Help › Forums

Green Speed before reaching first green

Tue, Jul 14 2020 1:01 PM (33 replies)
  • alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Feb 12 2018 2:54 PM

JonnoAUS:
    Some of us only use starter clubs - I refuse to spend money on wgt products
    So you expect the company to spend money (manpower etc.) just to let you more conveniently spend money NOT?

I'd suggest that you contemplate for a while over the principle observed by this game, "Free to play, pay to win!"

Then, make a decision whether or not to invest a few bucks into your pleasure and leisure.

Free hints from my long experience with Starter equipment:

- use full bs on each and every shot,

- expect the ball to roll over the whole green!

Have fun!

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Feb 12 2018 4:55 PM

JonnoAUS:
    Some of us only use starter clubs - I refuse to spend money on wgt products - so it’s nice to know before hand whether the 150-170 yard approach shot will stop reasonably quickly or whether I’ll under club allowing for lots of roll even with full back.

It cant be that hard to put the green speed on before before first hole can it?

If you're using starter clubs, knowing the speed of the green isn't really going to do much for you, if anything at all. 

• JonnoAUS
    31 Posts
    Mon, Feb 12 2018 10:10 PM

It does make a difference even with starter clubs. Sometimes if the pin is at the back, knowing it’s a fast green you can hit the green at front and it will roll forward up to pin.

Slow speed and you can be more aggressive at pin and it will slow up. 

Yes it’s true for pitching and chipping, bs doesn’t make a difference, but knowing the speed of the green means you can work out where to land it. I’m not sure why it’s so difficult to add it in.

im still not spending money. :p

• Brofga
    5 Posts
    Tue, Feb 27 2018 8:02 AM

Totally agree!

• Julian999990
    4 Posts
    Mon, Nov 19 2018 1:00 AM
    I agree. I am master level ( mobile platform ) and mainly play in the tier rooms. I have written to WGT on many occasions about is but the reply is sent to their development team for review. I have lost many games because I only get to the know the green speed when I land on it - if it's tournament level then invariably I roll way past and conversely if a slow green end up short. The banner is already there top left corner when you tee off so some format programming and this info could be added?
  • claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Mon, Nov 19 2018 2:37 PM

It's they same for everyone and your 16 ft avg to the hole is the issue here. May I suggest you work on your putting as well as approach shots!

Julian999990:
    I agree. I am master level ( mobile platform ) and mainly play in the tier rooms. I have written to WGT on many occasions about is but the reply is sent to their development team for review. I have lost many games because I only get to the know the green speed when I land on it - if it's tournament level then invariably I roll way past and conversely if a slow green end up short. The banner is already there top left corner when you tee off so some format programming and this info could be added?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 19 2018 4:13 PM

Julian999990:
    I have lost many games because I only get to the know the green speed when I land on it - if it's tournament level then invariably I roll way past and conversely if a slow green end up short.

In the absence of WGT doing anything about it, know that the vast majority of holes in this game play well under the pin. Rethink your approaches and envision rolling up to holes but staying under where you'll have a very makeable putt.

This will also improve what CB pointed out about your DTP. The key is to stay under the pin, you'll be way better off in the long run. Green speed isn't as much of a factor as you're thinking.

• Ships69
    4 Posts
    Mon, Dec 10 2018 8:30 AM

Yeah, go practice short game at the local 9 hole course a few hours before the club championship at the private club at which you pay handsomely to be a member of. Oh, and pre-rolls on the club putting green - you don't need to because you have the earlier  SLoooW green speeds dialed in.

For a game that markets itself on it's realism not showing this is anything but realistic. I've played Pinehurst #2 numerous times and don't know that the greens ever run sub 9.

Genius advice you give, troll on.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Dec 10 2018 9:57 AM

Ships69:
    I've played Pinehurst #2 numerous times and don't know that the greens ever run sub 9.

Woo hoo! Great for you. Just looking for an opportunity to throw that out there, eh? 

Well, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so.... 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Dec 10 2018 4:07 PM

Ships69:

Yeah, go practice short game at the local 9 hole course a few hours before the club championship at the private club at which you pay handsomely to be a member of. Oh, and pre-rolls on the club putting green - you don't need to because you have the earlier  SLoooW green speeds dialed in.

For a game that markets itself on it's realism not showing this is anything but realistic. I've played Pinehurst #2 numerous times and don't know that the greens ever run sub 9.

Genius advice you give, troll on.

That is better "advice" than you give.

You can practice at most any hole on any course,  You can set up a practice round with different green speeds.  It only takes time and practice (and a few hits on golf balls) to learn how this works.  Come back after you have played Pinehurst No 2 at tournament green speeds 12 or 13.

RSS