Forums

Help › Forums

Has anyone compared the L44 Anser 2 to the Rossa?

Thu, Sep 23 2021 12:08 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AndrewWoo
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jan 8 2018 7:58 AM

I'm at level 52, and when I hit 44, I rented the Anser 2.  Went out and shot my best round ever (65) at St. Andrews.  Putts were dropping from everywhere.  I couldn't believe it!

I've been saving up for the Rossa, but comparing the 2 putters, they have very similar ratings in the pro shop.  Has anyone played or compared both?  I know the Rossa has years of validation here, but the Anser blew my mind!

I'm going to rent the Rossa when I hit 55 and make my decision.  But until then, I'd love to hear from you - have you played either/both?  What are your thoughts?

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Mon, Jan 8 2018 9:07 AM

At your level and with the clubs you currently list as having, I wouldn't even worry about upgrading the putter. If you really want to improve your putting, drop the hybrid and invest in 3 good wedges (56, 60, and 64 degree).

Personally, I love the Cleveland wedges. Even so, they're a bit pricey. But the Level 27-31 Cleveland wedges will be game changers. They can back up the starter ball. 

Then when you get to level 59, upgrade your irons to the Ping. In my opinion, at this point, you just need to continue learning the courses and not worry about your average or your stats. 

• Bowl64
    3,083 Posts
    Mon, Jan 8 2018 11:10 AM

As Robert said, 3 wedges are gold :) I`ve had both of the putters you`re talking about and if you`re going to step it up in the putterdepartement get the 

Odyssey Versa #1 Black Putter (L33+).

I use it`s big brother at (L70+) and i`m nothing but satisfied:))

Bjorn

• AndrewWoo
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jan 8 2018 11:16 AM

Thanks guys.  I'm really excited about those L59 Pings.  That's a no brainer for me.  

I'll upgrade my wedges for sure.  I think shooting 7-8 strokes better in one round with a 2 hr Anser 2 rental blew my mind though.  I've been demo'ing wedges (Max series lately) as I've moved up.  They seem good, but obviously a 2 hr rental isn't long enough to get used to them.  

The Cleveland 588's are 50-77-93.  With the PW of the G25 set at 115, does that seem ok?  Dropping 3000 credits for wedges doesn't seem as good to me as getting the Rossa and the L59s for the same price, but I'm willing to be persuaded.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Mon, Jan 8 2018 11:52 AM

AndrewWoo:
    The Cleveland 588's are 50-77-93.  With the PW of the G25 set at 115, does that seem ok?  Dropping 3000 credits for wedges doesn't seem as good to me as getting the Rossa and the L59s for the same price, but I'm willing to be persuaded.

I have to be honest here and say that I think your experience with the putter just happened to be a very good round that you happened to have. I actually used the starter putter until I hit Level 70 and got the Versa. Never regretted that decision. 

I'd put a whole bunch of money on a bet that the credits spent on the wedges would be a better investment than the putter. With those wedges (or a comparable set), you'll save a lot more strokes per round (in the long run) than the putter will save you. 

In fact, with those wedges, you're really getting about 9 clubs (full swing, punch, and pitch) that are highly effective. Your average distance to the pin will go down considerably. And that means you can make do with a lesser putter for a while. I think the better putters really show their strength when you get to tournament (12) and championship (13) greens

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Mon, Jan 8 2018 11:54 AM

Bowl64:
    I use it`s big brother at (L70+) and i`m nothing but satisfied:))

Except for the putters in the really high range (for example, the Level 98 Sabertooth), I think that's the best putter in the Pro Shop. 

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Mon, Jan 8 2018 4:00 PM

Hi Andrew

Firstly I have to agree with everybody who's said three good wedges are vital. From around the green you'll have shorter / easier putts whatever you have for a putter.

On to the Anser. I used the lvl28 for a long time and loved it. The lvl44 was similar but, in my opinion, not as good. The lvl72 a waste of credits.

As someone who putts "off ding" the best was the lvl28. After that mistake I got the lvl55 Rosso and without question it's the best of the bunch. I used it untill I reached legend, it's still in my bag now, and didn't really want to change. I can't speak for the odyssey, I've never used it but with the Rosso I don't think you can go wrong. The round at St. Andrews was probably a fluke, albeit a good one, I don't think a change of putter can make such a huge change so quickly unless you were using a broom handle before.

Happy hittin'

Rich

• AndrewWoo
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jan 8 2018 5:37 PM

Thanks guys.  I went back and played St. Andrews again today with the starter irons/putter and shot 66, so maybe that's about normal for me now.  I'm almost to 55, so I'll rent the Rossa then.  Still trying to figure out how to get 6000 credits worth of clubs without paying much real money, LOL.  Surveys, videos and all that like crazy!

• SeveFrost
    1,478 Posts
    Tue, Jan 9 2018 3:34 AM

Andrew, I had the Rossa and it was a great putter, the only reason I changed was I prefer a ten increment putter 

My main advice I give on most of these club advice threads is get yourself the best possible 64deg wedge that you can afford. As you progress through the levels the most important part of the game for me was the short game and that particular wedge can save so many shots by getting in close from missed shots round the green

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 8:38 AM

AndrewWoo:

Thanks guys.  I went back and played St. Andrews again today with the starter irons/putter and shot 66, so maybe that's about normal for me now.  I'm almost to 55, so I'll rent the Rossa then.  Still trying to figure out how to get 6000 credits worth of clubs without paying much real money, LOL.  Surveys, videos and all that like crazy!

L59+ Ping G25s full set 4,495 credits is the best place for you to start . Then back them up with the Ping wedges as they are good wedges . Then finish with the putter of your choice . Unlike the other clubs , putters are only as good as your ability to read and play the greens .

You can become great at putting only if you learn how to do it well . Its not a magic wand so dont think that the skill comes with a price tag .

• PAGES
RSS