Help › Forums

Driving Distance Myths

Sun, Jul 11 2021 6:19 PM (57 replies)
  • Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 3:32 PM

twinponds169:

Baldace:
    I know I'm old but what is this apparel gimmick, mobile only I assume.

Yea, magical avatar shirts and such, I'm told you can get 300 yards with your 3 wood off the fairway. Sheeesh! What a pathetic unrealistic game the mobile has become. Carnival city.

flat spin. 90degree crosswind about the best i can get on a flat fairway is about 290 with my 3w. :D (Not counting st andrews concrete fairways)

For everyone else just to clarify. the apparel works on mobile for mobile head to head games. Can't use apparel in any tournaments  so far. No ready gos. No CC tourneys. so only people with apparel compete against each other. with one exception.

That exception is Clashes. If I play a Clash game on my tablet the apparel effects are in play. Even though they aren't shown in the displayed club yardages etc.  I've checked just about every clash that's come around since apparel came into play. The bonuses are still there but hidden. 

Incidentally my driver lists out at 304 or 305 now and my 3w lists at 264. (on tablet coin games) .

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 3:36 PM

Robert1893:

Luckystar5:
    I would think that the difference would be that, we that have put the larger amount of rounds in the game, we have earned the right to better equipment for more distance, etc.  Yes no difference in money spent theroy, but not having put the time in, only showed through when he had no aiming and recovery ability.  Therefore what wgt is telling us, is that the more dedicated players, that have played more, and leveled up,  aren't worth having anything better?  No rewards?   "Just show me the money!"

Fair enough.

Still, a couple of points worth mentioning. It's only on the mobile platform. And I thought, even there, they are only equipped during coin matches. 

Those  matches don't affect average. And the coins earned through those matches are basically worthless. So, they're really not getting anything out of. To me, this is what they're doing by purchasing apparel:

Apparel isn't purchased. You get points for winning H2H coin games and those points get you the apparel and then upgrade it with more points. It does cost a paltry amount of silver coin each upgrade but it's insignificant.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 3:38 PM

twinponds169:

YankeeJim:
    You mean what you wear affects the shots??!! 

Indeed, adds extra distance to your clubs.

spin also.

or more power out of rough or brush or sand.

or slower meters.

larger "sweet spots" (still not sure if that has ever had an effect).

also better forgiveness and precision in putters. it's all about choices.

Im one of the few guys that plays both platforms quite a bit. Play with a different set of numbers. 

But still have to read the  putts and  be accurate on approaches. Switching between the two different meter sizes is the hardest thing. Otherwise it's just keeping track of a different set of numbers.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 4:25 PM

Mythanatos:
    Im one of the few guys that plays both platforms quite a bit. Play with a different set of numbers. 

What do you mean by this? 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 5:00 PM

Mythanatos:
    Apparel isn't purchased. You get points for winning H2H coin games and those points get you the apparel and then upgrade it with more points. It does cost a paltry amount of silver coin each upgrade but it's insignificant.

Then why are the apparel packs listed in the Pro Shop? 

This is a just legitimate question because I really don't know how they work. But I see them in the apparel shop being sold for credits. If you can get them some other way, why would anyone spend credits on them? 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 5:43 PM

YankeeJim:

Mythanatos:

What do you mean by this? 

3w FBS normal goes about 259 off the tee.

3w FBS apparel bonus goes about 268 off the tee.

Driver numbers change too. 

The shirt that i wear adds spin to irons. This means a ~7 yard difference between listed yardage and FBS instead of the normal ~5 yards.

Those are the three that i have to adjust. and everytime i upgrade one of those three items i have to head to kiawah and hit about 10 shots to test the change. 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 5:53 PM

Robert1893:

Mythanatos:

Then why are the apparel packs listed in the Pro Shop? 

This is a just legitimate question because I really don't know how they work. But I see them in the apparel shop being sold for credits. If you can get them some other way, why would anyone spend credits on them? 

Because some people are impatient.

If im playing mobile games i'll get a platinum pack every 20 wins or so. a gold pack every 10 wins or so. But i think the chances are higher in the Manhattan and Bellagio rooms than what every one else gets.

The problem with the buyable packs is that they are random as far as which items get upgraded. You can't choose the items you want to upgrade in apparel packs. there is one item a day you can buy but it's always sold out. think it becomes available at noon GMT. one hundred purchases available at 10 credits each i think. 

Some people buy that stuff too. I don't get it.

But then again it's my guess that the top 50 mobile coin players probably control 90% of the total coins in the game.  Most everyone i play i'd hazard to say has over 100 million coins.

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 8:42 PM

Hard enough to get the club numbers down pat as it is. Having to reconfigure when i wore my Disco Ball Briefs would be too much. :-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 18 2018 5:22 AM

Mythanatos:

Those are the three that i have to adjust. and everytime i upgrade one of those three items i have to head to kiawah and hit about 10 shots to test the change

Thanks for the answer, I wasn't sure I was thinking right. That means that the top equipment and balls actually get better and I find that a bit crazy. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Thu, Jan 18 2018 8:02 AM

Mythanatos:

Robert1893:

Luckystar5:
    I would think that the difference would be that, we that have put the larger amount of rounds in the game, we have earned the right to better equipment for more distance, etc.  Yes no difference in money spent theroy, but not having put the time in, only showed through when he had no aiming and recovery ability.  Therefore what wgt is telling us, is that the more dedicated players, that have played more, and leveled up,  aren't worth having anything better?  No rewards?   "Just show me the money!"

Fair enough.

Still, a couple of points worth mentioning. It's only on the mobile platform. And I thought, even there, they are only equipped during coin matches. 

Those  matches don't affect average. And the coins earned through those matches are basically worthless. So, they're really not getting anything out of. To me, this is what they're doing 

Since it seems to be all just about more cash in their pockets, don't you think it's just a start, that this might bleed into the pc version soon?  Then what?  Alot of the old timers are already complaining about how easy it has become to tier up on mobile version.  This just magnifies the simpler way to get to the top.  I know that they won't be able to hold their own, but still, just go to the pro shop,  buy boost and level up faster, after that, buy apparel,  move even faster, OK,  now get either the plus package, or premier package you'll get there really quick.  Next on the list, buy your  tier, pick what you want, pay a one time fee?  

RSS