Forums

Help › Forums

Tiger, isn't this getting out of hand?

Sat, Feb 13 2010 5:38 PM (130 replies)
  • donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:55 AM

Having read through this thread and feeling compelled to comment , i offer the following notes for consideration ...

Firstly, it is obvious that both snaike and lee are right about Wood's noteriety ... he strove hard to position himself into a notable figure above and beyond the game with his endeavors, but it is also a self-evident truth that the entertainment and news media absolutely thrive on sensationalism and they spare no quarter in searching for and even "creating" the next big story , be it man or mouse , and they will ride that horse till death to provide ratings and generate revenue for their shareholders ... so you are both right. It's not always a case of either/or , oftentimes it can be the case of both/and ...

Tiger is a great golfer ... it remains to be seen if that greatness in skill will be matched by a greatness of integrity and character ... for at the end of the day , that is the real measure of the person ... the first is god-given talent and hard work , the latter is an exercise in self-restraint ...

nuff said ...

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 11:12 AM

I agree Snaike. It seems when a person of Eldrick's stature kicks-up a storm size dust cloud like he did, it takes some time for that person to see error of their ways making their comeback a little more difficult, but a comeback for Eldrick to the PGA arena will come indeed nonetheless.

Were looking for Big Mac to make a return to a Cardinal uniform once again.

Go Cards!

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 12:01 PM

There ya go Richard

Happy Golfin'

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 12:33 PM

Great mashup there CM2... one has wonder, though, on the placement of the Arizona Cardinal (American) Football helmet and uniform. 

(pssst.... Mac is going to the St. Louis Cardinal Baseball team as a hitting coach.) =^)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 12:50 PM

LMAO!. Crazy indeed.

Your the best CM2

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 12:53 PM

LOL  I was gonna put Phil MACkleson there instead   or even the Pope  as Cardinals were mentioned!

I really must pay more attention to American sport  lol

• uoducks63
    53 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 4:08 PM

The thing everyone seems to missing on this topic, is the fact that people cheat on their spouse every day around the world.  Why should we be so consumed with the fact that Tiger did it.  He is just another person like any of us, he just happens to be th best at his job.  If billybob cheats on his wife, should we care because he is the best at his job at the auto parts store.  This country has developed way to big of a love affair with celebrities and sports stars.  I am a huge sports nut, and love watching them do what they do on the field, court, course or whatever it may be.  but why should we care what they do away from their job, i would never want a superstars life.  They cant do anything that we all do with out being mobbed by fans and media.  It would get really old not being able to even go to the corner store, yes they should appreciate the fans that pay their salaries, but when do you get to be just a normal person.

As for the fact that Tiger doesn't carry himself in the same manner as the greats before him. How do we honestly know that?  The huge difference is that we are now in the ESPN era,  and the cell phone and camera phone era.  It is so much easier for information to find its way to the T.V. then it used to be. We should all spend more time worrying about our own lives, then about some guys we dont even know....  Why do we treat sports figures as role models?  how about telling our kids to look up to firefighters, paramedics, our members of the military..  Atleast those people do something to benifit us all in our day to day lives.....

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2010 4:31 PM

Well said, and I could not agree more. I could give a rats a** about celebrities... sud o and otherwise. I enjoy movies and sports but could care less what they do in there off time.

Happy hitting 

• TEESHOT4
    17 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 9:48 AM
    Tiger isn't the first nor will he be the last to get himself into a pickle. There have been lots of celebes that have gone astray, no matter what sport. Mickey Mantel, Joe Dimagio, the babe.\, basketball players,etc, and lets not forget our politicians( the worse of them all as they are elected officials) What he does in private and on the course are two entirely different venues. He may not be perfect, but then again are ANY of us?????
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:20 PM

TEESHOT4:
    What he does in private and on the course are two entirely different venues.

While I will tend to agree with you, you need to read the first few pages of this thread BEFORE the epic Tiger flameout of Thanksgiving 2009.  The OP was talking about ON-COURSE tantrums, which turned into ON-COURSE speculation of PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs)... 

If you look, it was late page 10 before the current OFF THE COURSE stuff was even brought up.

I'm just sayin'.....

RSS