Forums

Help › Forums

Rank

Wed, Aug 25 2021 2:24 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Herrera88
    1 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 2:02 AM
    How does the ranking work in WGT.I have been on pro tier for a few months,does it analyse your round ave .I have improved markedly ,but my round average is 73,because I play Olympic and bethpage courses most
  • Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 9:24 AM

Olympic is a pretty tough course. But a player should be able to score fairly well on Bethpage. I think it's one of the easier courses. But that just might be me.

In any case, here's a copy and paste from my CC's forum (it's by EasyEdward) regarding tier progression.

What average do you need to Tier up, how many rounds do you need, and what is the effect of winning a Ready-Go or Match Play on your Average?

• When Hack average is equal or less than 100.00 you move to Amateur
    • When Amateur average is equal or less than 80.00 you move to Pro
    • When Pro average is equal or less than 72.00 you move to Tour Pro
    • When Tour Pro average is equal or less than 67.00 you move to Master
    • When Master average is equal or less than 63.00 you move to Tour Master
    • When Tour Master average is equal or less than 61.00 you move to Legend
    • When Legend average is equal or less than 60.00 you move to Tour Legend
    • When Tour Legend average is equal to or less than 59.00 you move to Champion.
    • Tour Champion is by invitation only from WGT (we think).

BUT

Unless you win Ready Go Tourneys you need a certain minimum number of rounds played before you can move up to a higher Tier. This is commonly known as “saturation.” Rounds played on a Par 3 course, Par 5 course or any custom course do not count toward "saturation." Once saturation is reached WGT calculates your average based on the best rounds you have played in your current Tier. Both the minimum to get to saturation and how many rounds your average is based on is:  

• 5 ranked rounds as Hack before reaching Amateur
    • 10 ranked rounds as Amateur before reaching Pro
    • 20 ranked rounds as Pro before reaching Tour Pro
    • 25 ranked rounds as Tour Pro before reaching Master
    • 40 ranked rounds as Master before reaching Tour Master
    • 50 ranked rounds as Tour Master before reaching Legend
    • 500 ranked rounds as Legend before reaching Tour Legend
    • 200 rounds as Tour Legend before reaching Champion
    • 200 rounds as Champion to reach saturation. However, as Tour Champion is by invitation only, saturation in this case only applies to WGT’s computation of your average

HOWEVER

If you win a Ready-Go or a Match Play against a higher tiered player your average will drop. Typically the drop is between 1 and 2 strokes. The exact formula WGT uses is unknown but it appears that 40 to 50 strokes are deducted from the total number of strokes you have played in your current Tier as a “bonus” for your win.

This bonus no longer applies once you reach Legend Tier and do not carry over once you move up a Tier.

These bonus strokes fade over time. Specifically, based on observation it appears that upon saturation two bonus strokes are lost every time you score lower than your highest score WGT still has recorded as your best for your current Tier.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 10:06 AM

Herrera88:
    I have been on pro tier for a few months,does it analyse your round ave .I have improved markedly ,but my round average is 73,because I play Olympic and bethpage courses most
    Robert gave you the numbers.

To lower your average and advance in tier, you might want to play other courses, too. STA and KIA have a reputation of being quite easy from the shorter tees.

Also consider to play 9 hole rounds. By that, "good" and "bad" halves are separated - the good ones will count more, the bad ones will fall into oblivion.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 3:11 PM

Robert1893:

Olympic is a pretty tough course. But a player should be able to score fairly well on Bethpage.

BPB is a gear-dependent course.  If you have mediocre to average gear, it can be a real pain.  If you have great gear, it's cake.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 3:50 PM

@Michael

Fair point. 

• OGRammerJammer
    1 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2020 10:38 AM

This all makes sense but doesn't seem to play out this way. I'm a 72 Tour Pro with a 69.24 average. 115 Ranked rounds played, 91 tournaments. Every day I play and beat "masters", "legends" etc. with much higher averages, less rounds played, less tournaments played. It never adds up. I don't actually care what my rank or level is, but there is no good explanation out there for what I see playing this game every day. If the answer in this post is true, almost none of the higher ranked players I play would actually have that ranking. 

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2020 3:36 PM

Playing the mobile app , in the H2h games has always allowed progression to be made . Playing ranked rounds has been the traditional way , but with more players now using mobile you will see legends, tour masters etc , who may have 150 ave and no ranked rounds , and progress by beating higher ranked players .

• wcwcec
    1 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2021 1:40 PM

That’s most likely because, from my understanding, your average resets when you rank up t a new tier. So they might have had a very low average that allowed them to rank up, but then it reset and are struggling to get their average back down on the new tier 

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2021 6:30 PM

pdb1:
    You need to jump through 10,000 hoops before you receive an exclusive personal invitation before reaching Tour Champion.

OMFG... how many times do you need to be told this is NOT FN TRUE?

There is NO LONGER a personal invitation for Tour Champion

And you claim you don't spread misinformation. Proof is right there within the quote.

Don

• PAGES
RSS