Forums

Help › Forums

Green Speed before reaching first green

Tue, Jul 14 2020 1:01 PM (33 replies)
  • sheepsass
    648 Posts
    Sat, Feb 10 2018 11:30 PM

Case in point.....how many of us really get that extra few yards with that darn top golf tee??Mee...don’t need the extra aggravation.....

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 3:54 AM

sheepsass:

Aren’t clashes tier based??.......ranked games......unless of course we someday get Ctth clash.....wait a sec...that wouldn’t be good for ball sales...unless.    Best of Water Shots....hurricane force winds....lol...don’t try and figure wgt out...you’ll go crazy!!!

Tees maybe but not green speeds. This weekend the green speed was (10) very fast.If it were tier based it would have been 13 or maybe even 14 or higher for me as a champion.

• Fanling2002
    1,149 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 8:09 AM

the info on green speed should be technically available from the very start of the hole and the pb should only be to display it (and it seems the space where it is displayed on the green is empty during the rest of the game)

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 8:20 AM

This last clash I got Best of 3's with 30 MPH winds 12 Times . I was shell shocked and lost 3 balls on the same hole, #13.

The first time, I said it was probably Me. The next time I lost another one over the green into brush. The third time, I had a cross wind and did the same thing.

After that i went 3 Iron and left the ball short and pitched up to get my par.

It's nothing but a crap shoot

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 8:32 AM

mthutter1:
    The green speed should be displayed prior to reaching your first green in any of the games.  If you have to chip it is a guess as to what you are up against.

I agree, you should have that information before you're on the green. But there is a simple solution to address the problem. Instead of using the chip shot, use the pitch shot with full backspin. 

If you have a decent wedge and ball combination, you'll get consistent results, regardless of the speed of the green. The ball should pretty much stop, with slight variations depending on green, after it lands. 

• Fanling2002
    1,149 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 9:15 AM

Robert

I use the pitch with full bs , but still there is a diff a 2 to 5 yards on 2 same shots depending on green speed

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 2:11 PM

@Fanling2002

I've never got that much variation. And I should have been clearer that I'm only referring to pitches of fewer than 17 yards, with my 64 degree wedge.

For 18 yards and up, I'll either use a punch or a full shot. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 3:04 PM

Robert1893:
    I've never got that much variation. And I should have been clearer that I'm only referring to pitches of fewer than 17 yards, with my 64 degree wedge.

I have but I think it's an indication of just how accurate that shot is.. If you're sloppy with the swing strength and haven't paid attention to the landing  you can easily get those results. Pay attention, think, execute and it's a killer shot.

Robert1893:
    For 18 yards and up, I'll either use a punch or a full shot. 

Don't forsake that 64W pitch here. Releasing the full bs lets you gauge the distance. Full pitch with no spin is going 21 on flat  (BPB 4 if you want to verify) so from 17-21 all you're doing is gauging the spin.

FWIW, the 60W pitch acts pretty much the same way and is a great shot for 22-28 off the green. I use the blue mini-ruler under the left end of the meter. Look close and you have definitive marks to reference.  :-)

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 6:17 PM

YankeeJim:
    Don't forsake that 64W pitch here. Releasing the full bs lets you gauge the distance. Full pitch with no spin is going 21 on flat  (BPB 4 if you want to verify) so from 17-21 all you're doing is gauging the spin.

Thanks for the tip! 

There's no doubt that I just got comfortable with using full backspin and didn't take the time to learn how the ball would react with no spin or with partial backspin. 

About a week ago or so, however, I was on Erin Hills (10th hole, I think) off the back of the green. I tried a pitch with partial backspin and hit it perfectly. It landed on the green a yard or so before the hole and rolled in dead center. I thought, "maybe I should experiment more with less backspin on my pitches!" :-) 

Still, old habits die hard. I keep going back to what I'm comfortable with. 

• JonnoAUS
    31 Posts
    Mon, Feb 12 2018 10:26 AM

Some of us only use starter clubs - I refuse to spend money on wgt products - so it’s nice to know before hand whether the 150-170 yard approach shot will stop reasonably quickly or whether I’ll under club allowing for lots of roll even with full back.

It cant be that hard to put the green speed on before before first hole can it?

RSS