Forums

Help › Forums

What is required to advance to Champion

Tue, Dec 13 2022 10:45 AM (39 replies)
  • CarloWise
    7 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 5:36 AM

I just made Tour Legend and I am curious what is required to advance to Champion? To make Tour Legend I had to get my avg to 60.00 and have played 500 ranked rounds. What is the requirement for Champion? Thanks in advance for your help.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 5:40 AM

Congrats! (unreachable for me)

It's 59.00 avg and 200 RRs.

• CarloWise
    7 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 7:04 AM

Thanks for that bit of info. Just played my first round as a TL. Scored -3 and my avg went from 60.00 to 66.00??How in the world did I lose 6 entire points?

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 7:15 AM

Your average calculation has been reset, so your first TL score is
    your first TL average.

BTW: +-Par ain't relevant - it's all about the scores!

• CarloWise
    7 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 7:56 AM

Ok then. When I was Legend, I needed a -6 each round to lower my avg by .01. It took forever to go from Legend to TL (I made Legend at lvl 69 and just made TL and lvl 99.
    If I have to score such low scores (e.g. -6 a each round to lower my avg) then it will become impossible to ever reach Champion. How the heck do others do it? 

• CarloWise
    7 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 7:58 AM

I just posted another -3 score and my avg did not move at all.
    It will be impossible to lower my avg to the required 59.00 at this rate. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 8:05 AM

CarloWise:

I just posted another -3 score and my avg did not move at all.
    It will be impossible to lower my avg to the required 59.00 at this rate. 

Yes, it will take a while but it's not impossible. That 200 rounds you need also includes your average fluctuating with every score until you get to 200. You will then be what is called saturated-your average will never go up again and you begin the arduous task of eliminating all of the +30/+60 scores you shot to get that 200.

Then the march to 59, .01-.02 at a time.  :-)

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 8:12 AM

CarloWise:
    Ok then. When I was Legend, I needed a -6 each round to lower my avg by .01. It took forever to go from Legend to TL (I made Legend at lvl 69 and just made TL and lvl 99.
    If I have to score such low scores (e.g. -6 a each round to lower my avg) then it will become impossible to ever reach Champion. How the heck do others do it?

-6? I'm afraid to say that you did not yet understand average calculation and the tiering process. Tell me the score numbers of your TL rounds and I might be able to explain.

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 8:26 AM

CarloWise:
    How the heck do others do it? 

Basically, there are two approaches.

The one approach requires (for most people) a considerable amount of time. As others have already noted, your average will saturate at 200 rounds. If you play default tees, then the process of getting to Champion will probably take a lot of time because you will have to shoot sub-30 rounds (if you play 9 holes) or sub-60 rounds if you play 18. Clearly, that can be done, but it will take a while to get there.

A lot of people have taken that approach and have made Champion. Indeed, many of those individuals have averages that are well below 59. They're very knowledgable about the game and are excellent players. In my opinion, they are to admired and commended. My hat is off to them. I can see myself getting to Tour Legend (towards the end of next year), but getting to Champion will be a bit of a reach for me. If I do get to Champion, it will probably take a good 2 years after I reach Tour Legend. 

The second approach is one that others take. Saturation is still at 200 rounds. That doesn't change. But what they do is to play a lot of country club red-tee tournaments. In other words, they don't play from the default tees. Taking that approach will get one to Champion much faster. And if that's the way they want to get there, I suppose that's fine.

The only issue I ever have with red-tee Champions is when they seem to take pride in the fact that they are at Champion tier. But I think it's simply a vanity average. To me, it's like having a self-published book from a vanity publisher and then going out and bragging that one is a published author. OK. Fine. Technically, that's true. But still....

That's just my take; others may differ. 

• WStdenis
    106 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2016 9:56 AM

well if that was true i be a champ already i have over 250 ranked as tl n a 57 avg and have not turned

RSS