Forums

Help › Forums

A simple guide how to be good at putting

Sat, Nov 7 2020 8:53 AM (49 replies)
  • Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Mon, Mar 6 2017 12:09 PM

bg444out:

Hey Joshnosh, ever take out your calculator in a real game and let your buddys stand around, while you figure out your putt? Same with WGT i would think? Try a few putts by feel and enjoy the results. bg444out (Bill)

i take longer over a real putt than in WGT

• Young46
    1,292 Posts
    Mon, Mar 6 2017 1:00 PM

Joshnosh:

i think young is the best putter ive ever seen

I was inspired by walk of lifes punch chart which is amazing

Too kind Josh. I have been away for a few weeks battling some serious WGT burn-out and just an overall disdain for the stagnant path WGT/TopGolf has taken as of late. Anyhow, below is a quick video on a method that relies mainly on feel. It's not full proof by any means, but it works the majority of the time once you get used to it.

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Mon, Mar 6 2017 1:11 PM

Putting is best by feel - for those of you who use an algorythm/calculus i feel are wasting time - there are too many variables. Take a look at FMAGNETS video's, you don't see him using a calculator of any sort - for peete sakes the dude barely looks at reverse angles when setting up his shot lol. To each is own though - i guess we all have unique techniques.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, Mar 6 2017 3:37 PM

Joshnosh:

bg444out:

Hey Joshnosh, ever take out your calculator in a real game and let your buddys stand around, while you figure out your putt? Same with WGT i would think? Try a few putts by feel and enjoy the results. bg444out (Bill)

i take longer over a real putt than in WGT

+1

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, Mar 6 2017 3:50 PM

Thank you Young for taking a break from your break and passing that info along.  I'll definitely watch that, as well as the one mnshiner posted (ty too).

Also, thx to OP Josh for posting his method, although I don't know how far I'll go with it as its been kind of hit and miss.  Might try a practice round and see if it can be tweaked.   

Basically, just looking to be more consistent at putting so appreciate all the methods and info.   

Cheers all!

• jessek12
    102 Posts
    Tue, Mar 7 2017 8:08 AM

krskfr:

Putting is best by feel - for those of you who use an algorythm/calculus i feel are wasting time - there are too many variables. Take a look at FMAGNETS video's, you don't see him using a calculator of any sort - for peete sakes the dude barely looks at reverse angles when setting up his shot lol. To each is own though - i guess we all have unique techniques.

Cool, so I guess we should all just play 15,000 rounds right?  I'm sure all of us have time for that? 

I am really, really sick and tired of certain people continuing to bash those that might want to calculate a more precise way of playing. Maybe some people enjoy doing calculations. Maybe some people are really "gamers" that think this game can be "solved". If you don't like it, don't play with them. But stop coming on the forums to shout down anyone that talks about calculations, equations, or mathematical methods for playing WGT.

• pmm711
    5,514 Posts
    Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:31 AM

jessek12:

krskfr:

Cool, so I guess we should all just play 15,000 rounds right?  I'm sure all of us have time for that? 

I am really, really sick and tired of certain people continuing to bash those that might want to calculate a more precise way of playing. Maybe some people enjoy doing calculations. Maybe some people are really "gamers" that think this game can be "solved". If you don't like it, don't play with them. But stop coming on the forums to shout down anyone that talks about calculations, equations, or mathematical methods for playing WGT.

krskfr..If you don't think Mags uses math when he plays you're sorely mistaken.  I think he's figured out all of the algorithms and WGT is now asking him for design input.  Unfortunately...they can't afford him.

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:49 AM

jessek12:

i wasn't bashing players who use calculators/ formula's to putt, its just a waste of time for me. I didn't need to play 15,000 rounds to conclude this, i never used a calculator once during my 5 years playing this game - as i said mates, to each is own!

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Tue, Mar 7 2017 12:00 PM

pmm711:
    krskfr..If you don't think Mags uses math when he plays you're sorely mistaken.  I think he's figured out all of the algorithms and WGT is now asking him for design input.  Unfortunately...they can't afford him.

Ive watched his videos for a few years now, when i was learning this game, i would tune into what he would do, and i never saw him using a calculator - ever! I could be wrong of course, listen, if you want to try to figure out the folmula for putting - have at it. I don't believe there is one - just my opinion. Each dot moves at different speed (or at least a clump of dots move at different speeds), and that is very difficult to incoporate this variable to formula - it's more of an estimation of fast the average dot is moving. Other disagree, and that's cool - whatever works for ya'll!

• pmm711
    5,514 Posts
    Tue, Mar 7 2017 10:28 PM

krskfr:
    listen, if you want to try to figure out the folmula for putting - have at it. I don't believe there is one - just my opinion.

And you're a mighty damn good putter.  I'm trying to reach those stats...touché!

RSS