Forums

Help › Forums

Top Irons : Callaway L97 or L100

Mon, Feb 15 2021 1:46 PM (73 replies)
  • JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sun, Oct 29 2017 6:45 AM

I am now a few days away from Level 97 and have the ability to buy the L97 irons. At level 100 the highest level irons are also waiting for me ;-)

Has anybody played both the Callaway Steelhead XR L97 and the Callaway Apex L100? Are the Apex worth waiting another 3 months?

thanks

Johan

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Sun, Oct 29 2017 10:06 AM
    Played them when they were the Nike irons . I have have though played the L100+Apex irons during free rental periods . Been thinking about buying them just for some new eye candy . To me they play as well as the old L100+ Nike irons not much difference slightly slower meter . Im waiting now for the next update which should be this coming week . Got a feeling some new clubs may be coming so just waiting to see . If not I`ll probably go ahead and pull the trigger and buy them and retire my Nike irons for good . If you are willing to wait then they are worth it but you cant go wrong with either set ..
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, Oct 29 2017 10:26 AM

I have played both Cally irons, and the 97 and 100 Nikes....

The Cally lvl 97 irons were good, but not consistent for me, and for some reason they roll out a few more feet than the Nike Vapors and Cally lvl 100 irons...I personally didn't like them as well as the lvl 100's, others I know love them due to the slow meter I guess...I loved the lvl 97 Nikes

I bought the lvl 100 Cally irons even though I already had the lvl 100 Nike Vapors for 1 reason, the 120yd club is more consistent with distances than the vapors, and not by much!

HOWEVER, it is a looong looooong way from lvl 97 to 100, I would buy both if you can, I know free credit offers differ from here in other countries....

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Oct 29 2017 10:34 AM
    Looking at the balls you tend to use I would say the L97 irons all day.........As said L97 to L100 is a LONG haul anyway. .........................New things may come out as also mentioned. Personally, I would wait for the next downtime (soon) and then make a move.
  • jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Oct 29 2017 10:54 AM
    Jimbog1964:
    New things may come out as also mentioned.
    Anything that does come out (with the exception of balls) will only benefit the lower level/tiered players. If anything ever comes along for 97 and up, it'll just be a remake/replace of something already available and will be different in appearances only (eye candy, as Lonnie put it). Maybe the next product update will offer the option to buy the Premium Package in bulk? PS...best irons ever were the level 90 R11's (I think that's what they were). Very fast, but so accurate. And, you could backspin a starter ball with a 3 iron from 240 yards out with a 30 mph tailwind on Champ greens!!
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, Oct 29 2017 11:54 AM

jayw4862:

PS...best irons ever were the level 90 R11's (I think that's what they were). Very fast, but so accurate. And, you could backspin a starter ball with a 3 iron from 240 yards out with a 30 mph tailwind on Champ greens!!<div style="clear:both;"></div>

LOL, those were awesome irons with the exception of that d@mn meter...I could handle the faster lvl 97 Nikes meter with ease after playing with those irons LOL

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Mon, Oct 30 2017 12:42 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your input.

I assume the Nikes you are mentioning as L97 and L100 are the ones I see as L92 and L95 with other users? Probably since Nike exited and lowered their levels?

Anyway, I levelled up yesterdayevening and had a free two hour try with the L97 Callaway Steelhead XR irons.

The meter speed was pretty nice certainly with regular balls or the cheap GI2-S I sometimes use. The precision however was a little disappointing as my L75 speedblades are also very precise and I expected even more precision. Also the back spin was not noticable better than my speedblades. I tried the L90 RSI2 irons before and they had much more spinning power. Also with backspin the L97 seemed a little short but this is probably getting used to. At this moment I am not sure if these irons are (except for the slower meter speed) that much of an improvement.

Obviously I have to get used to new irons and I will wait for a free rental weekend (when?) and try them out further. Otherwise it’s waiting for L100. I know it’s some months to go If I can keep up playing as frequent as I do, but I can’t/won’t afford both sets (free surveys dont pay that much over here and its mostly watching adds for 2cr).

It’s my first year at WGT and I am very curious what you guys mean with next update / downtime and how you guys know it’s coming soon (is it the News message Upcoming Product Releases - Updated 10/17/17? or is there some kinds of standard schedule.) 

Thanks again for all your answers.

Johan

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Oct 31 2017 3:58 AM
    Nothing new for the higher levels, still have that long hard grind from 97 and up!
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Oct 31 2017 6:48 AM
    Memory of the L79 Bladez (same as your 75s I think) were great set, just very unforgiving if miss the wrong side at all. Good precise set though, but the 3 iron lacked real Legend distance.............Most then replaced with the old R11 set at L90..........................................................The L97s I would think have even (slightly) higher trajectory. Combine that with more spin (noticeably immediately a good chunk shorter if use lots of spin) they will need mapping .......................Higher you go the best it is to stick to one club ball combo (at least until really know that combo)................Overall I would take the meter, and they do work fine. The Bladez were a real good precise set though when dinged or just missed (correct side).
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Oct 31 2017 7:46 AM
    Is there a reason, that makes sense, as to why there isn't any upgrades on equipment from level 97 to 100? This scenario reminds me of alot of other big companies, where the give all new customers all the the better things at a great price offer. The valued long time customer doesn't receive any benefits, they figure that we are hooked and will stay no matter what?
RSS