Forums

Help › Forums

wind Calculator

Sat, Apr 25 2020 2:10 AM (87 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 4:19 PM

I searched the forums once about how the stat is calculated and that seemed to be the consensus (only par 4 and par 5 holes and GIR). 

• twinponds169
    3,018 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 7:43 PM

Robert1893:
    In the mobile version, it displays distance to two significant digits. 

Found it. That is one stat where I have always just wondered how close or far away I am from the next number down. Always play on PC, mobile just for vids. Now I know. Thank you Robert !

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 7:57 PM

@twinponds

You're very welcome! 

• thesupernova
    7,331 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 9:35 PM

goldeena:

WaLk0fLiFe:

goldeena:

This is all very easy and you can do it on a spreadsheet - without clocks lols,

Input values for wind, angle, distance and elevation:

In words:

Headwind/ Tailwind = 4.4% & 3% respectively (for a Bilko approximation) times the distance divided by 10, times the wind times the cosine of the wind angle (in degrees) plus elevation divided by 3

Sidewind =  the wind times distance divided by 70 times the sin of the wind angle (in degrees)

In maths the 3 main forumae are:

Headwind component: input this in to excel

=(((($B$3/10)*0.044)*$B$1)*((COS(($B$2)*(3.14/180)))))+($B$4/3)

add this to the wind figure you input in B1

Tailwind: input this in to excel

=-(((($B$3/10)*0.03)*$B$1)*((COS(($B$2)*(3.14/180)))))+($B$4/3)

add this to the wind figure you input in B1 (notice it starts with a minus)

Side wind component: input this in to excel

=((($B$3/70*$B$1)*((SIN(($B$2)*(3.14/180))))

Wind angle is measured with an on-screen protractor overlayed on screen using the software 'custom desktop logo' and between 12 o clock and 3 (clockwise) for headwinds and 6 o clock and 3 (anti-clockwise) for tailwinds.

The lateral distance from the flagstick can be measured using a home made T-square and taking the flag to be 7foot tall, again you can scale and overlay such a gadget on-screen using the magnificent 'custom desktop logo'

Or just download somebody elses effort for the no-brainer version, lols.

It's just a 'showing off exercise on my behalf don't panic, lololos

**footnote: it was this 'casual' effort of a wind predictor that set me on a quest for the ultimate wind tool - see my WGT request for 1st nobel prize in computer golf thread**

No offense but why would anyone trust your wind advice when you have been here since 2012, can't break 60 and have an average distance to pin of 15ft? I am not slagging you. I think these are legit points and should cause some reservation/concern lol

Oh well no offense back to you but I come and go with this game and stats mean crap-all because I don't hide behind my best scores, the good the bad and the ugly all get played to a finish usually (unless I have made a particularly glaring error during a game - playing to prediction is open to making some absolute hummers of mistakes unless you don't check your numbers), and besides which course knowledge is just as important and not as easily acquired - I should convince you of all people because I took your sheets for punch out of roughs and proved you were accurate enough with it but it could have all been achieved with just a few shots and a linear line of best fit equation - but I didn't mean to make you look a bit naive by doing that though I can if you want, lols.

Anyway this place has become too much of a B hive for arrogant champions proclaiming their all superior take on things - by the time I am a 108 level champion sweetheart I will be turning over 57's for toffee (probably within a month or 2 if I decide to stay around this time), but yet as we all know wind calcs are just 1 or a number of things that need to be in place.

I have shown you whats what as far as prediction is concerned, and I am sure I will turn you over too in a few of these ready go's so watch for my name on the scoresheets, yeah I'm rarely breaking 60 at the moment but the scores are tumbling down now and respectible enough at low 60's, you see a lot of champions with scores no better than mine really.

This place leaves a bad taste in my mouth overall - it is littered with 'em, old boys arrogant champions, you're welcome to it.

WOW

Now I know how Archie feels after reading such an inspiring post.

Smiles

• Young46
    1,292 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2017 12:59 AM

WaLk0fLiFe:

No offense but why would anyone trust your wind advice when you have been here since 2012, can't break 60 and have an average distance to pin of 15ft? I am not slagging you. I think these are legit points and should cause some reservation/concern lol

I don't believe this was meant to be an attack by Jo.

goldeena:

Oh well no offense back to you but I come and go with this game and stats mean crap-all

A quick look at your profile shows poor statistics in multiple areas to be honest (putting, scrambling, GIR, etc.). So while you say you don't care about statistics, it's the only real measuring stick we as players have to view our peers. Based off what I see it's understandable why Jo expressed concern.

goldeena:

because I don't hide behind my best scores, the good the bad and the ugly all get played to a finish usually (unless I have made a particularly glaring error during a game

This statement is condescending. Your rounds "all get played" ... but some don't? Are you insinuating that Jo withdrawals from a vast majority of his events?

goldeena:

Anyway this place has become too much of a B hive for arrogant champions proclaiming their all superior take on things 

I have never seen anything like that in the forums. A few of the top players have been nice enough to come in and give their advice and share spreadsheets. I have never read someone declaring their way to be superior to another method. 

goldeena:

by the time I am a 108 level champion sweetheart I will be turning over 57's for toffee (probably within a month or 2 if I decide to stay around this time), but yet as we all know wind calcs are just 1 or a number of things that need to be in place.

