Forums

Help › Forums

Adobe Flash Death, any plans for the future WGT?

Wed, Dec 30 2020 11:46 AM (73 replies)
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Mar 2 2017 10:07 AM

Just to help keep this thread on track, the OP (sluny) isn't your typical doomsday thread poster, he is in fact the creator of the VGG Caddy program a lot of us use here...

http://vgg.4fan.cz/download/viewcategory/4-vgg-caddy-pro

with that in mind I'm sure he is aware of things going on in the tech world most of aren't, not just posting something he heard from a guy at the bar, keeping up with technology is part of his job/world...LOL

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Thu, Mar 2 2017 10:45 AM

sluny:

I am not sure, it this is the right forum, but I must ask this somewhere.

The support of the Adobe Flash in ALL browsers is slowly going to its end, so the simple question on the WGT STAFF is:

"What will you do after the death of Adobe Flash in desktop browsers?"

Do you have any future plans for WGT on the desktop? Are you allready preparing for this, this means, are you working on the new version of WGT working without Adobe flash (HTML5)? Of will you simply kill the desktop version of WGT and move to the mobile platform entirely?

Thanks in advance for your reply...

Sluny

As long as companies like WGT are using flash and there are 100's if not thousands that are using flash Adobe will continue to make and update flash. And as long as Adobe make and updates flash browsers will support flash.

Many base that flash is dying on You-tube going away from flash. Well that was Google who wants flash dead because they couldn't control it. They are trying to kill Java for the same reason.

Almost all the mods at one time or another have said that WGT has no intention at this time to move away from flash because flash is going to be around for a long time.

And as any one knows it is possible to get older versions of browsers that still support both NPPAI and PPAPI flash.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 2 2017 11:09 AM

fatdan:

Just to help keep this thread on track, the OP (sluny) isn't your typical doomsday thread poster, he is in fact the creator of the VGG Caddy program a lot of us use here...

http://vgg.4fan.cz/download/viewcategory/4-vgg-caddy-pro

with that in mind I'm sure he is aware of things going on in the tech world most of aren't, not just posting something he heard from a guy at the bar, keeping up with technology is part of his job/world...LOL

+1. He went through a lot of grief here, too, because it was the early days of WGT and not too many understood what his tool was, preferring to label it  AND him as a cheat. It wasn't, he isn't and I'm happy to see some players still use it. I did for a while and loved it.  :-)

p.s., Thanks for the reassurance, Joe.  ;-)

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Mar 3 2017 9:35 AM

Though far from ideal, there are mobile device emulators out there. I use Nox, mainly to access the video credits available there. The game can be played on it and it's definitely not flash based. I've tried it a few times, and the only real beef I have with it is putting. Aiming is tedious as the inlay blue triangle can't be utilized. 

If flash does go the way of all programs, I suppose I could get used to the MD version, and it's possible that the MD version could be made to be more like the flash version. 

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Fri, Mar 3 2017 9:58 AM

You won't see Flash 100% removed browser support for a very long time. Far too many backend business and educational solutions rely on, for one, a Flash UI which requires FP funtionality. There are so many communication programs out there used daily by corporate people that have Flash functionality built in. 

Search for online Kids Games...ya, 

Youtube isn't and never will be the determining factor in Adobe finally throwing out the source code to the public for self support, which is what they'll end up doing at some point, they'll pretty well have to.

Apple? Who cares, yes I use Apple products daily still so not a hater, but Adobe doesn't care what Apple supports as Apple abandoned professional users long ago in favor of, well no one really knows. Apple killing FP support certainly didn't have any real effect at Adobe that's for sure. All it really did was show people how idiotic Apple's 'walled garden' approach is. 

On a performance comparative basis, if you think this game plays glitchy and bad built around Flash? This game would have been dead and offline years ago had it been written into an HTML5 environment. Performace-wise it's not even a close contest, Flash wins every time hands down. 

So, WGT/TG's concerns on the issue of FP and its game? I doubt there's anyone giving it any real thought at all. No reason to.

Don't foget Adobe themselves stated they'll continue supporting FP for some 10 more years at least, that was in 2015, so still 8 more years roughly of offical support in some fashion. My guess is, long after that someone will pick it up.

*Also, not intended as a contradictive argument starter directed at the OP in anyway. 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Mar 3 2017 10:22 AM

The voice of competence.

Thank you!

• viticult
    34 Posts
    Tue, Dec 4 2018 9:45 AM

Well, Flash disappeared overnight for me...our company has removed it from all desktops.  oh well, WGT was fun while it lasted...

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Tue, Dec 4 2018 3:41 PM

viticult:

Well, Flash disappeared overnight for me...our company has removed it from all desktops.  oh well, WGT was fun while it lasted...

If you have a smart phone or tablet you can play on the WGT mobile app... 

_CHAMPION 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Dec 4 2018 4:55 PM

viticult:

Consider getting a PC at home? 

• DRAGONFIRESr
    229 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 9:05 AM

Sadly, for me anyhow, WGT on mobile is a SAD substitute for WGT on pc!

It was asked, in a wgt poll a while back, if we would support a stand alone WGT client, to which I replied yes, as HELL yes wasnt an option.

So some of us out here are hoping, and waiting with baited breath, that a new WGT, with updated graphics, may be in our future!!!

RSS