Help › Forums

Layups at the Long Hole on the Old Course

Sat, Aug 26 2017 9:00 PM (24 replies)
  • garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Sat, Aug 19 2017 1:25 PM

YankeeJim:

phred952:
     Bottom line is the OP needs to figure out a shot that works and stays in play.

LOL. Been playing that course for years and still get nervous about having to hit over there.  :-D

Yep, the only sure way is to make sure you hug the right side of that fairway.

• DanielKWPerrine
    1,653 Posts
    Sat, Aug 19 2017 4:19 PM

Thank you for all the replies.  I have found like several players mentioned that there is a safe landing area in the far right hand area of the 5th fairway if you are playing the 14th hole.  I will just be more careful.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 19 2017 4:37 PM

DanielKWPerrine:
    is a safe landing area in the far right hand area of the 5th fairway

A large part of the rough to the right of the trap is only 20-25  short of the fairway and plays fairly well.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 5:48 AM

And with better clubs the ball plays out of that bunker pretty well also. 

• Rabbit274
    1,178 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 6:23 AM

It surely shouldn't be too difficult for the graphics people to draw a white line along the OOB boundary on that particular picture

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 7:30 AM

Rabbit274:

It surely shouldn't be too difficult for the graphics people to draw a white line along the OOB boundary on that particular picture

The sales people would object. :-D

• nanstar
    4,914 Posts
    Tue, Aug 22 2017 4:11 AM

It's a fine line lol

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Aug 22 2017 6:00 PM

Oakmont 4 was a tighter shot. but from back tees it cut down the distance to reachable in 2 with the right winds.

oh have to stay within the confines of the minimap when ball isn't in the air.

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 6:40 AM

DanielKWPerrine:

I have sent a couple of emails to WGT and not hear anything back.  Maybe some of the more experienced players of the game can answer my question or get some feed back on a problem with playing the Old Course at St. Andrews.

Hole 14, the Long Hole as it is called, at St. Andrews plays as the name implies long especially into a head wind.  I have at times tried to layup with my second shot on the 5th fairway so as to avoid Hell Bunker which is in line for the normal layup towards the 14th green.  On several occasions I have hit what appear to be good shots into the middle of the 5th fairway only to have the game rule I hit the ball Out-of-Bounds.

This is not correct.  I have even checked the true St. Andrews rules and it is perfectly legal to hit a shot onto the 5th fairway from the 14th fairway.  The distance is slightly longer, but you take that nasty bunker out of play.

Is there any way WGT could correct this error and make it legal for shots to be hit safely into the 5th fairway when playing the Long Hole at the Old Course?  Thank you for any input to this question.

DanielKWPerrine

You could on Tiger Woods Online from EA Sports.  And sure the trolls will shoot that down since they don't know.  Could be away for WGT toget people to buy more balls.  JMHO.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 2:01 PM

mathia14:

You could on Tiger Woods Online from EA Sports.  And sure the trolls will shoot that down since they don't know.  Could be away for WGT toget people to buy more balls.  JMHO.

3 points.

1.  You are right that some of us wouldn't know about Tiger Woods game.   I never played it, so that would include me. 

2.  This is WGT, not Tiger Woods Online.  Designed differently, so point is moot.

3.  I don't recall seeing any remarks by trolls aimed at the OP.  Point was made that as most of us know, WGT would never go back and change something like he requested,.  He needs to learn a shot that will stay in bounds that he is still comfortable making.

RSS