Forums

Help › Forums

Playing Crosswinds

Tue, Jul 28 2020 9:02 AM (20 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 11:01 AM

JimbeauC:
    Nope. Just off the tee or FW on a par 5.

I thought so. That's the only thing I could see it being worth anything for but knowing that, fooling around with the zoom on the approach is worth messing with. Gonna take a look.  Thanks again.  :-)

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 12:10 PM

Long ago, I remember asking in the CC forum if anyone had a clue about the width of the marker, thinking that it would be a good tool for dealing with crosswinds. Apparently nobody had thought of that before. That's when I started my experimenting. 

I made my findings known, and several started using it. I'm not sure, but I think I put it up in the main forums a few years ago. 

Anyway, like I say, it works for me.

Oh. Don't be put off by my fairways stats. There are a few out there that I miss on purpose, finding that a short shot from the rough can be easier than a longer one from the FW. 

:^)

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 1:01 PM

Interesting JimbeauC...

So, using the overhead view on the right on a par 3, lining up the edge of that triangle to the flag would be 12 yards correct?  i.e.  You'd aim here given this hole and wind?

Also, I've seen multiple players using the zoomed in pitch view to aim approaches.  Could you elaborate a little bit perhaps, and explain how may yards/feet is that pitch view grid from the fairway?  

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 1:24 PM

kavvz:
    You'd aim here given this hole and wind?

Correct, given that it's right at 200 yds. If it were a 150, it'd be more like 8-9 yds. I've only ever used it on approaches in comps I don't really care much about, like a red tee, CC custom. 

I don't zoom in with the pitch grid. Think of it as being 10 yds across. You'll come pretty close. Do note that the outside area is a bit tough to see since it isn't outlined. Zoom in to see what I mean. Sometimes the angle will give you a diamond grid instead of a square. Just call it 14 yds corner to corner. Close enough. 

Caveat: WGT messed with the wind VEM a few years ago, so many old school calcs are just a middle ground. They work mostly, though.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 1:39 PM

Great stuff thank you for the info.

More on the pitch view from fairway. So again if you align the edge of that pitch view grid to the pin that's aiming for 5 yards of wind then...?  If so, then is it the same if you zoom in to the green as well?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 2:07 PM

kavvz:
    So, using the overhead view on the right on a par 3, lining up the edge of that triangle to the flag would be 12 yards correct?

12 or 24? I thought Jim was using 24 yards for the tip to tip.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 2:21 PM

YankeeJim:

kavvz:
    So, using the overhead view on the right on a par 3, lining up the edge of that triangle to the flag would be 12 yards correct?

12 or 24? I thought Jim was using 24 yards for the tip to tip.

I was thinking that if it's 24 across from tip to tip along the top of the triangle, then the middle tip on the bottom is 12 and since that's the aim point, then when the left top tip just touches the flag that's 12 yards. 

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 2:29 PM

Some adjustment is needed if the triangle is skewed, but since it's just a fairway I'm trying to hit, it doesn't need to be that precise. 

Hmm. There are times that I want to hit a very specific bit of fairway, so I do sometimes use the pitch grid off the tee, but it's pretty rare. I forget which hole but there was one par 5 at Oakmont that being on the extreme right was the place to be if the wind made it conceivably reachable. 

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 2:34 PM

kavvz:
    that's aiming for 5 yards of wind then

Yep. Right the first time. I have better luck with the behind the green cams if available. 

kavvz:
    if you zoom in to the green as well

Zoom doesn't change the size of the grid to my knowledge, but since I don't zoom, I can't say for sure.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 5:22 AM

JimbeauC:
    Zoom doesn't change the size of the grid to my knowledge, but since I don't zoom, I can't say for sure.

Thanks for clarifying that triangle, I'm intrigued now. I'm also assuming everything expands proportionately, too, so the values wouldn't necessarily change.

Then again, we all know what you do when you assume something.  ;-)

RSS