Forums

Help › Forums

Top drivers

Wed, Nov 14 2018 2:43 PM (28 replies)
  • lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 1:55 PM

The L100+ driver is a better driver . Its not a magic wand but its a very good driver .As YJ was saying get your meter speed as close to 1 speed as possible . It makes for a smoother meter and easier to hit the ding as well . It gets good yardage even when using the free ball and it plays just as good as the L103+ R1 .So 20 days from now buy it and enjoy having a very good driver .

I upgraded all of my clubs and retired my nike clubs . I had the credits to do it and glad that I did . Even the L100+ irons seem to have a better feel than the nike irons did . Some clubs cant really be explained but these upgrades were all worth the while .

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 2:19 PM

True, 20-30 days is nothing, I will wait till L100 and try it out and than decide.

Thanks everyone.

• Gepetto1958
    4,217 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2017 10:07 PM
    AlaskanDame:
    a new driver should at least let you use one notch shorter iron for improved accuracy of your second shot.  2 yards of difference won't do that.
    True AK....but he lets me have the same yardage as yours AND with my cheap oldfaithful no distance G-13S lol. JP
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Dec 18 2017 8:47 AM

Am closing in on some of these same driver decisions.  I haven't tested all of them and obviously don't have all of your personal experience, so it is hard to say.

For most, it seems unnecessary to upgrade to the L103 driver because you/me/we are not competing for credits in ready go's all the time.  Yet, I would say there is a reason Fmagnets, Young46, and others carry the longer driver.

That 2 yards that everyone dismisses from what I have read and been told by others playing this game for years is... that with a higher end ball as well as the increased carry that 2 yards can play more like 10 -15y.  Yes, technically 2 yards is not a big deal.  It is how much longer it plays in actuality that really matters.  I don't have the numbers on this so I can't say exactly, but this is my impression on why there is a difference and why someone may consider the upgrade eventually.  It also depends on how you play the ball you use.  I have used a L11 Srixon ball and hit comparable tee shots with my current driver compared to those carrying a L98 R1 and a higher end ball with a tail wind.  But gives us a headwind and now I am 10-20y behind them.  

My personal preference and what I am going to try and do is match my meter speeds as much as possible.  The reason I am choosing to do so is because I do not seem to be a high frequency "ding" player.  I am hoping/trusting having more consistency across my bag will help.  Given you hit your driver, irons, and putter the most.  It is those three meter speeds that I am guessing should at the very least be the same.  Your 3 wd is far less frequent so it is unlikely to effect your timing issue as much.  whereas if your driver is 3.5 and your irons are 4.2, then as subtle as it is it may be a minor incremental factor in timing or dinging the meter.  

I have also adapted my play to intentionally mis ding some shots so I feel it hasn't hurt my play too much.  

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on drivers though.  My primarly concern with the L98 R1 is whether the med/hi ball flight will get over the trees when you choose to take that line.  But I may still opt to wait for the driver that matches my meter speeds.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 18 2017 1:37 PM

el3n1:
    My personal preference and what I am going to try and do is match my meter speeds as much as possible.

Good move.

el3n1:
    I do not seem to be a high frequency "ding" player. 

Then pay attention to the driver forgiveness. Staying in the fairway off the tee is the single biggest thing you can do to give yourself the best chance at a GIR and it's real easy to get lazy with the driver.  My level 98 R1 let's me get away with murder. (I think the trajectory of the 8 degrees does that.) ;-)

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Tue, Dec 26 2017 5:23 AM

Just reached L100. I rented the Callaway Fusion Driver (L100+). It felt good and it is definitely longer than my L79 SLDR. I bought it.

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Fri, Nov 9 2018 5:48 AM

I just tried the L103 driver for 2 hours. I don’t know If I should buy it. Anyone made the switch from the Callaway Fusion L100 to the Taylormade L103 and thought it was worth it?

Is there any announcement of a new top driver as nothing new has arrived at higher levels (except new Rogues). If new top equipment is expected coming soon I’ll wait for it, as my driver performs good.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Fri, Nov 9 2018 6:25 AM

JohanTV:

I just tried the L103 driver for 2 hours. I don’t know If I should buy it. Anyone made the switch from the Callaway Fusion L100 to the Taylormade L103 and thought it was worth it?

Is there any announcement of a new top driver as nothing new has arrived at higher levels (except new Rogues). If new top equipment is expected coming soon I’ll wait for it, as my driver performs good.

Why do you do this to yourself ? Considering the ball that you are using it wont be that much of a benefit to you .It will give you a slightly slower meter but other than that nothing else . Although others may feel its worth buying , the final opinion is the only one that counts . Do you feel that its worth it ?

You know wgt never announces a new club is coming . They wont even tell us about a downtime until at the last minute . When the brand changes at the top levels then those clubs will change . But dont expect anything to change at L103 as it hasnt yet after the last 3 - 4 years .

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Fri, Nov 9 2018 6:37 AM
    Hi Lonny, I know you think all those drivers are pretty much the same and true I like to know what others think before buying. It’s just a bunch of credits and if all say there is no difference I will just sit and wait till WGT brings a 290+ driver.
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Nov 9 2018 6:57 AM

#JohanTV... I was in a similar position as you a month or two a ago... I was faced with a similar decision...  at the time, I sort of regretted buying the new driver L103.  I still hadn't started playing ready go's a lot yet so I wasn't sure if I could make it worth buying and still recover the cost of credits spent by possibly winning credits back eventually.  ie would it pay for itself (still hard to determine if necessary).

I did not notice a major change between the two drivers and depending on how you like to play your tee shots you won't see a major difference.  That said, if you plan to start playing in competitive WGT events and Ready Go's on a regular basis where possibly every little bit counts... then consider the upgrade. 

However, it still depends on how you play the ball and driver you have... sometimes a driver that lands 3 yards shorter is more likely to catch a downslope and kick forward into a wind rather than landing beyond the slope and stopping... so either driver can be played at a high level...imho

The question becomes more of credit bankroll and whether you can recoup the cost spent by playing more events like credit tournaments.  Otherwise, you will enjoy the game just as well as anyone else with either driver and you still see top players playing the L100 driver.  So it can come down to preference.  

I have also noticed one or two players that carry multiple drivers and switch out the driver based on the course they are playing.  For example in heavier winds you may find the L98 TM driver with a mid/hi flight cuts through the wind better than the top end High flight/trajectory driver...

ultimately, comes down to preference and credit bankroll... and how you foresee to play the game in the long run, which is something only you can decide.

RSS