Forums

Help › Forums

leaving a game before its over

Fri, Oct 22 2021 1:44 PM (8 replies)
  • atlasalan
    1 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 5:50 AM

why dont wgt come up with something to stop people starting a game then leaving when they or there partner play a bad shot 3 alt games played this morning not one completed i no its not everyones fault at times but on the whole it normally is just players who think they should win every game take off them rating or something to make them think that if they just leave its gonna cost them overall though a decent game

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 8:28 AM

There really isn't a great way to handle this.  WGT survives by as much play as possible and locking people from playing isn't good business.

Once you achieve the top level your average doesn't mean much so you don't see much quitting from the Legend group.  I see most of it from the pro and master level who are trying to get their average as low as possible so they can move upward, in reality they should post every score so they would be in the proper tier.  

I generally play 3 to 4 stroke play games with lower tier players each week, just because they enjoy seeing a Legend show up and it is always interesting to me to see who the newer players on the site play.  After my 9 hole round with four pros last night, I might have to rethink that.

We started, front nine at BPB, with myself and 3 pros averages from 71 to 79.   The first hole took about 20 minutes to play as they hacked around the rough and got on the tournament speed greens.  One player dropped out on the 6th hole, standing 8 over for the round.  The second player dropped out on the 8th hole, standing at 13 over for the round.  The final player managed a par on the 9th hole to come in at 16 over par.  The round took over 1.5 hours to complete.  Hopefully players like these will post all their scores and not just run to St Andrews and only post the 32 that they shoot under easy conditions.

The original point of quitting in alt shot, there is no excuse, you ruin a game for 3 other people.  At least in the stroke play round I could finish with someone or alone.  My thought on penalizing people who quit was by taking away points used to level up, I know some people get disconnected but it is what it is and taking away 5,000 points for leaving is incentive not to do it and the few times you get disconnected and can't get back, then that is just like a meter freeze, it happens. 

• EdwardRo
    191 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 12:37 PM

i was just in a stroke play round on the 9th hole at kiawah with another player and i was booted for log in message, been having to reset my setting's a couple times now, not sure if other players are as well,

• RickBarenes
    215 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 1:01 PM

TarheelsRule:

There really isn't a great way to handle this.  WGT survives by as much play as possible and locking people from playing isn't good business.

Once you achieve the top level your average doesn't mean much so you don't see much quitting from the Legend group.  I see most of it from the pro and master level who are trying to get their average as low as possible so they can move upward, in reality they should post every score so they would be in the proper tier.  

I generally play 3 to 4 stroke play games with lower tier players each week, just because they enjoy seeing a Legend show up and it is always interesting to me to see who the newer players on the site play.  After my 9 hole round with four pros last night, I might have to rethink that.

We started, front nine at BPB, with myself and 3 pros averages from 71 to 79.   The first hole took about 20 minutes to play as they hacked around the rough and got on the tournament speed greens.  One player dropped out on the 6th hole, standing 8 over for the round.  The second player dropped out on the 8th hole, standing at 13 over for the round.  The final player managed a par on the 9th hole to come in at 16 over par.  The round took over 1.5 hours to complete.  Hopefully players like these will post all their scores and not just run to St Andrews and only post the 32 that they shoot under easy conditions.

The original point of quitting in alt shot, there is no excuse, you ruin a game for 3 other people.  At least in the stroke play round I could finish with someone or alone.  My thought on penalizing people who quit was by taking away points used to level up, I know some people get disconnected but it is what it is and taking away 5,000 points for leaving is incentive not to do it and the few times you get disconnected and can't get back, then that is just like a meter freeze, it happens. 

Im always up for a challenge Tarheels

• shanethacker
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 7:50 PM

Perhaps a reputation type of grading would be interesting also.

Say example, you start with 10 the maximum rating.

If you quite a game that you are playing with other players, or disconnect or wait for the timer to elapse a few times etc etc, then you loose a point.

By finishing games the points can be redeemed.

This way when we start a game and someone joins with a rep of 6, we know there is a 40% chance this guy isnt going to finish the round.

I am sure there is a way to better perfect this system that just came off the top of my head, its only an idea.

Cheers !

• TheFigster
    47 Posts
    Sun, Jun 5 2011 3:41 AM

They already have a "Reputation" field in the selection when you are setting up to play.. It's just faded out.. not in use yet. So I keep wondering when they will start to use it.

Even if you are disconnected, you can go in and finish the game, so really there is no excuse for not finishing at some point in time. So yeah if you don't complete a round.. then it should affect your "reputation score" this way when you are setting up.. you can select the normal stuff like course, practice, rated, player level.. and reputation.  Sooner or later, when they can't find a game.. they will stop quitting.. or quit WGT all together.

• oldcollectorcoin
    46 Posts
    Sun, Jun 5 2011 4:04 PM

6-5-11

looking forward to a few evening matches and every game, every other player but myself has left after a couple bad shots.

just sad how fragile people are these days.

i've stuck it out when i hit shot maximum several times

what a waste of time

thanks for letting me rant

• oldcollectorcoin
    46 Posts
    Sun, Jun 5 2011 7:40 PM

Good suggestion figster.

A reputation score would be great. I'd rate everyone that finished a game, yes even if they kicked my butt ;-) I actually don't play to beat anyone, I just enjoy playing with someone else as it is much more entertaining and enjoyable. most of the best laughs i've had is when the other player messes up really bad and/or I do and we all joke about it, never when I win by 8 strokes or lose by 8 strokes.

I've personally only been dropped from a few games due to some server/software malfunction, not on my end. 

Don't clear your cookies during gameplay as that will boot you immediately. Sometimes I clear crap from my PC if the game gets a bit jumpy. Not anymore lol.

My pc has 8gb ram, 1gb video with 20-30mbps down and 3-5mbps up broadband and pc is a new dell so I figure if I get dropped it probably isn't my hardware. Also good not to multi-task because I've noticed that will cause adobe flash to crash and that will boot you instantly as well. WGT flash player is very sensitive.

wow that kinda took off

WGT, if you get a rating system up and running, i'll forgive you for the psychotic meter ;-)

• DonCarson
    1 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2021 1:44 PM

I agree Leaving a game without a reason is rude and bad manners, However if a game is drawn and the other player makes a statement after the first 3 holes that the opponent is wasting his or her time. Because the opponent is not good enough, that is really bad manners.. There's always someone better that you . I haven't played  on WGT for about 2 years .. So I joined a game to find there have been changes made to the game. So I am rusty... If you cant take the bad players then you certainly won't take the good players. That is so sad. I will not play with people who cant take the rough with the smooth. I DO. 

RSS