Forums

Help › Forums

Help Wanted...Santas Needed, Christmas 2016

Sat, Jan 14 2017 4:10 PM (38 replies)
  • mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 10:06 PM

Well, it's that time of year again folks. It's the 5th Annual 12 Days of Christmas event. Can you believe we've been doing this for five years? Unbelievable. I'd like to thank everyone in the community that has helped make this event possible year after year. I am sincerely moved by your generosity.

As some of you know, I have recently stated in various threads that I may cancel this years event for reasons that I won't get into here. So unfortunately, there won't be twelve days of gifting items from the pro shop this year, as has happened in past years. But I did come up with an alternative idea.

As many of you know we lost our dear friend and fellow community member Andyson, who sadly passed away back on July 4th of this year. Andy, in my book, was the leader of the pack in the forums. He set the bar for wit and humor. Come on, how many of us couldn't wait for his next issue of the National Enquirer to come out? Also, Andy designed the artwork that I use every year for this event, so he'll always have a special place in my heart.

So, I'd like to dedicate this years "12 Days of Christmas" event to our dear friend Andyson and here's my idea...

This is Andy's obituary. In it, it clearly states "In lieu of flowers, please contribute to springerrescue.org." So, why don't you join me in honoring Andy's, or his family's, final request and whatever money you had set aside to participate in this years "12 Days of Christmas" event... why don't you donate it to his chosen charity in his honor.

Here is the link- springerrescue.org, look over on the left side of the home page under "Ways to Help", then "Donate to ESRA". There is a spot on the donation page where you can say who the the donation is in memory of, please put Dennis "Andyson" Anderson.  (Full disclosure- I am not affiliated with this organization, nor do I know anyone that works there.)

For those of you that live outside the US, my good friend Alanti, who lives in Australia,  was kind enough to make a dry run and has assured me that players living outside the US can access the site and donate with no problem.

If you want to honor Andy in some other way, go out and pay it forward. Go buy some scratch off lottery tickets and hand them out to random people walking down the street, when you're at the drive thru getting your morning coffee on your way to work...pay for the guy behind you, go help serve meals to the homeless, go to a department store and buy some gift cards and pass them out to random customers....do something.

I know a lot of you won't agree with the direction I've taken this event this year, but I can live with that and if this is the last year this event is run...I can live with that too. I just wanted to honor my friend Andyson.

In closing I'd like to thank Alanti for his help. I'd also like to thank Paulton and Twominusone for graciously helping to update Andyson's original artwork to reflect this years 5th annual event. Thanks guys!

Join me, don't join me...it's entirely up to you.

Happy Holidays all.

MC

In lieu of flowers, please contribute to springerrescue.org. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?pid=180617186#sthash.elix3BJ8.dpuf
    In lieu of flowers, please contribute to springerrescue.org. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?pid=180617186#sthash.elix3BJ8.dpuf

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 10:50 PM

Can't think of a bettter way to celebrate the reason for the season and honor Andyson.

Well done MC.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 11:01 PM

Nice......Well played:)

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2016 12:05 AM

Pheeewwwww, scared me for a minute!!! Well done! VERY well done!!!!!!!!!!

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2016 1:26 AM

mrcaddie:
    For those of you that live outside the US, my good friend Alanti, who lives in Australia,  was kind enough to make a dry run and has assured me that players living outside the US can access the site and donate with no problem.

mrcaddie:
    Here is the link- springerrescue.org,

It works with a Spanish bank issued Visa..so no problem donating in Europe either.

I think this was the right way to go this year.

Nice ideas Wayne !

Andy

• garypinhunter
    1,049 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2016 3:22 AM

Dedicating this to Andyson is a great idea Mrcaddie.  Here is the tribute page I did for Andy after his passing. Here is the  LINK

Gary

• drmoose
    3,531 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2016 5:15 AM

Very well thought out & fitting MC. Happy Holidays everyone.

Doc :)

• Leggoman13
    8,252 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2016 6:58 AM

mrcaddie:
    So, I'd like to dedicate this years "12 Days of Christmas" event to our dear friend Andyson and here's my idea...

great ideas, suggestions and awesome way to do it

great job all who contributed to this year 5th Annual

thank you very much in advance to all that will in a way or another find a way in their hearts to contribute to and in keeping the sharing spirits this holidays season.

cheers all and Happy Greetings this Christmas and New Year

Pierre :o)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2016 7:21 AM

Got ya Wayne, fantastic job. I really don't trust too many charities. Seems that .99 out of every dollar goes for admin, overhead or whatever. I was at the grocery store this morning picking up the last items my wife needed for her annual cookie baking marathon with her sisters. My items cost a little less than $15.00. The lady in front of me had a hand full of coupons and the food stamp vouchers. I gave her $40.00 in cash and told her to use her vouchers and coupons next time. I told her Merry Christmas from Andyson. I was proud to be Andyson just once in my life.

Merry Christmas to all the members of WGT.

Rich

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2016 10:43 AM

Superb Wayne, and I hope Dennis is looking down and sees that some of the WGT community of which he was an integral part of, has banded together in support of a trust he obviously was passionate about. I am proud of this initiative. 

If you can donate, the amount does not matter, any amount in memory of Dennis is awesome, so please get behind this.

If you cannot afford to donate, there are ways you can help the Springer Rescue in the way of volunteering.....if you can do this, that would also be brilliant. Please look at the website.

Obviously for those outside of the US, you can make a donation in Dennis' name (I have done so a couple of times and will again), but Wayne has given other ideas. Even look up your local Springer rescue or RSPCA to volunteer.

I fully support Wayne and even if a small number people support this, it is a gazillion times better than supporting the usual pro shop giveaways IMO.....in light of WGT;s inactions around Andyson!

What warmed me is reading what Rich posted - he has had his own issues, but still would give the shirt off his back......that is the Christmas spirit. Kudos Rich.

I will be honest, like Rich I can be skeptical of many charities, but I am pretty sure this is not one where execs cream the donations via exorbitant salaries. 

Out of good faith, I also would ask WGT/TG to donate....after all it is the season for giving.

Alan

RSS