Forums

Help › Forums

Unfair advantage

Mon, Aug 9 2021 5:43 AM (31 replies)
  • stevey63
    1 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 4:15 PM

I am somewhat amused by the fact that players at or around my experience level (93)but at a lower tier level (specifically Master v Pro Tour) receive a huge advantage by virtue of tee placement and a wider margin of error. 

It would be much fairer if promotion to Master were based on a level reached (ie 80) rather than meeting specific criteria which can be easily manipulated that enables someone to remain at the lower tier. Let's face it, if you haven't worked out the game by L80, you probably never will.

l understand why lower tiers do get an advantage but unfortunately it has gone too far. Time to level the playing field and stop people from deliberately sandbagging.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 5:52 PM

So, if someone hasn't worked out the game by Lvl 80 and probably never will they should be promoted anyway?  Doesn't really make a lot of sense.

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 6:17 PM

stevey63:
    Let's face it, if you haven't worked out the game by L80, you probably never will.

Just out of curiosity, how do you define whether someone has "worked out the game"? 

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 8:00 PM

stevey63:

I am somewhat amused by the fact that players at or around my experience level (93)but at a lower tier level (specifically Master v Pro Tour) receive a huge advantage by virtue of tee placement and a wider margin of error. 

It would be much fairer if promotion to Master were based on a level reached (ie 80) rather than meeting specific criteria which can be easily manipulated that enables someone to remain at the lower tier. Let's face it, if you haven't worked out the game by L80, you probably never will.

l understand why lower tiers do get an advantage but unfortunately it has gone too far. Time to level the playing field and stop people from deliberately sandbagging.

Why does it matter?? If you were playing match play I might understand your complaint. But according to your stats you have never played a single match play game. So you just play stroke play and it doesn’t matter who wins because I doesn’t count as a win or a loss. Unless you are playing coin games on mobile. Then it is just for Worthless coins

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 8:45 PM

I hear wht you are saying, but tiers should be based on skill rather than level. That said, some high level, low tiered players sandbag.  

The biggest disadvantage you have is your clubs. Whilst your driver and 3W are OK, they are not top of the line yardage wise......now if you play someone at your level and they have top equipment and they are on lesser tees, they have a huge advantage.

You obviously play for fun and a challenge, so just set your own goals and savor the times you play well.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 10:31 PM

stevey63:

Says a L93 Master taking the benefit for himself...

BTW: I don't envy you, to each his own! You seem to enjoy the game as you get it, which is a good motivation!

OTOH, did you ever receive information on the extra criteria of tier promotion, like match play wins and credits wins? They are quite new, from 2012 methinks...

Search! =>

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 5:58 PM

A newby on vacation at a Golf & Tennis resort just got done showering after an afternoon on the tennis courts and exclaims, "Tomorrow I'm going to learn how to play Golfing!"

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 6:02 PM

Stevey: In a little over a year you have played 55 ranked rounds. You do not seem to play alternate shot or match play games, have entered 6 skill challenge tournaments, and you are worried about people playing from the shorter tees. Why is this a concern? 

There are two ideas come to my mind. One is that you got promoted to the master tier before you were ready. The second is that you want to take advantage of lesser players to win credits and now have to play them from a longer tee.

Both of these thoughts are most likely wrong, but when you complain about the fairness of issues that should be of no concern to you, others delve into your motivation. So again  I ask, why are you concerned?

• Berrima
    2 Posts
    Sat, Jul 17 2021 11:54 PM

Playing someone who out drives me by 100 yards and can stop the ball on a dime is totally contrary to the fundamental principles of golf, which uses a handicap system to allow fair play amongst players of all abilities.

RSS