Forums

Help › Forums

*Important News Regarding Account Security*

Sat, Feb 4 2023 7:40 PM (65 replies)
  • WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 8:27 AM

Hi everyone. If you've been looking around the forums recently you may have seen some threads about some players having their account compromised. This is true. 

While the WGT website, servers, etc., have not been compromised, individual players using a weak or a default password have been. 

Please go change your password, especially if you are using a default password or something very weak. (like if your password is password) Also, if you receive an error when changing your password, ignore it, log out, and try logging in with the new password you created. 

If you believe that your account has been compromised, please contact our customer service team immediately. 

Our silence on this matter has largely been my fault. I wanted to wait to have a more official statement, but I can not wait any longer. 

On our end we are working to create new tools for passwords and your protection. If you have any questions for me about this, feel free to hit me with a private message, or in the comments below. 

_CHAMPION

EDIT: if you believe you have been compromised, in addition to changing your password, check your account info to make sure all the info is accurate, specifically your email address. 

• HalHoff
    788 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 8:47 AM

Thank you for finally addressing this situation publicly, I was afraid my posts on the subject would be deleted. If you need screenshots of my members activity where balls were gifted to, let me know.

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 9:02 AM

Now now , we all know that the lack of notice is not your fault . So no taking this on the chin as it`s all on the management . If not for the other threads giving a heads up about this , nothing would be said .  Management would have quietly fixed the problem and not said a word . That of course would have been pathetic as the players have a right to know .

The tongue tied in a knot form of communication from WGT needs to stop . The company tries to treat everything like its a C.I.A. secret when its not . We as players arent asking for trade secrets or access to copy rights . Just a sensible form of communication as well as responses to issues that should be addressed here in the forums .

So no Champ its not your fault , nor is it the fault of any other mod either . Also players should not only change their passwords if needed . But also change any posted billing or card information as well . For those accounts that have been compromised , WGT should allow those players to set up brand new accounts with new user names and profiles if they so desire to do so .

So let management know that once again they screwed the pooch . Their lack of caring in regards to us the players is truly pathetic . It really make me question their integrity as a human being and thats sad .

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 9:11 AM

Well done and thank you for getting some 'official' word out.  I just hope you don't catch any grief from the 'aboves' for doing this.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 9:42 AM

Repost from another thread:

kavvz:

Robert1893:

The only things I would add are the following:

• As an additional precaution, people should take screen shots of their profile showing how many credits they have.
    • Use strong passwords. At the very least, the password should be an alphanumeric password with a mixture of upper and lower case letters. Ideally, one would also include a special character. 

+1111

I'll to make the password loooooooong if you can.  i.e. as many characters as possible.

I feel incumbent to add that this issue doesn't stop at WGT.

If you bank or do anything online where you enter your pertinent information, you should have very stroooong passwords.  Banking, other bills, costco whatever you do online is not safe but there are ways to protect yourself.

1. Don't use default / weak passwords
    2. Don't use the same password for multiple things.
    3. Enter as little information as you can get away with on your account.  Some online things/services have required fields you must fill in, but if its not required don't fill it in.
    4. Consider Use a password manager.  Lots of info. online about it.   Edited this to say that if you do things online it's a must.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407168,00.asp

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 9:47 AM

lonniescott711:

The tongue tied in a knot form of communication from WGT needs to stop . The company tries to treat everything like its a C.I.A. secret when its not . We as players arent asking for trade secrets or access to copy rights . Just a sensible form of communication as well as responses to issues that should be addressed here in the forums .

You're not wrong. I want us to be much more transparent with what we're doing this year so the community isn't in the dark. Often the reason we don't make an announcement is because plans change, and what we think we're going to be able to do falls apart, so we often don't announce things in advance until we feel it's guaranteed. 

lonniescott711:

Also players should not only change their passwords if needed . But also change any posted billing or card information as well . 

Player's card information is held offsite and if you have a card on file it can't be seen in your account info. If you have a card on file, a security code is still needed to make a purchase. 

For player's on mobile, everything is held with their Google Play/iTunes/Amazon account and is not tied in any way to their WGT account. 

_CHAMPION

• Bowl64
    3,083 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 10:49 AM

Thanks Champion, hope you solve the problem and i will change my password :)

Bjorn

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 11:05 AM
    Would it not (and is it still not) possible to do a database search for anyone that is still using this password and send them an automated email to change it? That surely must be better than allowing this information to be in public before a fix is in place.
  • AussieMick11
    1,275 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 11:10 AM

Thanks for the info WGTChampion.

WGTChampion:

For player's on mobile...

is it possible to change your WGT account password using the app? If so, I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated so I can let my club mates know.

Cheers

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 11:11 AM

I don't much care if someone breaks into my golfing account ...as long as they putt better than I do:)

RSS