Forums

Help › Forums

Help me understand my math please!

Thu, Dec 7 2017 11:50 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Rick44940
    8 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 6:23 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij87wi9i7d1ch1t/Photo%20Dec%2006%2C%2010%2053%2012%20AM.jpg?dl=0

I thought I could just upload a photo here but think I have to create a link to an outside source so hope this Dropbox link works.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 8:51 AM

Almost.

To actually post the pic here, it'll need resizing.

In dropbox, right click on the pic. Choose Copy Dropbox Link. 

Come back to forum and use the film icon in the tool bar to post the pic. 

Or if you don't want to resize, use the routine you did before, but use the link provided as above.

Dropbox has this annoying habit of changing your URL, thus rendering previous postings null unless fixed. 

Using your link I was able to get a preview look at your plight. A lot of things could've gone wrong, but foremost, you need to find out what distances your clubs really come up with consistently. What WGT rates them is a guesstimate. Ball, spin, VEM affect any individual shot. 

Good Luck.

:^)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 9:16 AM

This is what he was trying to post.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 9:24 AM

A long time ago our dear, departed friend Andyson and I believe it was Twominusone got into a lengthy back and forth on this very hole from this very spot. Two was pretty much saying the exact same thing and through the course of the thread it was determined that there's a distance issue in that area. 

I found it!!    Andyson at his best.  :-)

• ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 10:14 AM

If all lies are supposed to be flat when playing a non UL (uneven lies) game then yes, you are justified in questioning the distance you achieved. But I do not believe that all lies in a non UL game are programmed as flat. An extreme example I have experienced, is playing from a bank in front of a bunker at Oakmont. The shot went up and backwards over my head.

There maybe a cut off point, where an incline in the playing surface is no longer programmed as flat, and if that is the case in the OP's shot, then the incline in the playing surface added to the loft of the club will result in a reduced distance.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 10:15 AM

YankeeJim:

The only problem when playing is that you cant feel the wind to know when its blowing . Also take into consideration that bunker shots and water shots , are risk shots . Even when you have the clubs to reach the shot will bottom out when going over either one . Which is why you take them out of play as much as possible .

That pin is back right over the bunker and will usually come up short .Thats the way it plays .

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 11:50 AM

YankeeJim:

With starter clubs take 5yrds off that shot max ( for wind ) + add 5 yrds 4 elevation ( to be sure flying bunk )

I always found it easier from flatter, right hand side of FW with 'starters'

Generally better to club up too ( starters) and choke it a touch.

The good news is you couldn't have stopped it anyway,had you hit the green :D

Andy

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 11:57 AM

Heh, right in the middle of responding to Fatdan and the thread disappears. Poof! Resource not found.

LOL. Don't bother looking for whatever Fatdan said, it was after this.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 12:49 PM

ScottHope:
    I do not believe that all lies in a non UL game are programmed as flat. An extreme example I have experienced, is playing from a bank in front of a bunker at Oakmont. The shot went up and backwards over my head.

There maybe a cut off point, where an incline in the playing surface is no longer programmed as flat, and if that is the case in the OP's shot, then the incline in the playing surface added to the loft of the club will result in a reduced distance.

This!

The bunker is on the 9th of OAK, and the steep front to STA#14 (Par 5) does it, too.

That spot on BPB #9 is steep enough, too, for a higher, shorter shot!

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 1:58 PM

Taking off 10 yds for a 10-12 tailwind isn't right, at least in my experience. I usually subtract a third or a half, depending on how much back spin I'm going to use. As far as your tee shot goes, take the short cut left if you can. When it isn't possible I go as far right as I can, edge of the fairway, to stay out of that swale.

• PAGES
RSS