Forums

Help › Forums

Tiger, isn't this getting out of hand?

Sat, Feb 13 2010 5:38 PM (130 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 9:53 AM

Crazyman2:
    I'm not sure  but I think it was a steam iron !

I'm not sure, mate, but she will never need a steam iron again...

She's gonna take him to the CLEANERS!!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:31 AM

According to my incredibly wise Father, anyone who believes that Arnie, Jack, Super Mex, etc. didn't "fiddle n diddle" back in their time is extremely naive. The connection between Tiger's peccadillos and his golf swing is lost on me. Aside from watching him play golf, everything else about him is uninteresting and none of my business.

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 11:00 AM

Snaike:
    She's gonna take him to the CLEANERS

If thats the case Snaike, he better think about LAUNDERING some money aside, before she hangs him out with the WASHING!!

Happy Golfin'

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 12:14 PM

Unfortunately SP, the only difference between Tiger and the others you mentioned, is Tiger got caught (and I don't mean by his wife).... But that's today's media for you...the only reason it's our business is because they force it in our faces... =(

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:20 PM

Well, this doesn't occur often but I am going to have to disagree with you, ALee.

Eldrick has positioned himself, via multi-million dollar endorsements, multi-milion dollar appearance fees, an almost manic demand for privacy, and an almost psychotic drive to keep the "Team Woods" facade there in front of all of us in today's media.

This monster is his creation (pre-thanksgiving day debacle).  Everything he did in the media, on the golf course, in public, with his foundations, groups, charities, etc etc etc etc was EXTREMELY choreographed and manipulated by Eldrick and is handlers.  He couldn't even go to the local market to get formula for the tiger-spawn without a press release.

And this was done by design.  This was the reason he ~could~ command the multi-million dollar endorsements and multi-million dollar appearance fees..  (hell, he made $3 million just for showing up in Australia!)...

In other words, Eldrick Tont Woods created "Tiger" and everything that goes with that name.  His skill on the golf course would have taken him far, but not this far, had he been a 'regular Joe".

I don't remember Jack, Arnie, Lee, Chi-Chi, et al, being more than Great/Good Golfers.  They didn't set themselves higher than the sport they played in. And as good as they were, they were still "one-of-the-guys"; a regular joe you could approach on the course for an autograph, etc etc...

Did they fool around? Maybe, maybe not.  We can guess and speculate but we don't know.  They had money, they were famous, they travelled... sure, it's very likely that they did...  but, we didn't/don't care. 

the only reason it's our business is because they force it in our faces
      And no.. the only reason it's in our faces is because Eldrick made it our business.

If Eldrick had acted more like Arnie, Jack, Ben, Chi-Chi, Lee, Gary, Tom, etc etc, and had just been one of the regular guys on tour that happened to be a damn good golfer, this story would have ended the day after Thanksgiving.

Eldrick has no one else to blame, and neither do we.

Peace.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:55 PM

Snaike:
    I don't remember Jack, Arnie, Lee, Chi-Chi, et al, being more than Great/Good Golfers.  They didn't set themselves higher than the sport they played in. And as good as they were, they were still "one-of-the-guys"; a regular joe you could approach on the course for an autograph

Great essay Snaike.

Do you believe a person in the lime light such as Eldrick can get bigger than life itself, to the capacity of implosion? It seems that a person of his caliber can only become so much in life until it all comes tumbling down one day. Think about all the people throughout history who have been reduced in a similar manner. I believe Tiger will be alright from a monetary standpoint, but do you believe Tiger will make a come back in the PGA one day, or is his career and image to tainted for a return to the spotlight?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 4:04 PM

Actually, Snaike, and you know I admire you, on this you and I have a parting of the ways. You don't know what you are talking about. I go along with what Lee has stated by 99%. The 1%  is in the "only difference between" comment. The other difference is that no one, ever, has been as good as Eldrick. Ever. 

• rustan
    66 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:04 PM

you might remember a big bloke called ali  aka cass clay was know for belting the crap out of other fighters.

Anyway was a very popular guy with every one and still is, he had a very in your face peice of skirt in tow when he fought overseas and who cared   No one,it happens when your No1 Girls just want a piece. Hell when he was out here with a spare 3 mil he can buy a lot of skirt

Even thought of sending the missus ,but he does have standards

And you might remember your past pres Billy blow job, old news i know but it blew over( pardon the pun)

Tiger was a dollar machine yesterday and he will be tomorrow

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:05 AM

There is a reason why they make Chocolate AND Vanilla, SP, because agreeing with everyone else would make this world boring and predictable.  Please, feel free to disagree with me, and believe me I won't take it personally.  =)

I will point out, as I have somewhere around page 5 of this thread, that calling Eldrick the Greatest of All Time (GOAT) is both dishonest and intolerant.  I won't go over all of the arguments listed prior as that would be redundant... but I will say this:

Eldrick Tont Woods is the best golfer of this generation.  Period.

Now, back to the sub-topic and hand.  If any other golfer of today's Pro-rank were to have the issues that Eldrick has had over the last eight weeks or so, it wouldn't be a story (with the exception of Mickleson, as his wife has recently dominated the Golf Channel headlines).  No one would care.  John Daly can lose 4 wives, millions of dollars in a day after a bad round, and all the self-respect he could ever muster, but what everyone wants to talk about is his recently slimming  (Grats on THAT Big John).

Why?  Because they are "regular guys".  They are not bigger than their sport and they do not set themselves up as such. 

I watched the last generation of golfers in my formative years and came away with the conclusion that they, too, were 'regular guys' that just happened to play golf.  Good golf.  In some cased great golf.  But none were bigger than golf itself.

And that is where Eldrick finds himself.  On a mountain he built, teetering over a cliff he created, and about to land in a large pile of dung.

(channelling Walter Cronkite) .. And that's the way it is.  =)

PS....   IMHO, Eldrick will never be as good as Jack William Nicklaus until he competes n 100 Majors and can finish either first or second more than 36 times, in the top three more than 45 times, etc etc.  Remember kids, Jack had some folks playing next to him that won their fair share of Majors, too.    Some guys named Arnold Daniel Palmer (7 Majors) and Gary "The Black Knight" Player (9 Majors).  Eldrick has a chance, but it's a slim one.... and unless and until he gets back on the course, he won't make it.

Ciao!

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:15 AM

Wow, in my zeal I almost missed your post, Richard.. mea culpa!

Richard4168:
    Do you believe a person in the lime light such as Eldrick can get bigger than life itself, to the capacity of implosion?

Absolutely.  When you create something you can't control, you will suffer in the end.  Eldrick has positioned himself bigger than his sport, beyond just "icon" status, and now it's all coming down around his ears and everyone gets to watch him implode.  Having said that...

Richard4168:
    but do you believe Tiger will make a come back in the PGA one day, or is his career and image to tainted for a return to the spotlight?

I can almost guarantee that he'll be back on tour and winning.  Because, my friend, after all is said and done, he's still a golfer and a damn good one at that.  When the madness around him settles down to an acceptable level you will see him, as we all have in the past, wearing his blood red shirt and making a charge on Sunday.

His 'icon' status may be tainted, but his golfing career will survive. 

Just ask Mark Maguire how that works.

Peace.

RSS