Forums

Help › Forums

Pebble Beach #14

Wed, Nov 28 2018 12:09 PM (42 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jan 14 2017 11:53 PM

Yep I've had trouble with it before too.  What others are saying are true.  B/Spin with the wedges works a treat making sure you hit it hard enough to land on the green and not the rough where the bunker is.

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 3:14 PM

I have made one eagle here from hitting the green in two but it is a risky shot and often leaves you with an almost impossible birdie.

I also try to leave myself around 55 yards from the fairway.    With the elevation change that puts my 60 yard wedge about 5 feet behind the pin and a little b/s will bring it close.   You have to be slightly right of the hole and long or your shot will spin too much and end up almost on the left fringe.

It's a great par 5 in my view with a tiny landing area.

Will

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 12:17 PM

needs to be reshot. The 14th green is now totally different

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 2:47 PM

derekortt:

Like that will happen.

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 5:40 AM

derekortt:

You'll see these first.

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 5:40 AM

Geez, I'm seeing double today.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 6:00 AM

I debated greatly on whether to reply to this or not, and after reading these comments twice,  came to the conclusion that I should, in the hopes that I don't sound foolish.    All the advice is spot on, but it all says the same thing, whatever works for you.  The pros are at pebble this week, and watching them, some try for birdie, others happy with par.  I even Google this hole and found a 24 min long video on how to play it.  McCord said that there has been 9s and even an 11, recorded on this hole.  At our levels of play,we have all learned that this is simply a game of math, equations for windage, elevation, etc.  But sometimes we forget the simplest subtraction problem.  That is, good course management minus ego, equals good scoring.  All of us are guilty of trying to exceed our abilities, on this hole I have found that by setting my ego for par, I play this hole better.  After a par here, I am OK with it, therefore not upset and thus have little chance of allowing my feelings to influence the shots that follow.  I have been in good positions for par and found that Birdies started falling, each of us has a hole or two that are our nemesis, mine happens to be the long par 4 at Pinehurst, no matter hard I try to score well there, I get burnt, but by settling for par, I move on, remembering that par never hurt anyone's average, but the dreaded bogey is hard to recover from.  I would rather shoot an 8 under par, with a par on this hole, than post a 6 under, cuz I let my ego help me post a double, or even triple bogey. Sometimes trying too hard can be fatal to your score.  Good luck.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 10:35 AM

I doesn't sound foolish at all. PB14 is one of those holes I am always happy to par and move on. It is not that hard to birdie, but it is not one of those holes where birdie is expected.

On courses like Merion, Pinehurst and Olympic, your logic is impeccable.

• Aboogaba
    20 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 12:30 AM

The 14 is a par hole  . I just parred it today, yes ive birdied ita couple of times  and yes you can map it in practice to come a certain distance like 100 yards away and then fnd out what club to use with how much force . now at least yu have a bearing for wind changes.. I jus purchased a 145 yrd wood  with the wind on your side and good cubs you can actually put right up on the green but you have to go around through the mouth opening where the green meets the fairway . even if the ball rolls back down you can even put it up from there .  Just be happy to par that hole !!!  The 14 can turn into a double and triple bogey really easy and really fast , just when you think that you are going to beat it. I have 30 tp5x balls and 20 play 9s,, but today I scored a 68 in the tourney with standard balls is funny the way the standard balls perform more like real golf . would have been a 67 but I bogeyed the 17 .. the game tried to shaft me 3 times and did do really bad mtre and no lag on the 16 but I managed to save par with a 30 ft putt.. any way the 14 hole green has such a small diameter where the pin is . I play the ball far to the right on top of the green and even on the fringe or the rough where then I can pitch or putt it down. 

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 6:05 PM

mkg335:
    I'm not one of the aces

'nough said.

RSS