cup will be inside the grid and half of it off, that's why i calculate seven and not six cups. To tell you the truth, i am working on the correlation between grid/distance/cup to determine the right aiming point, speed wise of course...i will try your suggestion of 6 cups (which i repeat, in theory sounds wrong cause we take in account only how many cups a grid can hold and not the center of the cup as a starting point..) and i will repost back.

Dex000:

Right now, I primarily use JC sneed, but I have a couple different techniques that I use at the same time, mostly to confirm what I think a putt is going to do. 

Same here. I use mainly JC's technique and adjust it sometimes (more with experience and feel). JC's method is the best thing out there if you are willing to count the dots as a putting technique. However, as i said, i am working on a different method as well, based on what we are discussing right here all these days.

Cheers, and stay safe.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2020 2:04 AM
    Another key point, that i forgot to mention, on counting the dots is the following: As we said before, counting EXACTLY RIGHT the dot speed is the main issue here, but...let's say for simplicity that everytime the right dot speed is given using only the back camera. As you go back and forth counting, you will notice that you don't get the same number of seconds after a certain period of time. If you count right away, you may come up with 6 seconds. If you recount them after 40'', you may come up with 5 seconds...that makes an enormous difference in our aiming point. Perhaps, is the rendering of my computer (which is quite old) and provides that discrepancy or the game is designed to do just that. All the nonsense about flash'es fault all these years were just rubbish, cause the same thing is happening on the launcher which does not use flash...
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2020 7:09 PM

((green speed / dot speed in seconds) * (distance in feet - elevation in inches))/1.25

This formula is fake!  It is almost always not enough break and I can't figure out how to adjust it!

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2020 8:34 PM

gerryniswonger:
    This formula is fake!  It is almost always not enough break and I can't figure out how to adjust it!

Are you playing on the new version? If so, every component of your calculation has to be extremely precise and your shot has to be perfectly executed. All the rough eye-ball measurement methods derived from the old flash do not work on the mobile (PCEA) version. It has always been that way. Good luck!

• Tabarnak777
    168 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2020 9:48 PM

I heard that strong wind can affect line of ball. For middle to long putts i guess...Is that true?

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2020 1:10 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    gerryniswonger:
    SimonTheBeetle:
    All the rough eye-ball measurement methods derived from the old flash do not work on the mobile (PCEA) version. It has always been that way. Good luck!

I assume that this method is based off of the Flash game. The Launcher(PCEA) application would probably not work too well in the past but since the recent changes to add the “Classic” putting grid into the Launcher version it should be very close now if that option is selected.
    There is still no Classic putting in Mobile but I would assume this formula could be easily applied simply by understanding that the Standard putting grid seems to travel at half the speed of the Classic(Flash). So if you count the dot speed in Standard, then double it and apply to this formula it should be very close.

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Sat, Dec 19 2020 4:42 PM

gerryniswonger:

((green speed / dot speed in seconds) * (distance in feet - elevation in inches))/1.25

Mobile only player here.  I use this formula. Just count the dot speed from the middle to the next grid line, divide the green speed by that number.  If your green speed is 12 and you counted 4 from the reset of the dots to the next grid line, your multiplier is 3. 

You also have to account for the fact that many breaks don’t all run at the same speed and you have to kind of look at the line and see where it is faster or slower and compensate. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Sat, Dec 19 2020 5:15 PM

MarchieB:
    There is still no Classic putting in Mobile but I would assume this formula could be easily applied simply by understanding that the Standard putting grid seems to travel at half the speed of the Classic(Flash). So if you count the dot speed in Standard, then double it and apply to this formula it should be very close.

I agree. Hope the classic dot speed option becomes available for the mobile version ASAP. It would save the time on the green dramatically. 

BWerthy:

Mobile only player here.  I use this formula. Just count the dot speed from the middle to the next grid line, divide the green speed by that number.  If your green speed is 12 and you counted 4 from the reset of the dots to the next grid line, your multiplier is 3. 

You also have to account for the fact that many breaks don’t all run at the same speed and you have to kind of look at the line and see where it is faster or slower and compensate. 

Been there, done that. To me, it was too inconsistent to be called a formula or a method.

I'm not saying you're wrong or Danny's method is fake. It might just work well for you but not for me because apparently, based on the conversations I had with friends (all top-notch players), we all get different dot speed depending on the performance of each individual's computer (device). The better your computer is, the faster the dot speed.

The multiplier (divisor) is, therefore, very subjective.

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Sat, Dec 19 2020 6:34 PM

Very interesting. Hadn’t thought of that but I can see how that might affect each person differently. Dot counting is also subjective and I think certain days my count might be different, slightly slower or faster than other days producing so so results. but overall for me it has really helped. Even if I’m not draining every putt I’m consistently closer than before and it has helped me be able to see the lines again. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2020 1:49 AM

Tabarnak777:

I heard that strong wind can affect line of ball. For middle to long putts i guess...Is that true?

Definitely yes.

RSS