Forums

Help › Forums

Adobe Flash Death, any plans for the future WGT?

Wed, Dec 30 2020 11:46 AM (73 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Wed, Aug 14 2019 7:43 AM

Cheers Don.

We mustn't forget that we still have a choice about installing updates from Microsoft. They're not compulsory (yet!).  : ) 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 14 2019 7:55 AM

ScottHope:
    But it still means that I will have to have a browser that runs flash installed on my system, and also that WGT will have the flash version of the game available to play.

I use Chrome for the mundane stuff and have to allow Flash every time I use it, like everybody else. What's very different for me is that the browser I use for the game-Comodo Dragon, v. 29.1-hasn't changed a bit. No Flash messages or activation needed, just like always.

I use an older version of CD and an even older version of Flash (18.0.0.232) with it and it can't update because I said not to. I have no idea what to expect when the stuff hits the fan but until then what I have is working.  :-)

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Thu, Aug 15 2019 12:03 PM

TopShelf2010:

ScottHope:

I had an email from Microsoft at the end of July this year, notifying me that support for Windows 7 will end on the 14th January 2020.

Luckily for me, that's before the flash removal deadline at the end of 2020.

The email states that unsupported versions of Windows do not receive security or software updates and to me that says I won't be getting any update that will remove flash.

But it still means that I will have to have a browser that runs flash installed on my system, and also that WGT will have the flash version of the game available to play.

Thanks Scott. That is how I interpreted it as well. I was going to send you a PM asking, but I thought this information might be useful to the Community.

Don

Scott,

I have and older HP laptop that came with windows 7  BUT.....It was upgraded to windows 10 just before I bought it used....Should I look to reinstall 7 seeing your comments about the flash situation???

Thanks for any help....JD

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Thu, Aug 15 2019 1:37 PM

JD, if your laptop came with an installation DVD or a recovery partition on the hard drive with Windows 7 on it, then yes, if you wanted to go back, I think that would be successful.

But the thing that bothers me at the moment, is WGT's reticence. It's difficult for us to make any kind of plan for the future when we don't know what WGT's plans are.

We could all gear ourselves up with outdated operating systems and old browsers ready to continue playing after December 2020, only to be completely floored by WGT discontinuing the flash version of the game.

So I think it best at the moment just to sit tight, and hopefully WGT will come out with a statement laying out their plans for the future of the flash version of the game. I'm also crossing my fingers that it won't be, "WGT will outlive flash", again! 

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Thu, Aug 15 2019 1:50 PM

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Thu, Aug 15 2019 1:58 PM

TopShelf2010:
    I would assume that come late December / early January an official announcement will be made. But that is purely speculation.
    Do you mean December 2020? I would hope that we get something a little earlier than that Don. But anything at all would be nice.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Thu, Aug 15 2019 4:22 PM

BogeyOne:
    Pale Moon plays this game as smooth as silk

That's good to know, although I would add the caveat that it plays smooth as silk for you, but other people's results may vary. I tried it for a while but I had meter problems so I gave it up.

In my opinion there are no browsers that will work well for everyone, because everyone has a different set up on their machine and that seems to be what makes the biggest difference to game play. There are innumerable browsers and innumerable PC (or Apple) setups, and unfortunately I feel that it is just a case for each person to experiment and find out which browser works best for them, on their machine.

For the last year or so I have been using SRWare Iron for example, which is Chromium-based. For me the meter is almost always smooth and I am not having any issues with flash needing to be allowed either. Before that I was using Opera and liked it a lot, but that was one of the earlier casualties of the flash abandonment for me and I haven't been able to use it for game play ever since then.

But I have always had trouble with browsers from the Firefox family, and heaven knows I've tried a bunch of 'em. Lots of people recommend them because they work well for them, but they don't for me.

I have also found all versions of Microsoft browsers (IE, Edge) have been useless for WGT on any computer I've owned, but again I see them recommended from time to time by others around here.

Trial and error (plus some basic common sense computer maintenance when playing) seems to be the way.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Thu, Aug 15 2019 4:40 PM

• Ecco2
    28 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2020 6:41 AM

Jim, I just got this off google regarding the Adobe Flash shutdown after December 2020 as of today 7/15/2020.. Looks like we may have to look for alternative flash programs perhaps like Bluemaximas's FLASHPOINT? 

"With Flash shutting down in 2020, you won't have many options for playing old Flash files once big browsers like Chrome and Firefox stop supporting it. One option, especially for gamers, is to download and use the BlueMaxima's Flashpoint software. This project is a Flash player and web archive project rolled into one."

Here is a download link off the Maxima site for those who wish to experiment a bit.  https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/downloads/

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2020 7:42 AM

I researched  bluemaxima and that option and from what I gather Unfortunately it wont work with WGT as  the "Flash" version here in WGT it stand alone? And what bluemaxima is offering is a way to play and store a flash game to your hard drive(No internet needed to play) You need to be able to access WGT  through a browser? But I will leave it to maybe Scott to explain better...Maybe and hopefully I am wrong....

JD

RSS