Forums

Help › Forums

Staying on Course

Mon, Mar 6 2017 8:38 PM (29 replies)
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 7:30 AM

It seems like WGT may have locked the let's be honest thread. Many of us are very passionate about our believes, loyalty to our Countries and a myriad of other subjects. I am a US military Vet and I believe in things I served for. With that said, I don't begrudge any one from anywhere to come here. You just better be here for the right damn reasons. Make a difference, be a good neighbor, start a business that all citizens are happy to be a customer. Enough of that for now.

Getting back on course, and I mean WGT and the pleasure of playing some golf. I have had a great time since my full return playing AS. Everyone has been fun until yesterday. You all know that the win/loss stats mean nothing to me. I joined a game and some how ended up as the host. I pick the first player to join 99% of the time unless it is totally lopsided, then I will choose the lowest tiered player as my partner. 

Game started out even, even, we went one down, then won 3 in a row. My p was a master and our opponents were  a Master and a Tour Pro. Then it started, the comments, remarks and just being nasty from our opponents. Guess there are many players who don't know the true meaning of golf. Worst comments came from a player who said she was a lady, I believe it was not a lady at all. Another unfortunate player trying to prey on the masses. She/He conceded the match and left with a nasty remark.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 7:56 AM

Sadly it seems to happen far too often.  I've left games before because of that type of behavior.  When I manage to play AS, I only do so with friends or people I know anymore.  

Edit:  As soon as someone took the "Lets be honest" thread into politics I knew it would get locked or pulled.  It's happened before, and WGT is quick to act when it shows up..

WGT won't allow a violation of the posting guidelines to go in that direction.  Hopefully that someone will think twice about doing it again. 

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 8:05 AM

Only had that happen twice in 4 years, both times were from 'anyone' invites. Seems there's a special pool of players perhaps that those invites draw from. 

Guess best just not to do that... ? 

I've never had a bad round where it's setup by players you know... even not play with much, as long as it's players they know.

It's just like real life, I don't play with people looking to jump into a foursome, standing around not looking like they have a clue what's going on. Kinda a tip off that is. 

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 10:05 AM

I gave it the benefit of the doubt. 1 bad one out of 10 isn't bad. I'll keep trying to have fun, and I don't get into religion, politics or sexual preferences, have enough worries at my age.

• BIGAL123
    200 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 11:06 AM

Rich -

It was 4 years and 258 pages - time to get locked, I guess.

Here is my post from FEB 2013 -

Hi - my name is AL - Just turned 70 yesterday - and for my birthday, I hit Tour Master.  Married for 45 years with 3 kids and 5 grandbabies.  I used to enjoy playing AS matches until I hit Master level and didnt feel like I could compete anymore, at least not at the level I wanted to.  I am retired so I read the forums almost everyday and try to play every day. I really love the game but can not play as well IRL.

Keep hitting em str8 !!

Not much has changed since then, except the addition on one more grandchild.  I still read the forums every day, try to play every day and enjoy Yancy's latest escapades.  I would prefer that people would post honest and modest comments while respecting others.

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 11:52 AM

As for the "Lets be Honest" thread.......the intention was brilliant and for the early part of it, possibly first half, most posts were on topic.

Then as usual a thread gets derailed for a multitude of reasons. At that stage for me personally, I elected to delete my post, possibly out of disgust that this thread had deteriorated to such an extent, it became a joke,

In the latter half of the thread there were perhaps 3-4 posts that had any relevance to the OP's original intent. Intent can be argued, as can the honesty component, and only Rich knows that original intent, but I think most of his friends also knew what he meant.  

I have had the honour of playing with Rich, and the games were fun and played in the spirit golf should be played, with banter, enjoyment and a little competitiveness. Alt Shot is about the social aspect, having fun, unwinding and having some laughs. Winning is a bonus but not the priority....for me if is a low priority.

This is the internet, where you get a cross section of society, and as such you will meet all sorts. I try to play with friends now, but occasionally I will  chance randoms.....it can be fun but occasionally you run into a first class dickhead......normally if I strike such a person is one of the few times I actually try to play well.....as they invariably will bail or shut up.

I will never bow to a minority, why should they reduce the fun for the majority? Only if you let them will they do so.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 12:45 PM

renniw52:
     It seems like WGT may have locked the let's be honest thread.

Such a shame.....

Great premis that was hijacked by the plebians.

Andy

• drmoose
    3,531 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 1:56 PM

I play a lot of AS with random players, as people on my friends list are rarely on when I am. I can probably count on one hand in almost six years, the times I've run across rude or disrespectful players. I only mention this as I don't think people should limit themselves to only playing CC members or friends. By far the social aspect of WGT is enhanced by meeting new players, at least it has been for me.

Doc :)

• craigswan
    30,834 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 2:07 PM

Spring is coming .

Real golf time .

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 2:10 PM

I'll still give it my best effort and have fun, that's all I'm here for. For the one's who are so serious and think this is their life, enjoy your few minutes with me and take it for what it was. To all my good friends on WGT, Let'pop a top and let the ball land where it does. We can't control it like some folks do anyhow. It's the spirit, not the result. Any body green, let's raise a little cane here.

SquirrelNutz

RSS