Help › Forums

browser

rated by 0 users
Fri, Dec 23 2016 5:31 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • club578
    561 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 8:11 AM

what is the absolute best browser for wgt?

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 8:44 AM

No such thing old son. It's whatever works best for you at any given time. Between Windows updates, Flash updates and WGT updates they can vary almost daily. I run Ghost, Firefox, Chrome, Blackhawk, Comodo Ice Dragon,and Opera on this box of tricks. I have run Ghost impeccably for some time now and I keep that solely for WGT. Should it fail at any point I will just switch to one of the others as I used to before I installed Ghost.

Trial and error 578. What may work for one, may not work for another.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 9:24 AM

Add Maxthon...

FF is a bit peculiar these days - last Flash update is said to be bad. I run Flash 21 but only in solo games => too many Flash crashes.

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 9:45 AM

1.5 for Maxthon as although I have it installed I haven't used it since it did the vanishing spacebar trick a while back. I might give it a whirl to see if it's repaired itself.

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 9:53 AM

Oh and I forgot those damn ads that appear all over the page. Still there. Back in the bin Maxthon

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 10:07 AM

club578:

what is the absolute best browser for wgt?

I have used a dedicated browser-only for the game-ever since I started once I figured out that a lot of the local stuff you have going on affects play. I set up one browser with the home page set to the game client and then put the icon in the Quick Launch bar. When I go to play all I do is click that and I'm in the game client. No WGT main page nonsense gets in the way. 

A lot of players don't realize that clicking that Play Now button opens up the game in a separate window but the main page stays open in the background. All the main traffic on the main site is still going on in the background and that can definitely get in the way of your play-you're using the same connection for all that data transfer. At least close the main page if you go this way.

The browser I've used for the longest time is Comodo Dragon. Everything in the browser settings is disabled except for Adblock and Flash and I honestly can't remember the last time I had to deal with any kind of meter issue. :-)

• Fencer100
    2,063 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 1:47 PM

I have used Maxthon for nearly 3 yrs now. I use Maxthon4 and version 4.5.1000 and have very few issues to speak of. 

I put CCleaner through every day and have it set to clear the history when I log out. I too log into the Game Client, not the WGT Main page, and Maxthon is my dedicated WGT browser.

But no browsers work the same for everyone, so it's best to find one that suits your set up

• joemt825
    124 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 8:17 PM

Tried them all.  For me it's Maxthon, then Comodo Dragon. 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 10:22 PM

Using Maxthon 4.48.2000 here and it runs like Jack the Bear. Also have Maxthon 5 but just don't like it as well for gameplay.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Dec 22 2016 4:57 AM

First thing to remember about any browser you choose you use to play WGT is how well it works with flash, And which type of flash that it runs. That is if it is NPAPI or PPAPI aka pepper flash. Mozilla and Maxthon run NPAPI flash and most browsers running it work very well with flash. Most if not all up to date Chrome based browsers use PPAPI pepper flash. Although pepper flash is better than when it was first introduced it is still rather sluggish responding to mouse clicks.  

If you find a browser that you like to play WGT with keep that browser set  "NOT auto update. Because a newer version might not work as well as the version you are running at the time. And with Chrome based browsers an updated version might switch to pepper flash only and as I stated earlier pepper flash  just isn't as good for WGT as NPAPI flash. 

Best thing you can do is experiment with different browsers to play WGT and when you play use your chosen browser for playing WGT and nothing else, Use another browser for the forums and videos and the like. 

• PAGES
RSS