Forums

Help › Forums

Would this work/help?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 30 2009 6:23 PM (8 replies)
  • pillsy
    489 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 6:14 PM

I know it takes countless hours/resources to release a new course (or so i've been told).  Seems like a lot of it is just logistically getting all the photographs of the course which in turn translate to the game.  my suggestion is this:  there's an indoor golf simulator in my town that I've played a few times in the winter when it's -10 degrees and 3 feet of snow on the ground.  The simulator has several well-known courses, and from what i remember, they all seemed very high quality.  would there be any way to "piggy-back" off the imaging they have already done?  i have no idea if this is even possible, just a suggestion in case there's a possibility the whole wheel doesn't have to be re-created.

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 6:27 PM

I highly doubt it, pillsy. There's probably all types of copyrights and such that would prohibit them from doing this. If they somehow worked out a deal with the simulators, they'd probably have to give them either a set amount of money or a cut of the profits; which in the end would work out to about the same amount. It's a very expensive business and it's tough to churn out profits when you have to spend $200,000 and six months on one course ... we'll just have to wait and see!

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 7:03 PM

Links came with a course making tool...thats why there are over 300 courses free for download, though the Links creators themselves never celephane wrapped more than about 30.

if WGT spent their time building a course creating tool, and offered it free, they might be surprised how willing the free labor force can be with a creative tool in hand.

gl

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 9:17 AM

The hd technology prohibits that. 

...........................unless I take my camera down to my course and hmmmmm................

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 4:57 PM

hmmm... Harding Park, (home of next week's President's Cup) is less than one mile from my house... Hey, WGT, one of you all drop by with a high-end HD camera and I'll get all the shots you want from Harding!  Won't cost you anywhere near $200K ... well, almost, but not that much!

LOL! 

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 5:34 PM

Hey Snaike... a fellow west coaster.  Have you given Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Pasatiempo, Torrey Pines or Bandan Dunes a go?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 5:43 PM

Snaike, you can borrow my mini-chopper.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 5:56 PM

Naw... my golf game is better suited for the SF Muni's... and the peninsula... (Harding is a Muni, in case you didn't know)

Had a chance to play Olympic on "caddy day", but couldn't dot all the "I"s or cross the "T"s...

When I can shoot low 80s I can justify the major $ needed to play the big boys.  ($500 to play Pebble!)

Can buy lots and lots of lessons for that! 

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 6:23 PM

... or lots and lots of clubs and golf balls on WGT!

RSS