Unlikely.

goldeena:

I have shown you whats what as far as prediction is concerned, and I am sure I will turn you over too in a few of these ready go's so watch for my name on the scoresheets, yeah I'm rarely breaking 60 at the moment but the scores are tumbling down now and respectible enough at low 60's, you see a lot of champions with scores no better than mine really.

Just because you may have found a way to predict winds, that alone does not ensure rounds in the 50's. There are numerous variables built into this game that defy any spreadsheet in existence. Then there's the most challenging facet of the game, making putts! On a side note, If you haven't yet, I would suggest reading the WGT patents. There's a lot of math I believe you would enjoy.

goldeena:

you see a lot of champions with scores no better than mine really.

With the inception of red tee ranked rounds, it's not that difficult to become a Champion nowadays. I only hope that Tour Champion tier will be a bit more stringent on the requirements side.

goldeena:

This place leaves a bad taste in my mouth overall - it is littered with 'em, old boys arrogant champions, you're welcome to it.

Anyone that knows Jo would not use arrogant as a way to describe him. If anything, he's one of the nicest people I have met. I have spent hours on Skype/Discord talking to him both one-on-one and in group settings. He's never been anything except kind and helpful.

- Jason (Arrogant Champion)

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2017 1:15 AM

goldeena:

I don't hide behind my best scores

You should, they're big enough to hide pretty much anything.

And of course this place has left a bad taste in your mouth, when you spout such a vast quantity of shite it's gonna leave some residue in your mouth. 

This is an open forum, people have the right to say pretty much whatever they want in reply to the posts of others.  Staying sort of on topic is always nice but I don't think that's an issue here as WoL and myself both expressed our concerns about you telling people how to calculate for wind when it appears you aren't actually very good at it.  Advice given by someone who is clearly good at what they're trying to teach is always more readily accepted.  Sadly you continue to post your ludicrous formulas filled with utterly worthless and unnecessarily complex garbage and seem to expect us to all fall off our chairs in amazement at your intellect.

Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

I never claim to be among the best here but I can give most a run for their money in matchplay.  My average is a joke of course, not because I quit bad rounds but because of saturation.  I play anything, uneven lies, free gear only, right now we have a tourney running that only allows you to use irons and a putter.

So no, I ain't a red tee champion or, I hope, an arrogant one either.   I'm just a player who's been here 7 years and has been bumped up the tiers by the system WGT has in place here.

You probably see it differently though.

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2017 2:01 AM

I have never seen anything like that in the forums. A few of the top players have been nice enough to come in and give their advice and share spreadsheets. I have never read someone declaring their way to be superior to another method. 

Anyone that knows Jo would not use arrogant as a way to describe him. If anything, he's one of the nicest people I have met. I have spent hours on Skype/Discord talking to him both one-on-one and in group settings. He's never been anything except kind and helpful.

- Jason (Arrogant Champion)

Just my tuppence worth,

Regarding "arrogant" Champs, I'm sure there are a fair share out there but i've yet to meet them, The 1st Champ i met was a fellow Irish man Sevequinn9 who took me under his wing/showed me the ropes & when i kept asking him "What about this/How" he suggested i check out fmags & young46 on YouTube who at the time i never heard of!

I then came across 11BC2 (Sean) who couldn't have been more helpful (spent hours chatting & playing with him on Discord & then i fired off fmags a PM with a specific question & he replied in spades.

Then through Discord i was introduced to LeHew (The 1st American Champ & 4th/5th overall & he did it with starter balls!) & through him i met Jo.

Just playing with & listening to Jake (LeHew) & Jo "What you hit there, How much power, What spin etc" has brought my game on leaps & bounds

I still refer/go on YouTube to check out fmags & Jason on Twitch (Have spoken to Jason on Discord also)

So thanks again to all the "arrogant" Champs i've met, Yis bunch of feckers! ;)

Ken

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2017 2:18 AM

@MainzMan

+1

Very well said.

MainzMan:
    And of course this place has left a bad taste in your mouth, when you spout such a vast quantity of shite it's gonna leave some residue in your mouth. 

Yieew!! You made me picture it... Having a remarkable ability to express oneself is not always a good thing, I guess. LOL

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2017 4:16 AM

This chart was put out years ago on a Forum Post, and I give this to newer players. It has worked very well for a long time and for a lot of players.

I forget who made this, but it works as a great guide.

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2017 5:02 AM

WaLk0fLiFe:

Free wind calculator I made (this works best with level 81 Nike ball)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0xNwnoxO610LVY2ZC05QWU2LTA/view?usp=sharing

just download it from top right for open office. If you don't have open office it's free and downloadable from here https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

Video tutorial/demo on how to use :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUkPMQYGJ2A&feature=youtu.be

personally, i prefer your game with 90bb but a lot of players dislike the 90bb. your wind math for 90bb is interesting but the same formula doesn't work in heavywind sidewind. i tried all the possible solution considering degrees, considering angle, considering the clock, considering the spin but nothing seems to work or better nothing is able to make me land at 1-2 yrd. i know it s very trycky do that on heavywind above all when we meet a 28-30 sidewind but its math and i m sure there will be a solution to do it using a different formula and not considering the 260 and 180 as principal parameter.  confirm or not??? unlocking your file is possible see all the formulas u used to create this calculator and it s not so different from the one used for 90. there are only some parameter to delete to play not fbs.

- if u share the name of the "mad" i can personally f... o.. him by all wgt community..  :)) joke..

RSS