Forums

Help › Forums

Just an observation (if anyone cares)

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 26 2009 5:49 PM (5 replies)
  • GreenHits
    84 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 11:17 AM

1st of all I commend anyone that runs a tourny for their time and effort. It is a whole lot of work.

I see new tournys popping up by the hour it seems like. I would say about 25% of them end up actually finishing. Mostly this is no fault to the person running them, other then over estimating the people that play in them. People join these things before they think about if they actually have time to complete it. This pretty much throws a wrench in before it gets going. Pairs of 3...forget it. 1 person can mess that up in a heartbeat. There are also so many going that everyone has commitments all over the place. 

I would say. Keep it simple! Dumb it down for people.  2v2 best ball, round robins all these variations sound like great ideas but are so hard to pull off. 4 people able to get on at the same time, no less not 1 of them having a pc issue during the round. Good luck with that. 

I haven't even broached the subject of just plain bad etiquette. People hop on a forum and try to sign up halfway through. Wake up people, when you see scores posted you are too late. People ask questions they can find the answer too in 30 sec if they just looked. Hey who am I paired with? Check the link dude! Not everything can be done for you!  Oh that info is 3 pages back; I couldn’t possibly find that on my own. 

One tip would be to read that long paragraph or two on the 1st page. All the info is usually there.  When the players educate themselves the whole thing runs so much smoother.

If I’m coming off like a jerk, I don't mean too.  I just see what’s hurting these tournys and would like to add my 2 cents as always.

mfandrews, ed chavez , Thunderbird these comments don’t apply to your events. Your tournys are awesome and I look forward to the next one. I’m sure there are other tournys running smoothly that I’m leaving out as well. 

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 11:23 AM

I have often thought this, but have had the balls/guts to go on a forum and say it.

People like mfandrews run great, almost perfect tourneys. Him and only a couple of others are at the top of the scale.

Then there's the bottom of the scale. I would have to say that I'm somewhere near this,and my tourney, 'WGT Champions League', came before the mass of tourneys, and still didn't work out. And still hasn't finished!

GreenHits, I welcome your opinion, and I bet you're not the only one with them. And no, you don't sound like a jerk to me.

P.S. What's the odds that someone sees this thread and puts 'SIGN ME UP!'?

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 11:29 AM

Sign me up!!!

Thanks.

edit:

Seriously though, I agree.   There are way too many user created tournaments now.   I've played in a few in the past and they were a good way to meet and play different players, but right now we're bordering on overkill.

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 11:35 AM

sabbath270
    Pro 69.31
    I can play only during Summer Equinox on odd numbered years, thanks.

But yea, I agree.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 12:20 PM

Greenhits

I couldn't decribe it any better myself the way you have put it Greenhits.What annoys me, is that people sign up for these tourney's and actually wait a week or so to start there 1st round.If your gonna sign up for a tourney, get in touch with your playing partner as soon as possible,and play your match ,simple as.The tournament will run its self,as long as the organiser keeps updating the brackets every other day or so.....JOB DONE..

And yeah,as regards to 3+ players getting together to play an 18 hole game is tough, and takes about 90 mins or so to complete a game.Pairs and Round Robin formats seem to work ok

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 5:49 PM

Thank you Greenhits for the comment about my tourneys

RSS