Help › Forums

Meter Speed different on different computers

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 16 2009 7:45 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 7:19 AM

Alright, I have been playing this game for some time now.  To be exact been on the site over two years.  I have one home computer but I have played these games on probably twenty computers.  I recently played on dad's brand new computer with i7 processor and 12gb ram...that computer is a stud.  I noticed that from my ancient computer the meter speed was definitely faster.  I started to think for the first time that my operating system being ancient 2003 HP that has a hard time standing up might actually slow down the meter.  (My comp specs 1.75 gb ram P4 windows xp, and everything else is slow.)

I am no computer geek but I know that a faster operating system speeds up all computer functions.  Know to go backwards but a slower operating system would slow down all computer functions.  This is a bit of ramble but while playing on his system I was in shock of the smoothness but more so how quick the meter went.  Is it possible that having the slower system slows down the meter and can cause the jumpy meter or am I just dreaming.

Alex I am just looking at the variables out there.  Is this thought valid or does the flash player work separately from the operating system.

Additionally I also play on 23 inch screen and play full screen so the game is huge.  I like it that way.  Makes me feel like I am really playing for real.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 8:13 AM

The meter speed being different on different hardware is a fundamental flaw in the game, IMO.

The meter speed should be the same on different hardware platforms, and if a person's PC does not meet the game's minimum requirements, then the game shouldn't run at all on that hardware.

We're talking about a swing meter here.   And a simplistic one, at that (straight, 2 click).   It's not like the swing meter is graphically intensive and is a new concept in golf games.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 9:51 AM

Marioh:
    The meter speed being different on different hardware

Is this a confirmed fact, though? I thought Thunderbird was only saying it looked to him like that was the case, but wasn't sure.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 9:58 AM

thunderbird:

I noticed that from my ancient computer the meter speed was definitely faster.  I started to think for the first time that my operating system being ancient 2003 HP that has a hard time standing up might actually slow down the meter.  (My comp specs 1.75 gb ram P4 windows xp, and everything else is slow.)

FYI

Now, I can't really test it to verify it for a fact at this point in time (since work PC's are the same generation hardware as my home PC), but I will say that I have noticed that the swing meter has gotten slower/more inconsistent with every new major release of this game.   The swing meter is nowhere near as fast as it was with the pro clubs in the charity challenge days, though admittedly I don't know if the pro clubs swing meter speed is supposed to be equivalent to the faster swing meter speeds of some of the clubs available for purchase.

It could very well be that with the addition of all the new clubs (and their effects on the flight of the ball) that the requirements of this game are increasing .   And if that is the case, then the minimum requirements should be addressed to reflect that (along with a corresponding post/email to alert all players of that).   But in the end, all that number crunching is (or should be) done after the accuracy click, and ideally, should have little to no bearing on the swing meter itself.

• dacsyr1
    26 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 10:37 AM

Hey buddy long time no play!! That is why I quit playing all the time. I got a super high speed gaming laptop which seemed to make the shot meeter too fast! I have just started to play again at my new job and it is an old slow system and yes there is more skipping on the shot meeter but at least I have a chance to hit it streight. With my gaming laptop it is very smooth but so fast I have to close my eyes and just hope I click close to the center line!

DAC

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 10:45 AM

hi dacs, i took a little break from the game, but i'm back now, though i'm not playing as much now.   if you see me on-line, shoot me an invite (sorry about the other day, i had just started up a match).

hang in there.   funny thing is, i actually prefer a faster swing meter.   i get too impatient when it's too slow and become easily distracted, resulting in many a shanked shot, lol.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 11:29 AM

thunderbird wrote: Additionally I also play on 23 inch screen and play full screen so the game is huge.  I like it that way.  Makes me feel like I am really playing for real.

I didn't know that the game could be played full-screen. Is this possible with my just-updated version of the flash player, or is it system dependent? I have noticed a "zoom" function (before updating) on right-clicking the flash window, but no "full screen" buttons.

This would be really cool on my widescreen monitor!

Thanks for any info...

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 11:38 AM

PugsAce, you simply need to put the browser window into full-screen in which you're running the game. Do this as soon as you launch the game window. The keyboard shortcut is usually F11. (It is here in Google Chrome.)

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 11:52 AM

Doh! Didn't think that worked in flash windows for some reason... thank you... I'll try it next round!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 1:46 PM

PugsAce:
    Doh! Didn't think that worked in flash windows for some reason... 

It didn't, to start with! It's one of the new features introduced in that fantastic August product update a month ago.

There are some detriments to playing the game in full-screen, though: the photographs are no longer as sharp (which is really too bad; they are merely blown up); there are light-coloured borders on wide-screen monitors (WGT said they are working on a fix); and to get back to the subject of this thread: the meter may stutter more than usual, because running the game in full-screen is more demanding on the computer processor.

• PAGES
RSS