Forums

Help › Forums

Honest Question on why People forfeit the coin room games?

Mon, Mar 25 2024 3:28 PM (35 replies)
  • QuotaRelief
    100 Posts
    Thu, Feb 1 2018 4:08 PM

Not sure what forum to post this in?  At any rate, want to know what benefit a player gets in forfeiting a game in the coin rooms on the mobile platform?  I’m not talking about forfeiting early after hitting a few shanks, I’m asking why people forfeit at the end of a game - simply to avoid finishing?  This happens far too often.  Perfect example - I just played a game in the Rio room (36K room) and I drained a slider 12 footer for birdie.  My opponent (also a Master) had a less than 1 footer left for par, so of course he couldn’t win.  Instead of putting out like a man (I’d like to name him but I won’t) he proceeded to let the clock run down twice and forfeit.

Yes poor form - but why?  What benefit does he get by doing this?  Unless I’m missing something, the game does not track wins / losses in the coin room games (something I wish WGT would support by the way).  So again,why not just finish a game?  Is there some benefit in forfeiting that I don’t understand?

• Next260
    2,189 Posts
    Thu, Feb 1 2018 6:26 PM

Does he lose the coins ?

• sheepsass
    648 Posts
    Thu, Feb 1 2018 7:00 PM

Yes he does lose the coins...and any xp’s that he would have received for finishing......

also any chance to win....yes...he could have won....opponent could get a phone call that’s more important than a golf game...lose connection...battery dies....

and of course if you finish the game...you just might get a sleeve of balls...I have errantly hit the gift button a few times..lol....

sooo....if ur gonna forfeit....I hope ur playing mee....

happy golfing😉

• QuotaRelief
    100 Posts
    Thu, Feb 1 2018 7:17 PM

Sheepass - sorry not buying the phone call thing.  And when a connection is lost you know it.  There are people that just seem to prefer a forfeit over a “loss.”  And that is the basis of my question - why?  In the example I gave (which has happened many times) - no the opponent did not have a chance to win.  Not when I’m in in 3 and he’s putting for a four.  Sometimes people will actually forfeit quickly rather than hitting the putt.  The worst kind - like in my example - waste my time and just let the clock run down twice - which then causes a forfeit.  

Again,I don’t think there is any benefit to forfeiting, but it happens enough that I wonder if I’m missing something?  I could almost understand if W/L records were kept and people had some strange ego affliction or something.  But the WGT doesn’t track this stat so what does it matter?

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2018 8:53 AM

QuotaRelief:

Sheepass - sorry not buying the phone call thing.  And when a connection is lost you know it.  There are people that just seem to prefer a forfeit over a “loss.”  And that is the basis of my question - why?  In the example I gave (which has happened many times) - no the opponent did not have a chance to win.  Not when I’m in in 3 and he’s putting for a four.  Sometimes people will actually forfeit quickly rather than hitting the putt.  The worst kind - like in my example - waste my time and just let the clock run down twice - which then causes a forfeit.  

Again,I don’t think there is any benefit to forfeiting, but it happens enough that I wonder if I’m missing something?  I could almost understand if W/L records were kept and people had some strange ego affliction or something.  But the WGT doesn’t track this stat so what does it matter?

I'm not going to defend alot of people who forfeit , but I can defend the fact that there are some valid reasons for it.  I'm now retired, but for a period of 28 years, I was on a volenteer fire dept as a firefighter/medic, and I had to forfeit more times than I'd like to admit.  I personally know of 12 others that play, that were on the dept with me.  When that alarm sounded, you left.  Many, many times I was winning, but that's the breaks.  How many others across this country are in the same boat?  Maybe hundreds, or thousands? I did try to tell opponents bye quickly, but sometimes it wasn't feasible.  I also know alot of police officers that are on here in same boat, so don't be too hard on all that forfiet.  Some have great reasons for it, proper etiquette should be followed, if possible though.yes I know that not all fall into this category,  and I'm sure that there are many other reasons, and yes, some are just plain jerks, forget it, enjoy your spoils of winning, and take the forfiet as a compliment. 

• QuotaRelief
    100 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2018 9:07 AM

Luckystar5 - yes I agree with much of what you say.  I’ve had to forfeit a few times myself for valid reasons.  That’s not what I’m asking about however.  There is NO doubt, that some guys will go to the end and just would rather forfeit than finishing the game and losing properly.  If there is no benefit in doing so which is what I ascertain, the only conclusion I can draw is there are far too many “jerks” playing this game.  By the way, for me it is just a game so I’m not getting spun up over this.  I guess it’s better that most of the jerks play their golf here, rather than the real game.  ;-)

By the way, still a great game and of course the Good eggs for outweigh the bad.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2018 10:32 AM

QuotaRelief:

I’m asking why people forfeit at the end of a game - simply to avoid finishing?  This happens far too often.  Perfect example - I just played a game in the Rio room (36K room) and I drained a slider 12 footer for birdie.  My opponent (also a Master) had a less than 1 footer left for par, so of course he couldn’t win.  Instead of putting out like a man (I’d like to name him but I won’t) he proceeded to let the clock run down twice and forfeit.

