Forums

Help › Forums

Merion Greens

Fri, Nov 4 2022 12:53 PM (58 replies)
  • Steve915
    68 Posts
    Sat, Dec 10 2016 11:00 AM

Merion greens are a JOKE.

Good luck on #5.  The only way to play it is to hit the ball in the hole on your second shot.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sat, Dec 10 2016 11:17 AM

There's no doubt about it, the 5th hole (as well as the 6th) is a tough putting hole. But here's a thread with some good tips on playing the 5th hole.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/177456/1209425.aspx#1209425

It can be parred, with the occasional birdie. I think I've birdied it a couple of times. Once when my approach happened to end up about a foot from the hole; the other time was a long birdie putt, with considerable break. I was lucky on that one. I hit my approach a bit too hard. In any case, the putt went in. :-) 

https://everyplay.com/videos/34143407 

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, Dec 10 2016 12:04 PM

Steve915:

Good luck on #5.  The only way to play it is to hit the ball in the hole on your second shot.

Like anything else, you have to practice to get better.  Playing 965 Ranked Rounds in 7 1/2 years won't do it.  That's less than 3 RR per week.  How often do you play Merion?

I hated Merion for quite a while after I first played it.  But I forced myself to try it again and again (the practice I mentioned above).  I eventually got to where I developed  a love/hate relationship with it.  Loved the F9, haded the B9.

So I still forced myself to practice it.  Your best score is a respectable 65.  But it's a very demanding course that requires some course management.  You have to plan your shots, and knowing your clubs is extremely important.  

I saw you use the Max spin wedges, but you also are using the starter ball.  It's hard to stop that ball where you want it on any course.  Impossible to be close on #5.

We now have a practice putting green available.  Use it on the hard setting and learn to putt at Merion, especially downhill.  

Bottom line is you need to "Practice, Practice, Practice" to improve.   If you are willing to work at it, you can get better.  Or you can complain how impossible and unrealistic it is.  Your choice.

Good Luck,

phred952

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Dec 11 2016 7:55 AM

Hole #5 just don't get greedy. Play it like you should play # 9

at Oakmont. Play it short of the green. An easy 9 to 12 yard pitch leaves an easy par putt and with luck a pitch in birdie. 

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2016 11:24 AM

Yep. And note that Merion in a US Open venue in US Open condition.

It's supposed to be tough to score well on and is set up to test player skill in as many ways as possible.

There are a limited number of ways to Play #5 so you can make bird or par.

There are lots and lots of ways to play #5 to ensure posting an over par score on that hole.

Play smart if you don't want to post a big number.

Merion #5 - Eagle

• hognutz03
    13 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2016 12:14 PM

Talking about greens i have one question . why am i at different  spots on the green relative to the hole. when i putt  i used to be straight behind the hole when putting. now i"m like 2 or 3 feet  to left or right where the angle is different. Do i have something set up wrong .                               thx

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 7:43 AM

No.

• BMX123
    627 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 8:58 AM

x

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 7:04 PM

replay.aspx?ID=3357f5fd ed15 41cc 983c a6c7013eb4ec

Or this.

Had a left to right wind. Knowing that the green rolls right to left I kept the marker on the pin and let the wind take the ball right. Hit it short for the roll out. The WGT gods did the rest.

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2016 7:43 PM

Steve915:

I agree Steve...remember the US Open 2013.......+1 won the tournament. The only player laughing was Justin Rose....the rest complained about the greens.....

RSS