Yes poor form - but why?  What benefit does he get by doing this?  Unless I’m missing something, the game does not track wins / losses in the coin room games (something I wish WGT would support by the way).  So again,why not just finish a game?  Is there some benefit in forfeiting that I don’t understand?

the implication that this individual is not a man is also child like behavior is it not?  

The "losses" are recorded if you look at your monthly record on your "friends list" page. You can see how many wins, losses and ties you have had for the month, it appears to reset at the beginning of each month.

Again, neither of these really matter in the grand scheme of things.  Many people have a variety of reasons some valid, and some purely selfish, or petty.

You were playing Rio a 1 hole room, I would possibly forfeit and move on as well unless I could receive the "reduced sponsor" reward for a loss.  If I was playing without being on a sponsor timer, I may even forfeit immediately to move on to another game if I am building my bankroll.  

IMHO, the only way WGT could offset this or reduce the chances of it happening is offer something beyond nothing to the loser.  When you have virtually nothing to gain, there is even less incentive to finish.  XP are simply not substantial enough in 1 or 3 hole matches to count as incentive.  

It annoys me to but fact is, you already got their coins, so what does it matter?  Coins are worthless, unless you are really a low tier player using them to rent the coin rental clubs then they have some value to you.  Otherwise, again coins are worthless you can't buy anything of value they are a marketing tool used by WGT to get you to play more games, use up more hits on balls, and spend more time playing their game.

You are being "played" as much as you are playing the game in a sense especially if you think the coins have value, which they won't until WGT changes this. 

Some people accumulate the coins to play the higher stakes coin rooms in order to be more formidable opponents in the Turf Wars, which offers the winning club a "superpass" but in reality using one or two free passes during a Clash can serve the same function as spending money on CC passes and using up hits on balls!  Still another diversion and marketing strategy.  

The real value in the coin room matches comes in "learning to play or putt" under pressure and make quicker decisions than you normally are given to make.  It can help your overall game, but it can also amount to a fair amount of luck especially if you play one hole coin games in heavy winds where anything can happen.  Over 9 holes typically the more consistent player will win, but then you also have to avoid the WGT hiccups when you hit a shot and it does something completely unrealistic, which has happened to my opponents and to myself.  I often acknowledge the bad break or lament my own but there is limited time to type messages in a hunt and peck method.

I admit I do detest the player that forfeits a 9 hole match on the very last hole with one maybe two shots at the most remaining especially when they went down as many as 3 shorts in the first 4 holes.  I feel that is poor form because in that instance they do lose a few more XP for those matches but the XP gained in the one or 3 hole matches is virtually irrelevant as a basis or reasoning for completing the match.  

The other person could be using a sponsorship which expires after about 25-30 minutes, if the match is over why not close out and get another one started to try and get in as many matches as you can if you are trying to earn more "points towards the slightly better sponsors apparel.  Some of which has benefits and other less so.  The problem with this...you may not even get what you are hoping for and it is rather random so again, it doesn't really matter. 

I won't ignore the fact I have forfeited on the first tee after wacky shots, or WGT declaring a lost ball after hitting a shot I have hit before and never lost a ball doing.  If I do so, I try to do so timely and without letting the clock drain on the other person.  I also would not want to do it on the last hole of a 9 hole match.  Even if I played a two hole match and my opponent went 2 up after two holes it is unrealistic I could win, I am happy to say gg and move on to another match, forfeiting before even teeing off.

Fact is regardless of the other persons motivations, I try to remember...either they gave me their coins or I gave them mine.  Coins are rather worthless so does it really matter. You are likely playing for experience anyway.  If you want to "rub" the other person's nose in it, then that too is poor form.  

Also, when I first started I thought it "smart" to comment on players profile pages and that too is probably unnecessary.  I also think it is frowned upon by WGT because it can appear you are trying to disparage another player.  

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2018 10:33 AM

I have to laugh, since I replied to you, my club went into a turf war.  I signed in to play, and drew a master (large coin game)  He teed off, my turn, I out drove him by 32yards, he quit,,,,,,lol  amazing. Large bank for me,  lol easy win! 

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2018 10:33 AM

message got duplicated, sorry removed this one..

• QuotaRelief
    100 Posts
    Fri, Feb 2 2018 11:07 AM

el3n1 - although your very first sentence is just silly, I guess I should thank you for your response.  For whatever reason I never saw the W/L record listed in the friends section - so now I know.  Would be fun if WGT kept this as a running stat.

Maybe I didn’t state it eloquently, but my question really was meant to be a simple one. From the responses so far, I believe there is nothing one gains from forfeiting a game.  To state again, I actually do understand if someone forfeits as soon as they see they can’t win the game.  What is really ridiculous imho, is those players who simply refuse to finish out at the very end of a game.  I get that the coins are generally worthless, that’s not the point.  It’s just poor form if you don’t finish and the main reason is to primarily be a D*ck.  So you don’t have to point this out, I’ll apologize for my “child like” behavior.  ;-)

RSS